Cats 'killed by flea treatment'

Old November 10th 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Default Cats 'killed by flea treatment'

Hundreds of cats may have died because their owners mistakenly treated them
with anti-flea products intended for dogs, a study suggests.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7088397.stm
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old November 10th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
Hundreds of cats may have died because their owners mistakenly
treated them with anti-flea products intended for dogs, a study
suggests.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7088397.stm

Indeed. The BBC ran this as a story on their Breakfast news
programme today, with a live report from a veterinary clinic in
Solihull, West Midlands. The star of the news piece was a
beautiful Siamese male cat, Maximus - with huge ears, and a loud
purr! My brother thought the cat was more like an Egyptian Mau
than a Siamese.

--
MatSav

Old November 10th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 10, 5:38 am, "Adrian A" wrote:
Hundreds of cats may have died because their owners mistakenly treated them
with anti-flea products intended for dogs, a study suggests.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7088397.stm
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your hearthttp://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk

I don't understand how owners can "accidentally" use dog products on
cats. Products usually
even have a picture of a DOG on them, for crying out loud, and even
"Not for use on cats" if
they can be bothered to read the label.
That's just carelessness, IMO.

Sherry

Old November 10th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Sherry wrote:
On Nov 10, 5:38 am, "Adrian A" wrote:
Hundreds of cats may have died because their owners mistakenly
treated them
with anti-flea products intended for dogs, a study
suggests.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7088397.stm --
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your
hearthttp://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk

I don't understand how owners can "accidentally" use dog products on
cats. Products usually
even have a picture of a DOG on them, for crying out loud, and even
"Not for use on cats" if
they can be bothered to read the label.
That's just carelessness, IMO.

Sherry

True, but the article did say if the cat came in contact with a dog that had
been treated and then groomed itself, thus ingesting the flea powder...
hmmm, sounds a little far fetched when you think about it. Chances are the
canine version of the flea powder is cheaper. It's amazing how people will
save a few pennies at the expense (pardon the pun) of their pets.

Jill

Old November 10th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 06:19:46 -0800, Sherry wrote:

On Nov 10, 5:38 am, "Adrian A" wrote:
Hundreds of cats may have died because their owners mistakenly treated
them with anti-flea products intended for dogs, a study
suggests.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7088397.stm --
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your
hearthttp://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk

I don't understand how owners can "accidentally" use dog products on cats.
Products usually
even have a picture of a DOG on them, for crying out loud, and even "Not
for use on cats" if
they can be bothered to read the label. That's just carelessness, IMO.

It should be kept in mind that some products labeled for dogs are, in
fact, safe for cats in cat size doses because the formulae are essentially
identical for the two versions - the only significant difference being the
size of the single dose dispenser. Frontline Plus is the most commonly
used example - many people with multiple cats buy the largest dog size and
meter the doses for their cats with a calibrated syringe or dropper (I do
worry about a friend of mine who meters by counting drops - *that* is
risky). Since the price of the packages is not proportional to the
amount of product, but increases less than a third for an eight-fold
increase in product, the cost savings for that very pricy product are more
than just significant - they can make the difference between treating the
cats or not treating the cats ... or treating them with something that
*is* dangerous.

--
T.E.D. )

Old November 10th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut

[...]

Everytime someone says a person can use dog stuff on a cat if they use
less I cringe!!!! That to me is like telling someone it is safe to
use a stick of dyamite for a firecracker if you use less of it!!!

If you care for you cat use the stuff that is labeled for your cat and
be safe!!! If you are that poor that you have to use dog stuff to
save a few pennies then maybe you should not have a pet!!!!

Old November 10th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"kraut" wrote in message

[...]

This time you are wrong. Advantage for dogs is exactly the same stuff as
advantage for cats. Same strength and everything. Just in different size
"servings". One tube for a large dog will adequately treat my 30 lb dog,
both my cats, and all of my daughters cats.

This is with our vets knowledge and blessing. They supply the syringes for
me to measure it out.

It would cost us far more to buy single serving tubes for each of these
guys, my daughter likely wouldn't do it at all. Camille, because she is
still under a year and at just two pounds gets a special stuff that is
formulated for kittens and puppies. Also she is very easy to just check for
fleas and crush any you find.

Jo

Old November 10th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut

[...]

But how many people properly measure it and all?!?!?!

We had a case at our local Humane Society, where I volunteer, that
they used dog stuff on cats and guessed at the amount and 3 cats died
from it. Most people just guess at it and do not measure!!

I would rather a person use the stuff labeled for cats!! If you have
a large tube for dogs and do not need it for the current treatment
keep it for the next treatment of the dog and buy stuff labeled for
cats!!!

Old November 10th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"kraut" wrote in message

[...]

Let me point out you are suggesting I spend five times the money or more
because I cannot trust myself to be able to read?

Again, the stuff labeled for dog is exactly the same stuff that is labeled
for cats. (I'm personally talking about Advantage) Same medication at the
same strength. You just use more for a large animal and less for a small
one.

My vet even prints labels to stick on the package indicating the correct
dose for cats and for dogs based on weight.

Sorry but I am not illiterate. You may stop cringing on my behalf.

Jo

Old November 10th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 10 Nov, 10:48, "jofirey" wrote:

But how many people properly measure it and all?!?!?!

I should imagine anyone who has done research on Advantage has talked
to their vet and been careful about measuring the dosage - a friend of
mine uses Advantage on his cats and under advice by his vets uses a
syringe provided by the vet to dose his cats but his vet is happy to
sell him it in the dog sizes, which work out cheaper

I think the problem is people who just think "Cat has fleas. Go to
supermarket. Buy flea treatment. Oh that's expensive! Dog flea
treatmernt cheaper. Must be the same fleas= same treatment will work"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs