Happy 2005 All

Old January 1st 05, 08:13 AM
:-\)Liz

Default Happy 2005 All

Happy 2005 To Us One And All!!!!!!! We ALL can use a GOOD!!!!!!!!!
Year!.....Mark E. be glad the only # I still have of yours starts with a
817- 319 and that...ALAS!!!!!! it wasn't you I got at midnight!!!!! :-(
Don't Know Who It Was..... But I Wished Them Happy New Year as well!!!!
: -) Liz

Old January 1st 05, 06:11 PM
Stormin Mormon

Got to start writing 05 on checks, now. I'll forget for most of a month.
Well, we survived another year.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

m...

Old January 1st 05, 09:02 PM
Christina Websell

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Got to start writing 05 on checks, now. I'll forget for most of a month.
Well, we survived another year.

--

150,000+ didn't.

Tweed

Old January 1st 05, 10:54 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"Christina Websell" had some very
interesting things to say about Happy 2005 All:

Got to start writing 05 on checks, now. I'll forget for most of a month.
Well, we survived another year.

150,000+ didn't.

So it's not something to be pleased about that billions did? Also, I'm
sure the worldwide number of deaths in 2004 was MUCH more than the
figure you give. Why is it that only some of those millions of dead
are of concern and all the rest are ignored?

Old January 1st 05, 11:44 PM
Christina Websell

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
"Christina Websell" had some very
interesting things to say about Happy 2005 All:

Got to start writing 05 on checks, now. I'll forget for most of a month.
Well, we survived another year.

150,000+ didn't.

So it's not something to be pleased about that billions did?

Yes. of course.

Also, I'm
sure the worldwide number of deaths in 2004 was MUCH more than the
figure you give. Why is it that only some of those millions of dead
are of concern and all the rest are ignored?

You are quite right. People I know have died this year, through old age or
disease. This happens all over the world, all the time. No-one remarks
about it. It has to happen.
However... I cannot be alone, surely, in mourning the dead from the tsumani.
So many people in the prime of their lives. So many children. All in one
go.

Christopher's post struck a raw note in me about surviving another year.
Sorry if I offended you, it's just what I thought at the time, while
watching the awful images on the TV.

Tweed

Old January 2nd 05, 12:02 AM
David Stevenson

Seanette Blaylock wrote
"Christina Websell" had some very
interesting things to say about Happy 2005 All:

Got to start writing 05 on checks, now. I'll forget for most of a month.
Well, we survived another year.

150,000+ didn't.

So it's not something to be pleased about that billions did? Also, I'm
sure the worldwide number of deaths in 2004 was MUCH more than the
figure you give. Why is it that only some of those millions of dead
are of concern and all the rest are ignored?

It is the modern view of what is news.

If twelve people die in separate road accidents in England in a day
[actually, that's a pretty good day] it is not news-worthy. If twelve
die in one accident it is. I do not think that the relatives of people
who die care whether it is in a one person accident or a multiple person
accident.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old January 2nd 05, 02:18 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Christina Websell" had some very
interesting things to say about Happy 2005 All:

You are quite right. People I know have died this year, through old age or
disease. This happens all over the world, all the time. No-one remarks
about it. It has to happen.
However... I cannot be alone, surely, in mourning the dead from the tsumani.
So many people in the prime of their lives. So many children. All in one
go.
Christopher's post struck a raw note in me about surviving another year.
Sorry if I offended you, it's just what I thought at the time, while
watching the awful images on the TV.

What bothered me was that it sounded like you were rebuking him for
being grateful for surviving a tough year, and that only some dead are
worthy of mourning while others just get dismissed. Makes it sound
like some people are more valuable than others, which bugs me.

Old January 2nd 05, 01:16 PM
David Stevenson

Seanette Blaylock wrote
[...]

Since the majority of the world - ie, anyone who thinks the media
portray news - think that people who die spectacularly matter more it is
not surprising to hear that view.

Old January 2nd 05, 02:43 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , David Stevenson at
wrote on 1/2/05 7:16AM:

Seanette Blaylock wrote
[...]

Interesting. I keep seeing things like this on Usenet, and I completely
disagree. It is not that they matter more, but I really don't think it's
inappropriate to address the enormity of this situation. It is unequaled in
modern times, even with the Bangledesh flooding back in the 70's, this is
much larger in scope. In my mind, it ranks right under a small asteroid
hitting the earth. So then, is it so wrong to boggle at the scope? To ask
for people to be generous? Not that I don't think the media likes a good
story that they can drag out, but this is different at least in my mind in
that I think it is important people DO see how enormous this is. This
summer, a small town of 300 people near me was destroyed by a tornado. The
scene there looked very much like this one except for one thing. There were
not bodies strewn everywhere and the towns next to it while damaged, did not
similarly lay in rubble and were very much there for immediate help. A very
sad even yes. But, our city sent buses and the refugees were here within an
hour. They had homes to go to, hotels, shelters, many relatives, few lives
were lost (I believe two people died and, yes, that was tragic and I
actually cried for these people) and the town began rebuilding almost
immediately. In this instance of Asia, there would be no nearby city that
was not similarly obliterated, no where to go, no where to get much help,
particularly in Indonesia and Summatra, for days. 1 in four people involved
in the event are dead. Not only that but there is no equipment to help you
with all the carnage and rubble. Instead of trucks rolling in the next
morning with National Guard and hundreds of volunteers as here in the cases
of a tornado event or hurricane event, it takes days to get into many of
these places. They have lost family, homes and livlihoods on a HUGE scale in
a few minutes. And unlike a country like the US that had an existing strong
infrastructure, it's going to be a long time to get a semblence of normalacy
to return in these places that had existing difficulties in health and,
indeed, simply access. That is what I see portrayed in the media. Yes, death
is a part of life and happens all the time, but we at least have family, or
jobs to turn to for help, for an outlet for grief. If your whole reason for
living is suddenly swept away and not just for one person but for tens of
thousands in the matter of minutes, yes, it bears talking about and is a
remarkable event. When entire families, in the thousands, are wiped off the
earth and not just one family member, it bears international attention. It
is an historic event. It is tragedy magnified thousands of times. It does
not negate personal tragedy that people suffer everyday, but it is certainly
something that provokes thought, concern and hopefully compassion from those
more fortunate. I can guarantee you that people here who lost their town
here, and people in Florida who went through the hurricanes probably think
that the coverage is warranted and that they were the lucky ones in the
scope of their tragedy. I ask all of you, in your lifetime, have tens of
thousands of people perished in one instant? People who came from all
corners of the earth? I can think of only one that comes close and it was
9/11, which still did not come close in numbers. And even in that instant,
there was help to go to immediately. I think this Tsuanmi event is worthy of
the coverage it has gotten and of the support it is receiving.

In keeping with the original thought of Happy 2005, it easy for me to say, I
think I will certainly have a happy 2005 because I have a home and a job and
family and cats. And I have a new ruler by which to measure my "bad days".