I need some advice about my troubled cats

Old May 8th 04, 03:01 AM
Bill Hoff

Default I need some advice about my troubled cats

Hi all,
I need some advice about what to do with my crazy cats. I've got a 7
year old female(fixed) that has been hiding under my bed for a week
and a half. The problem is, the male cat(also fixed) a 3 year old is
attacking her. She got outside, and ever since he has nothing to do
with her, as soon as they see each other, they hiss and fight. None of
these "fights" seems to hurt either of them, but it's quite a waker
upper at 3 in the morning. This happend a year or so ago, but after 3
days things went back to normal. She's much smaller, and is so
intimidated that she's gone under the bed for good. He even attacks
her under there every once in a while. She quit going to the basement
for food and water, so I've been feeding her in the bedroom a little,
but she's getting thin. Last night I moved her to the basement library
room that I can close off. She's got her own food, water, and cat pan.
I'm going to keep them seperated over the week-end and see what
happens. If they start going at each after she comes out of
"segrigation" what else can I do? I really dig both of the cats, so
getting rid of one is not an option.
Old May 8th 04, 04:18 AM
minerva nine

He probably is reacting to her smelling like an outdoor cat. After a few
days she should get her "indoor" smell back and he should calm down. If
not, try rubbing them both with catnip extract. -- M9

om...

Old May 8th 04, 05:24 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Bill Hoff at
wrote on 5/7/04 9:01 PM:

[...]

I'd do that. Maybe even more than a weekend. Also, if you have a Petsmart,
or your vet may carry them though pricey it is really worked for us to have
a Feliway dispenser (a synthetic "good hormone" dispenser) in the main rooms
they are in. also, when you start reintroducing them, do it in little doses
and when this happened to us (different reason but same kind of thing) I
kept them separated when I went out for a while. HTH.

Karen

Old May 9th 04, 05:57 AM
Kalyahna

"Bill Hoff" wrote in message
[...]

If they each have a favorite treat, offer some of that at the same time on
both sides of the door that separates them. If you have a screen door, try
that so they can see as well as smell. The hope is to make them associate
the great treat with the presence of the other cat. You can also try
exchanging bedding after a couple of days; the blanket she curls up on for
the rug he likes to sprawl on. This way, they get each others' scents (and
again, you can try their favorite treat on top of the bedding for positive
scent association).