I am happy for Sheba

Old August 16th 03, 07:36 AM
Yowie

"CATherine" wrote in message
I woke up this morning to a strange sound. But it was a bit familiar
at the same time. I thought, "Wot the heck?" I rose up out of bed and
peered over the foot.....and saw Sheba vigorously scratching her
cardboard scratcher for the first time in six months!

Yay for Sheba! Many purrs for her to keep up the scratching work :-)

Yowie

Old August 16th 03, 02:37 PM
polonca12000

Wonderful!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"CATherine" wrote in message
I woke up this morning to a strange sound. snip

Old August 16th 03, 03:07 PM
polonca12000

LOL!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"CATherine" wrote in message
I had a dog once that had a leg injury. He got lots of attention and
babying with it. After it healed he didn't get so much attention; but
he remembered. After that if he did something wrong and I yelled at
him, he would limp! snip

Old August 17th 03, 05:32 AM
Marina

"CATherine" wrote

I woke up this morning to a strange sound. But it was a bit familiar
at the same time. I thought, "Wot the heck?" I rose up out of bed and
peered over the foot.....and saw Sheba vigorously scratching her
cardboard scratcher for the first time in six months!

This is wonderful, Catherine. I'm so happy for Sheba. When I started having
symptoms of neuropathy, the docs all said there's nothing you can do, it
won't get any better. I'm sure the purrs helped Sheba. Here are some more
for her to keep up the good scratchin'.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old August 17th 03, 07:28 AM
LOL

CATherine wrote in message . ..
I woke up this morning to a strange sound. But it was a bit familiar
at the same time. I thought, "Wot the heck?" I rose up out of bed and
peered over the foot.....and saw Sheba vigorously scratching her
cardboard scratcher for the first time in six months!

Her neuropathy is healed! She no longer walks like Robocop! Hurray!! I
had been told neuropathy is nerve damage and didn't heal. But maybe
she didn't have it long enough to be permanent. Her diabetes is under
control and her weight is now hovering around eleven pounds and she
looks good.

The only problem is she still pulls clumps of hair off her sides. That
is from stress, maybe. And maybe partly to get rid of some of the
excessive unshed hair she couldn't groom for so long. I will brush her
ever so often and get clumps off. But maybe the pulling sensation
relieves itchy skin. Maybe she needs a bath. Yeah, right! :-))

CATherine

WooHoo! I'm so glad to hear that Sheba's feeling better - please give
her some scritches for us. I hope you can find out what is making her
pull out her fur - Mike occasionally does this too. TED has said it
is due to allergies and when it gets bad gives him a hydrocortisone
(?) shot, maybe once or twice a year. The shot does seem to stop it,
for months at a time.

------
Krista
Old August 17th 03, 07:37 AM
Julie Cook

CATherine wrote:

I am beginning to wonder about allergies. What all is Selena allergic
to? I think with my son home tomorrow I will have him hold Sheba in a
good light while I look at her skin now that I have combed out tons of
hair. If it is red or speckled, I am going to worry about allergies.

CATherine

I'm not sure of everything Selena is allergic to because we've never had her
skin tested. Our previous vet used a method, the name I've forgotten, I won't
go into the details because I decided it might be hocus-pocus, but he said
she was allergic to christmas trees, fleas, grass and a number of other
things. He was treating her in a holistic manner with prednisone type shots
when she got really bad. The feline only vet that we currently visit just
accepts that she has allergies and we get a shot when she needs it. btw,
she's gone from 7 1/2 lbs to 10.4 lbs since we've gotten her allergies under
control and looks like a much healthier cat than she ever has.

Our current vet did tell me ways to recognize her allergies. She told me that
the fold of skin on her ears should be very thin, like a butterfly's wing and
that when they suffer allergies the skin begins to thicken. Selena gets a
rash under her chin and her tummy gets very pink and of course she pulls the
fur from her tummy so we can see it well. Selena also develops a crusty type
sore on her body. I don't know if that is an allergic reaction or if it is
the result of scratching, but as soon as I see the sore begin to develop she
goes in for a shot. Originally she would go in almost every month and have to
have two shots, two weeks apart. Now she is able to go almost 4 months
between shots. There is not question in my mind that she is a healthier,
happier cat now.

Something else our vet told me that had never occurred to me before is that
when Selena's gingivitis is acting up that it can cause the sores of her
allergies to become worse because she transfers the bacteria from her mouth
to the sores when she grooms. Originally Selena would get multiple sores on
her body when her allergies were bad, now she only gets one.

If Sheba does have allergies and the prednisone shots are an option it should
make her feel much better.

Julie

Old August 17th 03, 02:49 PM
polonca12000

So glad Selena is doing so much better now.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip Originally she would go in almost every month and have to