Finding home for cats

Old November 5th 03, 02:49 AM
perky1

I would like to know why some
people think of humans before
4 legged creatures? We're All
animals. I think that if someone
loved and nurtured some animal,
whether it be 2-legged or 4-legged, for 7 yrs, well, I just
don't understand how one can
be given up.
That's just my opinion, for
all it's worth.---Perky1
"Michele" wrote in message
om...
I don't understand how people can have 2 cats for 7 years, invest in
their medicals, etc., and presumably really love these pets and then
just decide that it's time to have kids now and let's get rid of the
cats and move on to something else "more important" (people usually
consider humans outweigh animals in the scheme of things). I realize
that people's priorities should be addressed before animals' (if I had
a kid who was sick and a cat who was sick at the same time, I would
take the kid to the pediatrician before I would take the cat to the
vererinarian), but if you know that SOMEDAY you might start a family
with which the animals could be incompatible, THINK for a minute. Get
an older animal, or hold off until you have a place without so many
"space limitations". ALWAYS I hear these situations after the fact.

I know that some of what I have said may rub some people the wrong
way. But I have 22+ cats (all spayed/neutered/rescued/strays), and I
always say to people that I won't have kids (I am spayed/neutered
myself anyway) because if the kid turned out to be allergic, I would
have to give the KID up for adoption.

Michele

Dee Falt wrote in message

. ..
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:44:43 GMT, "amp11pleasedontspam"
wrote:

Again, if possible, it is best to help the cat to adapt to the

conditions -
there are probably some good behavioral suggestion that one could

elicit from
this group (and possibly from a cat behaviorist - veterinarians may be

able
to refer your son and his wife to a local cat behaviorist).

Thank you, Alan, for your response. I'm afraid their space limitations
virtually preclude keeping the cats. I'm well aware of the situation
and is is with great reluctance (and I concur) that a new environment
would be best.

I have one indoor cat plus a colony of ferals. The indoor cat was a
feral for almost two years, but she is very much a fully domesticated
cat although she hob nobs with the others.

Dee

Old November 7th 03, 12:32 AM
Prying Eyes

I would never give up my cat's even if I have children, I mean my cats have
giving me such a comfort in my life and I am sure that when I have children
I would need them the most. Then again that just me and I have come attached
to them to the point they are part of my family, which includes my rabbit
and dog. Even though some members of my family thing the dog has become a
hassle to take care, I am trying my best to convenience them about the
positive things our dog can bring instead of the negative things.

"Michele" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old November 8th 03, 06:23 AM
onebyone

Michele, I have to laugh out loud at your last sentence! For years when
people would ask my husband and I when were we "going to start having kids"?
I would tell them they we weren't, because "we were afraid that one of our
children would have allergies to our cats, and we would have to put the
child into Foster care". The looks on their faces were priceless! LOL

Michele, you are my kind of person!!!

"Michele" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old November 8th 03, 07:14 AM
Agua Girl

Whenever someone starts out by saying " I can't imagine"....I usually
respond with "lucky you". I know it's unfathomable for some of
us to think about giving up our animals after 7 years but life has a way
of throwing curve balls and you never know when you may be in the
position to do something "unfathomable". My step mother got very very
sick. She has always been a huge cat lover...like crazy cat lady type.
At the time of her illness she was down to just 12 cats. Obviously with
her so ill and my dad taking care of her, it was impossible to continue
to care for 12 cats (and two dogs) so they had the unenviable task of
finding homes for 10 cats, some of whom they had for 5 or 6 years.
They kept the two oldest and did find the others homes. The fact that
anyone is LOOKING for a good home for their cat should be enough.
With so many just dumping them off on the side of the road I don't think
we should judge those who at least try and re-home them. I can't imagine
what turn my life would take that might put me in that position. It won't
be kids ...errr...maybe I shouldn't say that (knock wood) but one never
knows so until then..... :-)

AG

"Michele" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old November 10th 03, 04:08 PM
Michele

That is a very good point.

The main reason I have so many cats is because my mother died
relatively suddenly from colon cancer. At the time I moved in to help
take care of her, the cats, and the house, I brought 10 or 12 cats
from my apartment, and my mother had about 25 cats. During the year
between her diagnosis and her death, and across the two years
following that, I have taken in other cats, but the overall number has
gone down to the low 20's for a variety of reasons. I just took
another one to the vet to be neutered today, and I have someone who
MIGHT adopt him, but I am prepared that they might not after all.
Thank god for my vet and the non-profit org Feline Friends.

My comment was not directed toward people who have "unexpected curve
balls" in life, but at people who think of pets as a temporary
disposable aspect of life, like a car or furniture that when you move
you get rid of and get a new one. I realize that a lot of people put
even less thought into having children, so how can you possibly expect
them (not accusing everyone who is a parent of being this way) to be
RESPONSIBLE and DEDICATED toward their cats and/or dogs?