A masterful BCT

Old October 7th 19, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mahoney, DC

Default A masterful BCT

Saturday Nancy and I went out running some errands. When we got home I
thought it strange that Benni wasn't hanging out at any of her usual
places. When I get started feeding everyone their dinners, no Benni.
After both of us searched the house thoroughly, we figured she must have
slipped past one of us and gotten outside.

We registered her as missing with the local missing pet resources.
Yesterday we visited both of the big local shelters and reported her
missing. I walked the neighborhood after dark with a flashlight both
Saturdaya and Sunday nights. Nancy and I scoured every room in the house
several time, looking in closets, cupboards, etc. No sign of Benni.

This morning I went in to my home office and looked in the closet for
some clothes. WHen I closed the closet door Benni was rubbing against my
ankles. 36 hours she was missing!

Saturday night I slept on the couch, figuring that if she was lost
outside and found her way home she might meow by the front door. While I
was trying to get to sleep I heard the pitter-patter of little feet
followed by "hiss! hiss!". I immediately got up and searched everywhere
on that end of the house, as that is how Benni usually interacts with
Francesca. No sign of the little stinker.

I believe I need to put a radio tracker on her collar.

--
D Mahoney

Old October 7th 19, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2019-10-07 10:10 a.m., Mahoney, DC wrote:
[...]

The most mysterious cat disappearance I had (not the longest, just the
weirdest) involved the late Betsy. I was at the time between houses and
jobs, and had rented a small house in the location of one job - a tiny
one-storey building which was, for obvious reasons, nearly empty except
for a mattress on the floor. I think Betsy was finding the trips between
the main house and this location a bit trying, or maybe she was just
being a BC, but she vanished just before I was packing her and her
adopted sister up for a trip back to the larger town. I searched and
searched, being completely unable to find her - in, don't forget, a
nearly empty and very small house. Finally, as I turned, I saw her -
inside a closet - the door was open, the closet empty (except for Betsy)
and I SWEAR I searched it several times!

She also managed to squeeze out of her cat carrier - sure, one of the
latches didn't work, but she was a BIG cat - in the car, and nearly
started exploring the parking lot and adjacent areas of the highway gas
station/convenience store I'd stopped to visit.

Of the two cats I had then, Mandy was usually the one with the Empress
of the Universe attitude and the determination to explore said universe,
but during that period, the more laid-back Betsy decided to act up.

--
Cheryl
Old October 7th 19, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mahoney, DC

Of the two cats I had then, Mandy was usually the one with the Empress
of the Universe attitude and the determination to explore said universe,
but during that period, the more laid-back Betsy decided to act up.

My most memorable BCT happened around 2008, when Nancy and I were moving
from Iowa to Illinois. I moved about a month before Nancy did, to let
her supervise the movers and get the house rented while I started my new
job. About halfway through that month I drove back Iowa and picked up
the cats, loading them into the back seat of my pickup. The trip wa
uneventful, but when I got to Illinois I couldn't find Amelia.

I searched everywhere in that truck but found no sign of her. I started
to worry that she had snuck out of the truck when I stopped for gas back
in Iowa. I was getting well and truly panicked when I remembered that
all the cats had RF locator tags on their collars. I went into the house
and dug out the receiver, and sure enough it showed Amelia's collar as
being close. I used the direction finding feature on the receiver and
tracked Amelia to the back seat of the pickup. When I rested my head on
the floor of the truck and shined a flashlight under the rear seat,
there was Amelia.

Apparently she got frightened by the ride and hid as far under the seat
as she could get.

--
D Mahoney

Old October 7th 19, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2019-10-07 10:33 a.m., Mahoney, DC wrote:
[...]

I was once driving home with a friend who'd picked up a kitten, but
had no carrier. The little sweetheart went right to the middle of the
floor under the front seat, and dug her claws into the carpet. We could
find her, but it took a long time to coax her out!

There ARE cats who like travelling, but none of mine did. Friends had a
big white male cat, rescued from a snowbank as a kitten. They frequently
drove between where they worked and where their relatives lived, a
matter of 343 km (213 miles) one way. The cat just took it all in
stride. He didn't even need to be restrained in a carrier or try to take
off if they stopped for something. He was an indoor/outdoor cat, and
when in their original hometown, he was also an indoor/outdoor cat who
shared the house they usually stayed in with another cat. I've never
encountered such a cat!

--
Cheryl
Old October 7th 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mahoney, DC

There ARE cats who like travelling, but none of mine did. Friends had a
big white male cat, rescued from a snowbank as a kitten. They frequently
drove between where they worked and where their relatives lived, a
matter of 343 km (213 miles) one way. The cat just took it all in
stride. He didn't even need to be restrained in a carrier or try to take
off if they stopped for something. He was an indoor/outdoor cat, and
when in their original hometown, he was also an indoor/outdoor cat who
shared the house they usually stayed in with another cat. I've never
encountered such a cat!

Harri Roadcat loved riding in cars, but when we were all driving from
California to Iowa she apparently found riding with 5 other cats to be a
bit much. On the second day of the trip Nancy was driving the SUV and I
was driving the UHaul truck. We were in the middle of nowhere, WY when
Nancy pulled to the side of the freeway. I went to see what was wrong,
and she reported that she was down one cat. Everyone was visible except
Harri.

We searched the SUV carefully, and finally found Harri deep under
Nancy's seat. I tried calling to her and bribing her with Temptations
but she refused to be moved. I finally ended up partially disassembling
Nancy's seat so that I could reach underneath and pull Harri out. I then
took Harri into the UHaul with me, and she was fine for the rest of the
trip.

--
D Mahoney

Old October 8th 19, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/7/2019 8:40 AM, Mahoney, DC wrote:
[...]

I don't think radio trackers could follow her to and from the
Mothership. LOL I'm glad she's okay.

Jill