Making an enclosure

Old February 26th 04, 12:08 AM
Hailey

Default Making an enclosure

Okay, I am going to start working on this pretty soon. I wondered if anyone
had any ideas.
We're going to make Tucker an enclosure and here is what we're thinking.

some kind of wire mesh, the bottom buried underground and then fastened on
both side of the *cage* with 2x4s. He will have a *ladder* leading from the
back porch, where he loves to sit in the window. The enclosure will be
mostly beneath the porch, with a smaller area off of that so he can have
direct sunshine, etc.

He can dig and run and play with spiders (he loves spiders.. YUCK) and climb
(on the truss type structure beneath the deck itself) and we were thinking
of a few more boards for him to go racing around and on and up and over.

I was thinking of attaching carpeting to the wall of the actual house
(outside wall, of course) so he could scratch out there too.

We wouldn't necessarily have any toys out there, with the except of perhaps
a ball or catnip toy. I think hanging something from the bottom of the deck
might be dangerous, kind of a hanging threat.

But he'd be thrilled just to be *outside* and able to eat fresh grass out
there and chase spiders and watch birds.

Okay, if anyone has any information on the good, the bad, the ugly of this
idea, would you mind sharing? I know there are undoubtedly things I've not
thought of.

Tucker thanks all the kitties lovers for you attention )

Hailey

Old February 26th 04, 12:19 AM
Sherry

[...]

Tucker will love his "room". I just wanted to throw in that when we built an
enclosure, we used the screen that was marketed as "pet screen". After over two
years, it has held up very well, has not torn or showed much wear. We also used
that wire fencing stuff (hog wire?). Anyway, it's small rectangles. It worked
well too, except birds can get in through the holes. (But is that a *bad*
thing??). Good luck!
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room2.jpg

Sherry

Old February 26th 04, 12:30 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Sherry " wrote in message
snipped
I just wanted to throw in that when we built an
enclosure, we used the screen that was marketed as "pet screen". After

over two
years, it has held up very well, has not torn or showed much wear.

The next time my porch needs to be rescreened, I'm considering using 'pet'
screen. Aesthetically (this is a side porch, which can be seen from the
front of the house), is 'pet' screening as non-noticeable as regular
fiberglass or (black) metal screening? Or is it a little "more there", or
considerably more noticeable? I saw it, on the roll, at the DIY store
(looked very thick/dark) a couple of years ago, *but* it was difficult to
tell how it would look when stretched out, in a single layer.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old February 26th 04, 02:12 AM
Cheryl

"Hailey" dumped this in
. net on 25 Feb 2004:

Okay, if anyone has any information on the good, the bad, the ugly of
this idea, would you mind sharing? I know there are undoubtedly things
I've not thought of.

I built one last year under my deck in the backyard. The deck is 8' off the
ground so there is plenty of headroom and room for building some perches
when I get around to that. The problem I see now is that this year is the
year I need to clean and seal the deck so that means all those toxic
chemicals are going to run down into their space. I'm not sure how I'm
going to handle that. I know I can put dropcloths on the ground underneath
but some is still bound to seep into the ground.
Old February 26th 04, 02:12 AM
Cheryl

"Hailey" dumped this in
. net on 25 Feb 2004:

Old February 26th 04, 02:37 AM
MacCandace

http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room2.jpg

Sherry

Wow, that is an awesome room, Sherry. I guess I never saw those pics before.
I'd love to have that. We're not handy enuf.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old February 26th 04, 03:44 AM
Sherry

The next time my porch needs to be rescreened, I'm considering using 'pet'
screen. Aesthetically (this is a side porch, which can be seen from the
front of the house), is 'pet' screening as non-noticeable as regular
fiberglass or (black) metal screening? Or is it a little "more there", or
considerably more noticeable? I saw it, on the roll, at the DIY store
(looked very thick/dark) a couple of years ago, *but* it was difficult to
tell how it would look when stretched out, in a single layer.

Cathy

It's definitely thicker and looks "blacker" than the regular screen. It's still
fairly attractive though. But (IMO) it's got a much heavier look than the
regular screen.

Sherry