Question about ventilation systems for animal shelters

Old May 6th 04, 06:00 PM
Lashton

Default Question about ventilation systems for animal shelters

Our group is considering renting space (or buying a property) to move
our animal shelter, since the old one is too small and has inadequate
ventilation.

Chances are we'll need to install some type of air exchange
ventilation system in the new place to keep the cat box stinkies down.
Does anyone know of some manufacturers and/or sources for these
systems?

TIA!
Old May 7th 04, 04:27 AM
Sunflower

"Lashton" wrote in message
om...
Our group is considering renting space (or buying a property) to move
our animal shelter, since the old one is too small and has inadequate
ventilation.

Chances are we'll need to install some type of air exchange
ventilation system in the new place to keep the cat box stinkies down.
Does anyone know of some manufacturers and/or sources for these
systems?

TIA!

I suggest you take a look at the Shelter Vet site at UC Davis for a
recommendation as to how many exchanges per hour is optimal for the size
building you are considering. E-mail Kate Hurley if you need to. She'll
respond, even if it takes a while. You'll also want to consider airflow
direction and filtration as well as exchange. A separate quarrantine area
with a separately supplied and filtered air, or preferabley several
quarrantine areas with separate supplied air for each. Once you have the
specs you need, any competent HVAC company that has dealt with hospital or
medical facilities can design the system. Expect it to be EXPENSIVE. In
our tiny little shelter, we've spent over 12K for heating and cooling, and
it's not even really done properly because we don't own the building and
can't force the City to comply with our recommendations.