OT Baby skwerls!

Old April 24th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default OT Baby skwerls!

My sister who works at the zoo is currently taking care of four baby
squirrels that had been abandoned by their mum (she mostly works with
wildlife rehabilitation). I visited her today at one of their feeding
sessions. She has to feed them every three hours, but fortunately, she
doesn't have to wake up in the night to feed them any more. It's her day
off, but she has the squirrels at home. Her cat Ronja is very interested
in the babies, but she thinks they smell awful (so did I :P).

Here are some pictures:

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...y%20squirrels/

Here's a video of my sister cleaning one of them and trying to encourage
it too pee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSo4mlH0TQ4

Here's another short clip of a feeding baby who yawns in the middle of
its meal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVlOCxOLrM

Old April 24th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...y%20squirrels/

They are so cute!!!! Yesterday I saw a family of squirrels playing
around and eating the blooms of our pineapple guava tree. The cats were
most interested.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 24th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

"Marina" wrote in message
My sister who works at the zoo is currently taking care of four baby
squirrels that had been abandoned by their mum (she mostly works with
wildlife rehabilitation). I visited her today at one of their feeding
sessions. She has to feed them every three hours, but fortunately, she
doesn't have to wake up in the night to feed them any more. It's her day
off, but she has the squirrels at home. Her cat Ronja is very interested
in the babies, but she thinks they smell awful (so did I :P).

Here are some pictures:

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...y%20squirrels/

WOW.

Here's a video of my sister cleaning one of them and trying to encourage
it too pee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSo4mlH0TQ4

She'll show that to the squirrel's boyfriends when she's a teenager.
"Would you like to see how cute Squirrelina was when she was a little baby?"
:P

Here's another short clip of a feeding baby who yawns in the middle of its
meal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVlOCxOLrM

Baby yawns are deadly. It almost doesn't matter what species.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old April 24th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 24, 7:38*am, Marina wrote:
[...]

OMG! Too cute. I have the utmost respect for your sister. Wildlife
rehab is something I would *love* to do, on one hand, but I couldn't
stand the inevitable
heartbreak for the ones that don't survive. Remember the baby
squirrels last year that were in the tree DH cut down? They were
*tiny*, and they thrived under the wildlife rehabber's care.
Just some FYI to anyone who rescues a nest of squirrels: Once you get
them in the car, you will become covered from head to toe with mites.
This is normal. :-)

Sherry

Sherry
Old April 24th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Marina wrote in news:67bd9uF2nmf2iU1
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

There are a lot of squirrels where I work and they are pretty brave since
no one bothers them. I was walking to lunch the other day and one was
running in front of me on my exact path and it totally reminded me of one
of our cats when we are bringing them food or soemthing. Wont move fast
enough but wont get out of the way.

Old April 25th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Victor Martinez wrote:
Marina wrote:
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...y%20squirrels/

They are so cute!!!! Yesterday I saw a family of squirrels playing
around and eating the blooms of our pineapple guava tree. The cats were
most interested.

It was funny that Ronja didn't seem interested in them as prey, but as
something strange that Meowmie was taking care of. Also funny was how
she drew back and wrinkled her nose when my sister gave her one of the
babies to sniff. LOL! I must admit, they didn't smell like roses. :P

Old April 25th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Kreisleriana wrote:

Baby yawns are deadly. It almost doesn't matter what species.

I thought it was so cute how she hardly stopped sucking in order to yawn.

Old April 25th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:

OMG! Too cute. I have the utmost respect for your sister. Wildlife
rehab is something I would *love* to do, on one hand, but I couldn't
stand the inevitable
heartbreak for the ones that don't survive.

Yes, that can be hard. My sister had several baby seals to look after
last winter (I think 9 at best - or at worst, depending on how you look
at it; they were ones found without their mothers) and all but one
survived. But they were pretty sure that one wouldn't make it, since it
was in such bad shape when they got it. All the others have been
returned to the wild.

Of course, the media loves a story about baby animals, and the zoo
workers have their work cut out for them to keep the destination of
every orphan seal a secret, or the media will show up and interfere with
the release. My sis says there's nothing as gratifying as when they
release a seal into the waters near a colony of seals, and all the seals
start calling out to each other and welcoming the newcomer. I'd love to
see that, but of course I understand and respect the need for secrecy.

Remember the baby
squirrels last year that were in the tree DH cut down? They were
*tiny*, and they thrived under the wildlife rehabber's care.

So glad to hear that.

Just some FYI to anyone who rescues a nest of squirrels: Once you get
them in the car, you will become covered from head to toe with mites.
This is normal. :-)

These babies were clean.

Old April 25th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

outsider wrote:
There are a lot of squirrels where I work and they are pretty brave since
no one bothers them. I was walking to lunch the other day and one was
running in front of me on my exact path and it totally reminded me of one
of our cats when we are bringing them food or soemthing. Wont move fast
enough but wont get out of the way.

LOL. We call that 'following in front.'

Old April 25th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:05:16 -0400, Kreisleriana wrote:

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

This reminds me of a funny memory from high school. My high school
biology teacher told us about the time when his twin sons were babies,
and caught diarrhea. He described how difficult it was to get the cloth
diapers clean and dry in time before they were needed again (and, no, I
don't remember what train of thought led to this discussion).
Unfortunately, his twins were among the students in the class as he was
telling the story. They slid down in their seats with the most dismayed
expression I have ever seen on anyone's face. "Dad, no, you can't tell
THAT story to my friends...". If I remember correctly, we were all 15
years old at the time.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Baby cookie Cat health & behaviour 2 July 4th 07 01:57 AM
R.I.P. baby boy, R.I.P. ... John Rahn Cat anecdotes 36 July 15th 06 11:01 PM
I have a new baby Irulan Cat anecdotes 22 June 28th 05 01:50 AM
Welcome new baby!!! Gracecat Cat anecdotes 58 May 7th 04 10:44 PM
Baby, baby don't get hooked on me Ginger-lyn Summer Cat anecdotes 20 April 9th 04 07:06 PM