Buffy Pic

Old June 11th 15, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy Pic

On 6/11/2015 9:03 AM, MaryL wrote:
On 6/11/2015 7:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:

I ordered a nail clipper. I've been getting her used to my touching her
paws so I don't think it will be a big deal for me to clip them. Buffy
is a rather laid back cat.

Jill

It's possible that her previous catslave clipped her nails. If so, that
will make it easier for you. When you do trip her nails, be sure to
look for the dark area and *do not* cut into it. That's the quick that
involves nerves and blood vessels. Of course, it's really not a
disaster if the quick is cut, but that could involve considerable
bleeding. Just cut in front of the quick, and you won't have that type
of problem.
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtu...our-cats-claws

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-nail-clipping-care

MaryL

Thanks, Mary! I know about not cutting down to the quick. I grew up
with birds and birds have claws, too.

Jill
Old June 11th 15, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 6/11/2015 8:12 AM, jmcquown wrote:

Thanks, Mary! I know about not cutting down to the quick. I grew up
with birds and birds have claws, too.

Jill

Aha! I should have remembered that. You had a bird when I read your
first messages on rpca.

MaryL

Old June 11th 15, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/11/2015 9:54 AM, MaryL wrote:
On 6/11/2015 8:12 AM, jmcquown wrote:

Thanks, Mary! I know about not cutting down to the quick. I grew up
with birds and birds have claws, too.

Jill

Aha! I should have remembered that. You had a bird when I read your
first messages on rpca.

MaryL

I grew up with parakeets/budgies. Birds were the only pet my father
would allow in the house. For some reason he did not like cats. Which
is odd, because when my middle brother was about 11 years old they got
him a kitten. (Princess was a small orange tabby, looked a lot like
Buffy.) Then we were transferred to Thailand and couldn't take Princess
with us so we gave her to my aunt. Princess was allowed to run loose
outside and was hit by a car. (sigh)

Jill
Old June 11th 15, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 6/11/2015 10:13 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 6/11/2015 9:54 AM, MaryL wrote:
On 6/11/2015 8:12 AM, jmcquown wrote:

Thanks, Mary! I know about not cutting down to the quick. I grew up
with birds and birds have claws, too.

Jill

Aha! I should have remembered that. You had a bird when I read your
first messages on rpca.

MaryL

I grew up with parakeets/budgies. Birds were the only pet my father
would allow in the house. For some reason he did not like cats. Which
is odd, because when my middle brother was about 11 years old they got
him a kitten. (Princess was a small orange tabby, looked a lot like
Buffy.) Then we were transferred to Thailand and couldn't take Princess
with us so we gave her to my aunt. Princess was allowed to run loose
outside and was hit by a car. (sigh)

Jill

Our household had some similarities. I grew up in a rural part of
northeast Ohio, and we had a lot of animals--ponies and a horse, cats,
wonderful collies (the "Lassie"-type), plus chickens, turkeys, etc. We
had parakeets, and Mother did not permit any other animal in the house.
The dogs were killed on the road, and when my cat was also killed on
the road I swore that I would never have another cat or dog until I
could keep it in the house. I stuck to that decision. I got my first
cat (as an adult) when I left for graduate school in Lincoln, Nebraska
and wanted a companion. My mother seemed to understand how I felt, and
after that time she always accepted my cats in her home when I returned
home at Christmas and for summer vacation. Years later, she moved into
my home (east Texas) after my father died, and I became her sole
caretaker. She actually enjoyed spending time with my cats (first
Amber, then Holly - both RB). One of my favorite pictures is a picture
of Mother asleep on the sofa with Amber stretched out beside her.

MaryL

Old June 12th 15, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Here's Buffy!

http://i58.tinypic.com/10miykn.jpg

Jill

She's lovely.

Yes, she is. If she'd only stop trying to hold onto me with those claws
extended. She's sort of treating me like a piece of furniture,
something
to be grabbed onto. It's not as if I'm trying to carry her around.
When
she's in my lap and I need to get up sometimes ouch!

I'll need to get a lesson in claw clipping.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten Persia had been front declawed. Boyfie has only
once grabbed me hard - he was so fast asleep on my lap, he rolled over,
and
started to fall. Ouch, but very forgivable in the circumstances.
Although, he is often so ecstatic when he's on my lap that he cannot help
flexing his claws in and out slightly whilst he's purring. That's only
like
pinpricks though. I've learned to put a blanket over my knee every time
sit down. You might have to do the same ;-)

I would *melt* if I had to put a blanket over my knees every time I sat
down. The climate is quite different here from where you live. It is not
even mid-June and already the outside temps are 90°F/32°C. I couldn't
live without air conditioning. This time of year I keep the indoor temp
set around 73°F/23°C and even that is *just* comfortable for me. I have
to run a fan to be able to sleep at night.

Leave it up to you. A blanket is essential if you want a cat on your lap
with claws. You have to adapt to it despite the temperature. Or let your
thighs be pricked. You''ll get used to having a cat with front claws. You
need a blanket on your lap. Buffy has claws on all four feet. You never
had one before.

I sickens me every day that declawing is allowed anywhere.
It's disgusting.

Old June 12th 15, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

All of my cats have all of their claws, but I do not need to use a
blanket on my lap. I occasionally feel the sharp prick of their claws,
but they never dig in. All I need to do is adjust my position slightly,
and they will withdraw their claws. However, I think Jill could use a
very lightweight blanket if she needs one. The temp here has been in
the 90s (F), but I keep the air conditioner set at 73 degrees.

MaryL

Old June 12th 15, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 8:30:53 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
"jmcquown" t wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Here's Buffy!

http://i58.tinypic.com/10miykn.jpg

Jill

She's lovely.

Yes, she is. If she'd only stop trying to hold onto me with those claws
extended. She's sort of treating me like a piece of furniture, something
to be grabbed onto. It's not as if I'm trying to carry her around. When
she's in my lap and I need to get up sometimes ouch!

I'll need to get a lesson in claw clipping.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten Persia had been front declawed. Boyfie has only
once grabbed me hard - he was so fast asleep on my lap, he rolled over, and
started to fall. Ouch, but very forgivable in the circumstances.
Although, he is often so ecstatic when he's on my lap that he cannot help
flexing his claws in and out slightly whilst he's purring. That's only like
pinpricks though. I've learned to put a blanket over my knee every time I
sit down. You might have to do the same ;-)

I would *melt* if I had to put a blanket over my knees every time I sat
down. The climate is quite different here from where you live. It is
not even mid-June and already the outside temps are 90°F/32°C. I
couldn't live without air conditioning. This time of year I keep the
indoor temp set around 73°F/23°C and even that is *just* comfortable for
me. I have to run a fan to be able to sleep at night.

I put a Purr Pad on my lap and Rusy loved to sit on purr pad.
It worked very well as purr pads are very light and made of polyester, I think.
It gets very hot here too.
Plus the Purr Pad trapped any fur Rusty shed.
You can get them at pets store.

Actually he is very aware of his claws, he holds back from actually patting
my face when he thinks teatime is late, he just "pretends" to. He is also
capable of putting just "one" claw out from his front paw and approaching my
face with it if I keep saying "it's not time" and he thinks it is. Like
"I've told you twice nicely, now I mean it.." but he never would actually
touch my face with a claw. Which are quite serious claws. I don't clip
them, I think he needs them to go outside: he sharpens them himself on my
trees.
Buffy is very lucky you adopted her. She looks middle-aged plus, do you
agree? I'm sure she will bring you much pleasure and companionship.

As with Persia, I have no idea how old she is. Best guess is 6 or 7
years old.

Lots of luck with your new girl.

Thanks! She's a really sweet cat.

Tweed
P.S. anything I ever adopted from a shelter or a bad home always cost me
megabucks in veterinary bills at first. Worth it in the end.

I'm not terribly worried about vet bills. I just don't want to get
clawed to pieces. She's getting better about it. If I gently touch her
front paws and say "claws" (as Judith suggested) she retracts them. She
doesn't know she's doing anything to hurt me but yes, those little claws
are razor sharp!

So far she's ignoring the two scratching posts I bought for her.

Are these vertical scratching posts? Rusty won't use them.
The one I got hang from a door knob.
When I put it flat on the floor, he went for it with gusto.

I ordered a nail clipper. I've been getting her used to my touching her
paws so I don't think it will be a big deal for me to clip them. Buffy
is a rather laid back cat.

After 15 years, it was still a struggle for me to clip Rusty's claws.
If you cut to the quick by accident like I did when Rusty squirmed and struggled, you can put a bit of flour to stop the bleeding.
That was what the vet told me to do

Winnie

Jill

Old June 12th 15, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/11/2015 8:38 PM, Rusty wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 8:30:53 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
"jmcquown" t wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

There aren't any pet stores where I live. I'm not even sure the PetCo
(or is it PetSmart?) is still open. It's on the other side of town. At
any rate, anything polyester would be terribly hot. Cotton is king
around my house. Nearly all my clothing is 100% cotton or linen. I am
of that "age" where I get hot easily, if you know what I mean.

So far she's ignoring the two scratching posts I bought for her.

Are these vertical scratching posts? Rusty won't use them.
The one I got hang from a door knob.
When I put it flat on the floor, he went for it with gusto.

I got one that is flat and one that is verticle. I've even showed her
how to scratch at them. She's ignoring them but my fingernails never
looked better! LOL Actually, she's been scratching at the wooden posts
on that piece of cat furniture I have, as intended.

I ordered a nail clipper. I've been getting her used to my touching her
paws so I don't think it will be a big deal for me to clip them. Buffy
is a rather laid back cat.

After 15 years, it was still a struggle for me to clip Rusty's claws.
If you cut to the quick by accident like I did when Rusty squirmed and struggled, you can put a bit of flour to stop the bleeding.
That was what the vet told me to do

Winnie

Good tip, thanks! I actually thought about buying a styptic pencil just
in case I clip too far. Flour, I already have. Thanks!

Jill
Old June 12th 15, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 11:56:38 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
On 6/11/2015 8:38 PM, Rusty wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 8:30:53 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Purr Pads are probably available online where you ordered the nail clipper.
Old June 12th 15, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/11/2015 3:58 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

I think it's a good decision. I know all about the indoor-outdoor
debate, don't want to get into that. Suffice to say indoors is safer
than outdoors wherever I've lived.

I got my first cat (as an adult) when I left for graduate school in Lincoln, Nebraska
and wanted a companion. My mother seemed to understand how I felt, and
after that time she always accepted my cats in her home when I returned
home at Christmas and for summer vacation. Years later, she moved into
my home (east Texas) after my father died, and I became her sole
caretaker. She actually enjoyed spending time with my cats (first
Amber, then Holly - both RB). One of my favorite pictures is a picture
of Mother asleep on the sofa with Amber stretched out beside her.

MaryL

That's a sweet picture to have (and a nice memory). My mother never
did get used to Persia. They had a mutual understanding: we both live
here. You don't bother me, I won't bother you. Fair enough.

My dad had an attitude about my dog, Sampson. When I was getting
divorced and had to temporarily move back in with my folks he was all
"You're not bringing that dog into my house." Okay, I'll find another
place to live. (Grudgingly) "Okay, bring the dog." He was a small dog,
what possible harm could he do? Next thing I knew Dad was on the floor
playing with the dog and Mom was cooking him scrambled eggs for
breakfast after I left for work. Criminitly! No wonder he won't eat
his Alpo!

Jill