****ed Off At My ****ing Cat...

Old March 14th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default ****ed Off At My ****ing Cat...

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:50:45 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"AR" wrote in message
I've had it with this beast. He keeps peeing on my bath rug. Yes, he
knows it's wrong. I've caught him in the act, and he knows I wasn't
pleased. Yes, his litter box is clean, and he doesn't have a urinary
infection, as he only does it when I come there. I am otherwise
EXTREMELY nice to the little ****. He gets treats, his ears scratched,
gets hugged, his back rubbed, his little bed made up, etc. I tried
taking away his food for an afternoon, and replaced it with the mat
where his food bowl was so he could put two and two together. I chased
him around the apartment with the peed on mat, so you would think he
would get the idea. He did the same thing last time, and I thought he
had the idea he done wrong, but I guess not.

This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
the door by turning the doorknob. How can I get it through his furry,
whiskered little head that this is NOT acceptable behavior. Would
appreciate any ideas.

No, he does *not* know it's "wrong." You are trying to attribute human
characteristics to your cat. Moreover, your language indicates a distinct
lack of compassion for your cat. Please think about what you are doing and
think about the fact that cats do not communicate in the same ways as we do.

Next: *Many* cats will urinate on bath mats, particularly if this is the
type of bath mat with a rubberized backing. The rubberized backing on many
mats include a type of product that mimics fish oil to cats, so this is a
common problem. The solution is to get another mat (without rubberized
backing) or hang the mat where it is out of the reach of your cat. I am
assuming this is the type used when you get out of a bath. If not, and if
it is simply one used for general purpose, you may need to get rid of it.

MaryL

It does seem like getting rid of the mat, and spraying something like
Nature's Miracle to get rid of the odor, would go a long way toward
resolving the problem. No mat, can't pee on mat.

And as one of the other folks said, cats don't think like we do and
sometimes what we think of as teaching is interpreted by them as being
threatening. Try ditching the mat and let's see where it goes.
Old March 14th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alisont via CatKB.com

Cats are not like dogs. If you let your dog know that some behavior is
unacceptable it will hang its head and be ashamed. A cat will mrely realize
that it has a new tool in its arsenal to use when it is displeased with you.

This is a battle you will not win. Get rid of the bathroom rug.

--
http://www.serenityscenes.com/

Old March 14th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"AR" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 1:00 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"AR" wrote in message

This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
the door by turning the doorknob.

He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't
blame
him, I would too.

Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
house!---Geez!

I *ALWAYS* take the side of the cat (or child, or anyone else who can't
speak up for themselves or defend themselves against an aggressor).
Withholding food from him is cruel, and he can in no way associate that with
a past behavior. Chasing him around the apartment brandishing a bath mat is
cruel, and he can in no way associate that with a past behavior. Cats live
in the present and all he knows is that you are suddenly behaving cruelly
towards him for no reason (apparently *after* you got advice here about the
problem and completely ignored it).

There are a number of reasons why he may be urinating in an inappropriate
place. Is he neutered? If not he will spray his territory just like any
other healthy, intact tom would. How do you know he doesn't have a urinary
tract infection, has he been seen by a vet and had his urine tested? Has
the vet ruled out interstitial cystitis or a partial struvite crystal
blockage? Has anything in the house or his routine been changed? If so it
could be stress induced behavior. Is the bath mat rubber-backed? If so
there may be a chemical in the backing which smells like another tom's
marking and he wants to claim his house back. You said you allow him
outside - are there other cats around that might make him feel threatened
and cause him to want to mark his territory?

And finally, if you have ruled out all of the above, why not just pick up
the f*cking mat and add another litter box close by? If it's too hard for
you to understand your cat's needs and meet them, then do the cat a favor
and find him a good home.

CatNipped

Old March 14th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"AR" wrote in message

[...]

Excellent post -- provides good information. Thank you!

MaryL

Old March 14th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message

"CatNipped"

Hey cat we already told him all of this in his previous post about it.
Specially about the mat. He has not listened. Than posted that BS above.

That is why he has a target painted on his forehead

Sorry, missed those - I've been hit and miss lately with the 'groups (mostly
miss).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 14th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

. ..

"AR" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. Although I'm sure it will be ignored just like all the other good
advice he was given here. It always amazes me that some people don't "get"
that cats are not small furry people - that's over-rating people and
insulting to cats! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 14th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote
Sorry, missed those - I've been hit and miss lately with the 'groups
(mostly miss).

Never apologize for having a life! *winkie*

Oh man and has that life been kicking my butt lately - can you imagine these
cretins actually expecting me to work for the pittance they pay me!!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 14th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote

Old March 15th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

AR wrote in news:0e002d85-8c2b-4659-b22b-7d2333d9aff8
@n77g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

[...]

That is just what the cat is trying to tell _you_.

New arrangements - cats really pissed! Nik Simpson Cat anecdotes 0 May 24th 07 07:17 PM
Cat crapping and pissing in our bed. [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 41 February 7th 07 05:12 AM
I'm so pissed! MaryL Cat health & behaviour 152 June 20th 04 02:05 AM
I'm pissed John Biltz Cat anecdotes 16 February 3rd 04 12:56 AM
one pissed off cat Elizabeth Blake Cat health & behaviour 15 September 16th 03 12:07 PM