Another Smokey update

Old April 23rd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Another Smokey update

On 2006-04-23, -L. penned:

Now that he's eating more, you might want to try him on foods that
are high protein and more easily digested - like pure cooked
(roasted) chicken and turkey - dark meat is more readily accepted
and the meat can have a little garlic added if he likes garlic.
Another good food is Purina diabetic diet D/M canned - it is high in
protein and low in fillers and perfectly fine to feed a cat that has
digestive issues and/or is a frequent vomiter.

I thought garlic was toxic to cats.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 23rd 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:12:30 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"
yodeled:

On 2006-04-23, -L. penned:

Now that he's eating more, you might want to try him on foods that
are high protein and more easily digested - like pure cooked
(roasted) chicken and turkey - dark meat is more readily accepted
and the meat can have a little garlic added if he likes garlic.
Another good food is Purina diabetic diet D/M canned - it is high in
protein and low in fillers and perfectly fine to feed a cat that has
digestive issues and/or is a frequent vomiter.

I thought garlic was toxic to cats.

I hope not-- my cats lerve garlic.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 23rd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
I thought garlic was toxic to cats.

I asked my vet about that since garlic is a good fungicide and Rusty has
ringworm.
He said a small slice of garlic is OK. So I've been giving Rusty a small
slice of
garlic in a Pill Pocket every day.

The book Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Dr. Pitcairn also has a section
on the use
of garlic. Dr. Pitcairn is a vet.

Winnie

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 23rd 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-23, -L. penned:

Now that he's eating more, you might want to try him on foods that
are high protein and more easily digested - like pure cooked
(roasted) chicken and turkey - dark meat is more readily accepted
and the meat can have a little garlic added if he likes garlic.
Another good food is Purina diabetic diet D/M canned - it is high in
protein and low in fillers and perfectly fine to feed a cat that has
digestive issues and/or is a frequent vomiter.

I thought garlic was toxic to cats.

Onions are toxic. Garlic in small amounts is okay.

Jill

Old April 23rd 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sam wrote:

While the V*T said he didn't think Smokey had cancer, he did say that
the more frequent vomiting was seriously abnormal. He suggested that we
feed him the meat flavors of baby food as it would be more easily
digestible than cat food.

At first, he wasn't impressed, but then neither were we (have you
*smelled* that stuff? - yuck). He would lap at it a few times then turn
away and scratch over it as though to cover it up. He's been known to
do that to food of which he isn't fond. Over time, though, he's decided
it's not bad stuff.

On DW's orders, he's been getting half a jar at a meal. The half ration
has two objectives: (1) avoiding putting too much in his digestive
system at once; (2) keeping Little Miss Hoover (Mistletoe) from
finishing his food along with hers (She's "over-fluffy").

The baby food has helped with the throwing up. Recently, though, he's
been demanding more and more of it. He quickly laps up what's in his
dish then sits and alternates stares between the empty dish and the
stupid human who is trying to starve him. If that doesn't work,
M-e-e-e-o-w-w-w-w-w-w.

Finally, DW told me last night that he gets a whole jar at a feeding.
He's *much* better satisfied with that. And he doesn't leave Missy any
either!

And he still demands a tax on our dinner when we have chicken or pizza!

I'm so happy to hear that!
Continued purrs and best wishes for Smokey and thank you for taking such
good care of him,
Polonca and Soncek

Old April 24th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Sam" wrote in message
[...]

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Sam, you might want to ask your vet how long it's safe to let Smokey have
only baby food before the lack of taurine will cause problems.

Purrs coming that Smokey is all better now.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 25th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
"Sam" wrote in message
[...]

He goes back to the v*t tomorrow for a recheck. That's on the list of
questions for him. Thanks.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe