nighttime crazies

Old September 5th 04, 12:21 PM
Eric B.

Default nighttime crazies

I have two cats: one male, one female, both under 3 years old, both
fixed, both have claws. At around 4 am, they go bonkers chasing each
other up and down our long, wood-floored hallway. This not only wakes
us up, but I'm sure it can be heard below by our neighbors (they've
never said anything specifically about this, but it's very loud).

To remedy this, I have tried two things. First, I've given them a few
squirts with the water bottle. This loses its effectiveness as soon as
I return to bed. Second, I have put them in the laundry/bathroom. It's
big enough for them to roam around, sit in the window, play, eat, drink,
poop, etc., so I don't feel especially bad about it.

However, since they sometimes start to cry or scratch on the door, I
don't want to do it unless necessary. I thought that after several
weeks of doing this, they might learn that "Noise at Night = Locked in
laundry room," and therefore avoid making noise at night. I'm sure they
understand "Noise at Night = Owners awake and give attention." Is it
unreasonable to expect that they might alter their behavior? Should I
just break down and toss them in there before even going to bed? I feel
a little bad about that since we're often away until 7 or 8 o'clock at
night, but perhaps as long as we give them their usual evening playtime,
they won't care.

Thanks for your advice,

eric
Old September 5th 04, 03:02 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Eric B. at
lid wrote on 9/5/04 6:21AM:

[...]

One thing about cats. They love routine above all. I kind of doubt their
routine will change. I guess if it is TOO bad you could put them in their
room befor you go to bed. I wouldn't worry about the neighbors. If they
haven't said anything, it must not be as bad as it seems to you. Can you
close your door? Or do they then scratch at that. It just their playtime. My
mom's two are like this. They tear around in the middle of the night. Mine
used to do it, but they grew out of it and now sleep pretty much all night.
Or, Grant will stare out the window a lot. I would guess yours will grow out
of it someday, but probably not for a while.

Old September 5th 04, 03:44 PM
HD

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 07:21:59 -0400, "Eric B."
wrote:

[...]

Ah yes, the midnight crazies.
I have three boys that do this.
They play King of the Furniture with each other.
When I get ready to go to bed I try and get them engaged with a laser
pointer or some other toys to tire them out so that when I go to bed
they are not as active.

Old September 5th 04, 06:22 PM
Mary

"Eric B." wrote in message

[...]

All cats do this. Mine do it before I go to bed, but I go
to bed really late.

You have to have your sleep in order to function, so yes,
I would go ahead and put them in the laundry room before
you go to sleep. BUT--you might try initiating play
say, four hours before you go to bed--with a lazer
pointer, feather on a string, or crumpled up paper
tossing--to see if you can tire them out.

Old September 5th 04, 06:39 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Eric B." wrote in message

I have two cats: one male, one female, both under 3 years old, both
fixed, both have claws. At around 4 am, they go bonkers chasing each
other up and down our long, wood-floored hallway. This not only wakes
us up, but I'm sure it can be heard below by our neighbors (they've
never said anything specifically about this, but it's very loud).

My cats do this sometimes too. Not every night, but fairly often. I go to
bed late and I'm usually awake when it starts so I don't care. Can you put
a carepeted runner in the hallway, to cut down the noise they make on the
wood floor? I have wood floors in my apartment and I know the claws can
sound really loud when they're skittering across the wood. Since my
downstairs neighbor likes to blast his TV late at night, it's another reason
I don't care how much noise my cats make.

[...]

The few times my cats have started the crazies once I was already in bed,
I'd get up and put one of them in my bedroom and shut the door. It really
doesn't work, because the one inside keeps trying to get out and the one
outside cries to get in. If I put them both in the bedroom with me, they
may continue their activities on my bed, and it's really hard to get back to
sleep with two cats jumping all over you. I've given up trying to stop
them, since the really-late-night activities happen so rarely.

--
Liz