Vet Tech Journals: Stupid hospital cat.....

Old September 28th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

Default Vet Tech Journals: Stupid hospital cat.....

On a lighter note, we had some other excitement today besides the
ktiten drama.

Ok, R, the clinic manager has cats of her own. And she like flowers.
HER cats aren't interested in flowers.

So at some point she brought a potted flower into her office.

Sergio is the Hospital Resident Feline Spawn from Hell. Sergio and the
other hospital cats have recently been QUITE put out because they are
all fat and now are being fed only once a day instead of twice.

R really LOVES Sergio, despite the fact that he can be quite a meany
and gives you Glares of Death that would make a terrorist cringe.

So imagine her horror when she was working in her office today, and
turns to see Sergio chomping on her flower and his mouth and face is
all yellow (probably from the pollen) Apparently the flower had been
in the office for a while and Sergio had hardly ever paid attention to
it.

Oh, and did I mention that the flower was a Stargazer Lily? Lilies are
POISONOUS to CATS!!!!!

*CUE HORRIFIED PLOT TWISTING MUSIC*

I'm working in treatment when R carries Sergio in and tells me
frantically that about him chomping on the plant. J and I filled a
syringe and flushed out Sergios mouth, much to his dismay. Then i took
a wash cloth and some soap and began scrubbing his yellow face.

Most of the yellow stuff came out, but there still was a bunch on his
face. I tried to assure R that we probably got most of it, but
meanwhile she and the other vets were consulting their books on the
symptoms of cats who had eaten lilies

R firmly insists that Sergio get a bath to wash the rest of his face
off.

Ooooooooooooo......ok so now Sergio has gotten his mouth flushed with
water, his face scrubbed with soap AND water, and NOW has to get a
complete bath.

Ironically he seems to take it pretty well. But one of the symptoms of
lily poisoning is lethargy so we can't be sure if he was feeling the
effects or was just REALLY patient.

Sergio is now in the dryer and some of his face is STILL yellow, and we
are talking and asking R half-jokingly and half seriously, "Why the
heck did you have a poisonous plant in your office in the FIRST place?"

Her cats don't touch plants, and the lily had been there for a while
and Sergio, the only hospital cat that goes into her office, never
touched it.

Poor R is DEVASTATED and keeps saying how much she loves Sergio.
Meanwhile we are saying things like, "Aww, ya don't like that do ya,
Sergio? Well that's what you get for eating plants you dummy."

Meanwhile one of the vets is on the phone with Poison Control.

When cats ingest lilies the biggest this is not GI irritation, but
kidney failure. So Dr. C got info from Poison Control and came out to
say that Sergio needed in house labwork to check his kidney function,
and needed to get onto IV fluids immediately.

Oh, and i DID mention that this cat is a Spawn from Hell, right?

After that experience with Woody last saturday i wasn't looking too
forward to this. But I got a good grip and L made her venipuncture.
She hit the vein but for some reason the catether wasn't threading. So
she pulled out and tried again.

Sergio exploded into a hissing and screaming ball of fur. I held on
for like two seconds and let him go. He jumped down off the exam table
and started stalking off but Dr. C picked him up. His face showed he
was a little surprised that I let him go.

Uh I'm sorry, but i'm NOT holding on to a cat when it goes beserk. No
f****** way.

Anyway, E held him and L finally got the catheter in. We hooked him up
to fluids and gave him a break.

But we still needed blood to run in house lab tests.

L is an experienced technician, but she's also just bitter in general
and has a sharp tongue. She's from New York, you know. She kinda took
me under her wing since i'm starting out and will be licensed soon.

She scruffed Sergio and stretched him out so i could get blood from his
back leg.

I made my venipuncture but i didn't hit the vein, so i started to
adust.....

RRREEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok it might have looked funny from afar, but i literally JUMPED up and
to my right about a foot. L regained control of Sergio and said, "I
did have him, he wasn't going anywhere." I grimaced and said,

"Uh well, i'm sorry, but i do NOT trust this cat." Meanwhile in my
head i'm trying to think I am GOING to get this cat's blood.

We reposition and try again. I try to think postive thoughts. I am
STRONGER than this cat. I'm SMARTER than this cat. I'm the one with
OPPOSABLE THUMBS. There's just NO WAY that this cat is gonna.........

RRRRRREEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!

I jumped up and away again. L regained control and said, "Kristi you
can't be scared of this. You're worrying too much and you need to
relax."

By this point i was really frustrated and said. "Well, sorry but if
i'm sticking a needle into a cat and the cat goes BERSERK i'm getting
the HELL OUT OF DODGE!!!"

She got someone else to hold, and i put down the syringe to let her get
it, and stalked away.

You bet i was scared. i'm sorry but when i have to work on something
that has the potential to do SEVERE and PAINFUL damage to me, you bet
i'm gonna be a little wary. I managed to suck it up and go back to
work.

Well L didn't have much more luck but we got just BARELY enough blood.
She put Sergio back in the cage and when no one was looking I gave that
******* cat the finger.

Sergio's kidney functions seemed fine, but Dr. C and Poison Control
both agree that he should stay on fluids for 36-48 hours with periodic
checks of his kidneys to make sure.

Thank god tomorrow is my day off, so I don't have to work with him
again. And hopefully when I go into work on Friday I won't have to
work with him.

There's bittersweet feelings for him though. He's listed on our
treatment board as "Our Stupid Hospital Cat" and though he complains of
being stuck in a cage, some of us feel he deserves it. This cat has a
MAJOR attitude and it about time he got knocked down a notch or two.

Poor R feels so bad, not only that Sergio ate the plant, but at that
he's stuck in a cage. She'll come in and pet him and say "I totally
LOVE this cat, did i tell you? Oh Sergio, I'm SO sorry!!! Why did you
eat the plant you STUPID cat?? Oh Sergio, i love you....."

And I got a laugh when Rosie, another hospital cat that Sergio often
bullies, walked up and stared at Sergio from a distance, CLEARLY saying
"NYAHNYAHNYAH!!!!!" Oh man, Sergio REALLY started crying then.

At then end of the day, Dr. S (who wasn't in the office today) came by
and asked how he was.

"Well," I said, "He's doing just like any Spawn from Hhell that's been
shoved into a cage with an IV up his arm and wearing an E collar should
be doing."

"Ahhhhhhh, not happy, huh?"

Nope not in the least. Man if looks could kill. And I was the lucky
one who had to get a temperature on him. I have two red scratches on
my arm from doing that. Hmph....... We all joke with each other here
so after R had left I made a cage card for Sergio and put a big CAUTION
sticker on it. I just KNOW tomorrow she's gonna say, "I just LOVE this
cat.......WHAT? Ok, just WHO put that on his cage? "
Muhahahahaha....... She's lucky, cause i was seriously considering
putting a sign on his cage that read "BEWARE OF SAVAGE MONSTER"
Ooooooooo..............

Purrs though that Sergio will be fine, and hopefullywill come out a
little kinder and wiser.

Kristi

Old September 28th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tension

"Mischief" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sergio is the Hospital Resident Feline Spawn from Hell. Sergio and the
other hospital cats have recently been QUITE put out because they are
all fat and now are being fed only once a day instead of twice.

Hi Kristi:

This is probably a silly question, but what is the difference between a
Hospital Resident Feline,
and bitey-bitty that makes it impossible for him to wait there three months?

Everything you said in the other post about why TED cannot keep strays makes
perfect sense
to me, sad though it is, but I don't understand, then, why they can keep
Resident Felines?

--tension
p.s. i figured out how to reply on Outlook, duh.
i think i am not getting *any* new posts on Google anymore, perhaps
by configuring the Outlook newsreader, I cancelled something in the
Google groups software. Don't quite understand that, but there it is.
I hope it is not irreversible if I don't like this one.

Old September 28th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Mischief wrote:
[...]

And why, exactly, was she stupid enough to bring a toxic plant into her
office? Oh that's just nuts. Sorry, but I have no sympathy except for the
cat. The woman is an idiot. You don't trust a cat (or a dog) to not chomp
or chew on a toxic plant if it looks inviting. And I'm sure the cat wasn't
setting out to get "revenge" for anything. For all the human attributes we
give to cats and dogs, revenge isn't one of them. We may use that as an
excuse when they act out, to assuage our guilt for having done something or
not having done something. But animals aren't cut out that way and they
sure don't intend on chomping down on anything toxic and send themselves to
the hospital just to get back at someone. They aren't PEOPLE who swallow an
overdose of pills and then expect sympathy or attention. Damn. Get her
PLANTS out of the friggin clinic!

Jill --careful to keep toxic plants out of her apartment, no matter how
"pretty"

Old September 28th 06, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
-L.

Mischief wrote:
snip

I jumped up and away again. L regained control and said, "Kristi you
can't be scared of this. You're worrying too much and you need to
relax."

By this point i was really frustrated and said. "Well, sorry but if
i'm sticking a needle into a cat and the cat goes BERSERK i'm getting
the HELL OUT OF DODGE!!!"

She got someone else to hold, and i put down the syringe to let her get
it, and stalked away.

You bet i was scared. i'm sorry but when i have to work on something
that has the potential to do SEVERE and PAINFUL damage to me, you bet
i'm gonna be a little wary. I managed to suck it up and go back to
work.

Well L didn't have much more luck but we got just BARELY enough blood.
She put Sergio back in the cage and when no one was looking I gave that
******* cat the finger.

With an attitude like that, you have absolutely *no* business being a
vet tech. That disgusts me beyond anything I have ever heard come from
the mouth of *any* vet tech. It's shameful and completely
unprofessional.

If you are afraid of a cat, you have a long, long way to go. Cats do
*minimal* damage compared to dogs. A cat can bite and scratch - the
right dog can *kill* you.

Sergio's kidney functions seemed fine, but Dr. C and Poison Control
both agree that he should stay on fluids for 36-48 hours with periodic
checks of his kidneys to make sure.

Thank god tomorrow is my day off, so I don't have to work with him
again. And hopefully when I go into work on Friday I won't have to
work with him.

There's bittersweet feelings for him though. He's listed on our
treatment board as "Our Stupid Hospital Cat" and though he complains of
being stuck in a cage, some of us feel he deserves it. This cat has a
MAJOR attitude and it about time he got knocked down a notch or two.

Oh please. It's a *cat* that is acting like a *cat*. You aren't going
to teach him a damn thing by wishing punishment on him. Cats aren't
vindictive. They don't act out for no reason at all.

Good God you disgust me. This explains a lot about why others who work
in the field can't stand you.

-L.

Old September 28th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mischief wrote:
[...]

Good grief, Kristi. That's just crazy! If they knew the cat was so
fractious, why didn't they put it in one of those restraint bags? Do
they still use those? (I'm thinking back, and remembering maybe I heard
something at one time about them being dangerous or something)
But at any rate, isn't there some method of scruffing or something like
the feline "Vulcan Mind Meld" that renders them unable to fight so bad?

Sherry

Sherry

Old September 28th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

wrote:

Good grief, Kristi. That's just crazy! If they knew the cat was so
fractious, why didn't they put it in one of those restraint bags? Do
they still use those? (I'm thinking back, and remembering maybe I heard
something at one time about them being dangerous or something)
But at any rate, isn't there some method of scruffing or something like
the feline "Vulcan Mind Meld" that renders them unable to fight so bad?

Sherry

Our vets use a 'squeeze cage' which is like a wire cat carrying basket
with a sliding side that enables the cat to be held firmly whilst
procedures are done - it's often used for ferals that literally cannot
be handled.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old September 28th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cybercat

"-L." wrote:
Thank god tomorrow is my day off, so I don't have to work with him
again. And hopefully when I go into work on Friday I won't have to
work with him.

There's bittersweet feelings for him though. He's listed on our
treatment board as "Our Stupid Hospital Cat" and though he complains of
being stuck in a cage, some of us feel he deserves it. This cat has a
MAJOR attitude and it about time he got knocked down a notch or two.

Oh please. It's a *cat* that is acting like a *cat*. You aren't going
to teach him a damn thing by wishing punishment on him. Cats aren't
vindictive. They don't act out for no reason at all.

Good God you disgust me. This explains a lot about why others who work
in the field can't stand you.

Jesus. Kristi gives new meaning to the word "anecdolts."

And to think this is funny?? On a lighter note?

Old September 28th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"tension" wrote in message
.. .

"Mischief" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sergio is the Hospital Resident Feline Spawn from Hell. Sergio and the
other hospital cats have recently been QUITE put out because they are
all fat and now are being fed only once a day instead of twice.

Hi Kristi:

This is probably a silly question, but what is the difference between a
Hospital Resident Feline,
and bitey-bitty that makes it impossible for him to wait there three
months?

Everything you said in the other post about why TED cannot keep strays
makes perfect sense
to me, sad though it is, but I don't understand, then, why they can keep
Resident Felines?

I'm only guessing, but the resident Felines have to be healthy to get the
run of the place. And it sounds as though this vet already has quite a
few.

Bitey-bitty is taking up an isolation cage.

I get almost sick when I realize how many more cats there are out there than
homes. Made the mistake of looking at the cats at PetSmart yesterday.
Twenty three young adult cats, including one who appeared to be a purebred
Siamese girl.

It wouldn't take a lot for me to turn into a collector, I think a lot of us
are only a few small lapses in judgment from heading down that road.

Jo

Jo

Old September 28th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Mischief wrote:

*CUE HORRIFIED PLOT TWISTING MUSIC*

And why, exactly, was she stupid enough to bring a toxic plant into her
office? Oh that's just nuts. Sorry, but I have no sympathy except for
the
cat. The woman is an idiot. You don't trust a cat (or a dog) to not
chomp
or chew on a toxic plant if it looks inviting. And I'm sure the cat
wasn't
setting out to get "revenge" for anything. For all the human attributes
we
give to cats and dogs, revenge isn't one of them. We may use that as an
excuse when they act out, to assuage our guilt for having done something
or
not having done something. But animals aren't cut out that way

I agree with you. But still, Kayla gets miffed if I sit and read rather
than play with her 24/7. And she eats my books in a heartbeat if I don't
put them up. Revenge is too strong a word but its something like it. Books
are about all thats left that isn't safe from her jaws. Preferable the book
I'm currently reading.

My idea of a good day is finding she only ate the part I already read.

Jo

Old September 28th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Jo Firey wrote:
"tension" wrote in message
.. .

"Mischief" wrote in message
ups.com...

I get almost sick when I realize how many more cats there are out
there than homes. Made the mistake of looking at the cats at
PetSmart yesterday. Twenty three young adult cats, including one who
appeared to be a purebred Siamese girl.

It wouldn't take a lot for me to turn into a collector, I think a lot
of us are only a few small lapses in judgment from heading down that
road.

I agree with you, Jo. I took on 3 that were homeless, and as such I can't
take on another one. Still, if I could afford the litter, food, and the vet
bills, I would.

There are too many unwanted cats in this world. I do not understand why
people can't spay or neuter. There *are* organizations out there that help.
Shoots, I got Miss Pua spayed, tested for FELV and AIDS, AND she got her
shots, all for only $22. I just think too many people are irresponsible in
taking care of their pets. I have a "friend" just like that; her two year
old cat has had about 5 litters already. Puh-leeze!

kili