Dinner Guest that didn't leave!

Old August 19th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Update on Sly

Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/19/2008 1:28 PM):
jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, J a c k exclaimed (8/17/2008 4:26 PM):
Lesley wrote:

Sadly the sort of person who would declaw a cat probably wouldn't then
regard it as cruel to turn the cat out....

Oh good, an anti-declaw Nazi. Can never have too many of them, I
suppose.

Jack

**sigh** Yup, I'm one too. D'ya know what declawing really is? I
can come over and demonstrate, if you'd like. Won't hurt much or
anything, I'm only gonna take your fingers off at the first joint.

Although, Lesley, sometimes "the sort of person who would declaw a
cat" is just ignorant. When I was 18 I had my first cat declawed. I
had no idea what the procedure entailed, nor did my vet tell me.
Wasn't till a few years later that I learned what a horrific thing I
did to poor Mouse.

jmc

I was MOST grateful that I had done some research before that question
arose when I arranged for Ming to neutered. At that point, ca 10 years
ago, the vet's office seemed to think it was routine, not bad for the
cat, etc. :-(

(MY ignorance was in getting a cat that undoubtedly came from a kitten
mill. I had never even heard that term.)

Thank goodness little Cal, has Phil!

There was no internet when I adopted Mouse. I didn't even have a phone,
or a TV, back then.

jmc
Old August 20th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stampir

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

With grandchildren and cats (and, I confess, being the klutz that I am
and the slob that my husband it) - we don't much care about the state of
our crappy furniture. But as you get older your skin gets thinner and I
*bleed* a lot less when I keep claws trimmed (even if they aren't being
malicious, accidents can happen when you're playing with them).

I hear you. Once we made the mistake of taking Boo to the vet when it was
time to trim, her claws were long. Well, she HOWWWWWLLLLLLS piteously all
the way there, the kind of heart-wrenching, soulful, "whyyyyyy are you
torrrrrrrturing the fat little puddddddy tat that only lovvvvvvves
youoooo" howl that turns my knees to water. (Even though I KNOW I am not
torturing her, gd it! lol!) So I stick a finger in through the grated
door to comfort her, and she HOOKS me, and I mean deep. In Raleigh,
narrowlaned, rush hour traffic. She did not mean to, she was just
reaching out and upset. She was upset, I was upset. I screamed and she
got more upset.

Yes, there are many reasons why one might want to clip claws. I could
have done without that whole scene and so could Booty.

Archer, who was always a *BIG* boy even as a kitten (9 pounds!) tried
jumping up on my lap one day and didn't quite make it all the way because
my arm was in the way. When he started to fall he instinctively grabbed
on with his claws and dug them into my arm. All 9 pounds of him were
hanging from my arm by his claws. Ever since them I have RELIGIOUSLY
clipped claws every 2 weeks or more often as needed!!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yikes. That sounds painful. Sometimes Big Red will quickly roll over on his
back
while you're petting him (and ONLY if you have a long sleeve shirt on) then
grab
my arm w/his forepaws/claws, bare his teeth and begin wrassling. No
growling,
just arm wrassling.

Big Red has a 2 x 4 he loves scratching. What I don't understand is how he
doesn't get splinters in his paws from this activity.

Old August 22nd 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Lesley wrote:

[...]

Well then... Still, we manage to feel guilty.

--
Jean B.
Old August 24th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/21/2008 7:13 PM):
Lesley wrote:

[...]

That, we most certainly do.

jmc
Old August 29th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message
newsJ1qk.128$Ro1.74@trnddc04...

"cybercat" wrote in message

I'm changing his name to Calidor "Cal".

Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
better.

He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some weight,
he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window sill
when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive down
from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8 rubs
back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.

Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm

Phil

Old August 29th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey

Oh he is just beautiful! He looks like he's smiling. I like picture 2354 the
best. He looks like he is flirting with the camera.

Stacey

In article 3KUtk.4$Dj1.3@trnddc02, Phil P. says...

Old August 29th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cybercat" wrote in message

I'm changing his name to Calidor "Cal".

Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
better.

He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some
weight,
he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window
sill
when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive down
from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8
rubs
back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.

Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm

Hahaha!! He looks so happy and contented. I agree that Sly fits him. What a
great face!
Phil

Old August 29th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Stacey" wrote in message
Oh he is just beautiful! He looks like he's smiling. I like picture 2354
the
best. He looks like he is flirting with the camera.

In 2265 he looks like he just won Best In Show!!

Old August 29th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Stacey" wrote in message
Oh he is just beautiful! He looks like he's smiling. I like picture 2354
the
best. He looks like he is flirting with the camera.

In 2335 he's thinking, "I must be such a gooooood boy ...."

Old August 29th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

"cybercat" wrote in message

I'm changing his name to Calidor "Cal".

Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
better.

He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some weight,
he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window sill
when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive down
from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8 rubs
back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.

Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm

Phil

He's looking great! I was hoping I still had an earlier pic here,
but I don't.

--
Jean B.

We have a guest jofirey Cat anecdotes 9 January 22nd 08 10:49 PM
RPCA Guest Map Adrian A Cat anecdotes 22 July 25th 06 11:14 PM
Guest Kitty Bill Stock Cat anecdotes 21 September 26th 05 01:41 AM
A new outdoor guest Dan M Cat anecdotes 9 September 18th 04 05:51 PM
New guest kitty Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 2 August 9th 04 03:30 PM