New cat hiding

Old February 1st 04, 07:17 PM
Jonathan

Default New cat hiding

Hi all

After several years without a cat, I adopted a lovely black female on
friday. She's about two/three years old. When her owners brought her she
was quite assertive, checking out the new flat and wandering around. Even
let me feed and stroke her etc.
A few minutes after her last owners left, she hid under the sofa and has
pretty much remained there. She hides under the bed at night when I am
there, but the sofa is her favourite place.
She lets me stroke her, and enjoys it when I do, but my arm is only so
long!
I can feed her by giving her biscuits where she is and last night, while I
was asleep she came out and ate, and used the litter tray.

Around half past midnight last night she came out from beneath the sofa and
lay down next to me and rolled over, allowing me to stroke her. But a
neighbour came home and banged their door so she hid again.

She followed me into the bedroom when I went to sleep (but didn't stay), so
it's not as though she doesn't like me - just seems very, very, shy of her
new environment.

I've never had this problem with a cat before - usually they take a couple
of hours to get used to the new environment.

Is she okay, do you think? I'm worried about her becoming dehydrated - she
doesn't appear to have drunk any water (though in my experience cats need
to be shown there is water there or they miss it!). How long do you think I
should leave it before I get worried?

Should I avoid having the TV and radio on, or should she be allowed to get
used to the noise of her new home?
She used to live with another cat (older and not related) but he was "in
charge" in her old house. Her owners thought her behaviour when she was
first let out here suggested she was being intimidated by the other cat and
she would be more assertive on her own.

TIA

Jonathan (UK)
Old February 1st 04, 07:33 PM
Gail

It would be best if you can restrict her to one room with a comfortable bed,
litter, water, and her food. She will feel more secure there. As she feels
safer, you can open the door and let her explore the rest of the house. She
will be fine, in time.
Gail

Old February 1st 04, 07:39 PM
Jonathan

Thanks Gail

Trouble is, it's quite an open plan flat so the only door is to the
bedroom. Maybe that would have been the best place to let her stay but I
suppose it's too late now. She seems to have made it her home.

I did have the food and litter tray near where she is, in the living room
(lounge/sitting room - whatever you call it!) but it wasn't ideal in case
people came round. I'll put them back there tonight when I go to sleep.

Maybe a cardboard box on its side with a blanket in it would help...

Old February 1st 04, 11:14 PM
Gail

Also, Jonathan, I would use interactive toys to help her bond with you. In
the US, we have these wands with feathers attached to the end of them. My
cats absolutely love them and it helped tame my one feral cat.
Gail

Old February 1st 04, 11:23 PM
Chris

I think that new cats like to explore at night when all is quiet. Just make
sure she has a 'safe' route to litter box & food/water. If she likes her
carrier, you might try to leave it out somewhere so it can be her 'safe'
place! Sounds though like she is just going to be fine given a little time.
Don't worry about TV, she'll figure it out!

Old February 1st 04, 11:57 PM
Jenny Torango

Play with her. I swear it will work. A friend of mine had a cat named
Misty that she adopted- she was a rescue kitty and something horrible must
have happened to her because the poor thing was afraid of her own shadow.
Well, she pretty much lived under my friend's bed- only coming out in the
middle of the night and when no one was in the house....she wouldn't let
anyone near her, let alone pet her. Misty was like this for ten
years...then I moved in and started renting a room from my friend. At the
time she had four cats, all sociable but Misty...Misty would only come out
half way down the hall and would run back under the bed at any sudden noise.
There was a door down the middle of the hall and one night I tied a soft
plastic frog to a string and put it in the doorway and gently pulled it
until it fell out of the door, then I would put it back in the hall and
repeat the process...after a few days, Misty started playing very very
carefully- a few paw swipes here, a few pounces there- then she would back
off. I played with her everyday and every day she would get more and more
playful. She started coming out to the end of the hall way- where our
living room was, and I would play with her there with the "froggy rope" and
she would play and get all worked up. I kept playing with her and before
you knew it, she would come right up to me. After that, she would let me
pet her, only when she was laying down, but she still let me pet her. Then,
while I would be watching sitting on the couch, watching TV, she would sit
on the couch too- not right next to me, but she would share the couch and
let me pet her. Then, one day I tried to pet her while she was standing up
and she let me. Anyway, it was baby steps but by the time she passed away,
misty was sitting on my lap, brave enough to let me pet her belly and pick
her up...she wouldn't let anyone else in the house do this- not even the
lady who had had her all these years. She bonded to me and stuck to me like
glue from then on...she passed away last fall but she did get to experience
a normal kitty life eventually.

Good luck with your cat! I would get a long piece of string with a toy tied
to the end and dangle it over the side of the sofa or bed (where ever she is
hanging out). take your time and don't rush her...I'm sure it will work
out.

-Jenny
Northern California Coast
"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]

---

Still in hiding Singh Cat anecdotes 36 October 25th 04 04:22 PM
Hiding and Seeking O J Cat anecdotes 16 July 10th 04 01:43 AM