11: The Twelve Commandments of Flaming

Old February 11th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

Default 11: The Twelve Commandments of Flaming

The Twelve Commandments of Flaming

by Dani K

1. Make things up about your opponent: It's important to make your
lies sound true. Preface your argument with the word "clearly."
"Clearly, Fred Flooney is a liar, and a dirtball to boot."
2. Be an armchair psychologist: You're a smart person. You've heard of
Freud. You took a psychology course in college. Clearly, you're
qualified to psychoanalyze your opponent. "Polly Purebread, by
using the word 'zucchini' in her posting, shows she has a bad case
of penis envy."
3. Cross-post your flames: Everyone on the net is just waiting for the
next literary masterpiece to leave your terminal! From the Apple II
RoundTable to X-10 Powerhouse RoundTable, they're all holding their
breath until your next flame. Therefore, post everywhere.
4. Conspiracies abound: If everyone's against you, the reason can't
possibly be that you're a ****head. There's obviously a conspiracy
against you, and you will be doing the entire net a favor by
exposing it.
5. Lawsuit threats: This is the reverse of Rule #4 (sort of like the
Yin & Yang of Flaming). Threatening a lawsuit is always considered
to be in good form. "By saying that I've posted to the wrong group,
Bertha has libeled me, slandered me, and sodomized me. See you in
court, Bertha."
6. Force them to document their claims: Even if Harry Hoinkus states
outright that he likes tomato sauce on his pasta, you should demand
documentation. If Newsweek hasn't written an article on Harry's
pasta preferences, then Harry's obviously lying.
7. Use foreign phrases: French is good, but Latin is the lingua franca
of flaming. You should use the words "ad hominem" at least three
times per article. Other favorite Latin phrases are "ad nauseum,"
"veni, vidi, vici," and "fetuccini alfredo."
8. Tell 'em how smart you a Why use intelligent arguments to
convince them you're smart when all you have to do is tell them?
State that you're a member of Mensa, or Mega, or Dorks of America.
Tell them the scores you received on every exam since high school.
"I got an 800 on my SATs, LSATs, GREs, MCATs, and I can also spell
the word 'premeiotic' ."
9. Accuse your opponent of censorship. It is your right as an American
citizen to post whatever the hell you want to the net (as
guaranteed by the 37th Amendment, I think). Anyone who tries to
limit your cross-posting or move a flame war to email is either a
communist, a fascist, or both.
10. Doubt their existence: You've never actually seen your opponent,
have you? And since you're the center of the universe, you should
have seen them by now, shouldn't you? Therefore, THEY DON'T EXIST!
This is the beauty of flamers' logic.
11. Lie, cheat, steal, leave the toilet seat up.
12. When in doubt, insult: If you forget the other 11 rules, remember
this one. At some point during your wonderful career as a Flamer
you will undoubtedly end up in a flame war with someone who is
better than you. This person will expose your lies, tear apart your
arguments, make you look generally like a bozo. At this point,
there's only one thing to do: INSULT THE DIRTBAG!!! "Oh yeah? Well,
your mother does strange things with vegetables."

-----

EXAMPLE...for the Rookie Flamer

-----

* Dear Joe,

I object to your use of the word "dear." It shows you are a
condescending, sexist pig. Also, the submissive tone you use shows that
you like to be tied down and flagellated with licorice whips.

* While I found your article "The Effect of Belly-Button Lint on
Western Thought" to be extremely thought-provoking,

"Thought-provoking?" I had no idea you could think, you rotting piece of
swamp slime.

* it really shouldn't have been posted in rec.scuba.

What? Are you questioning my judgement? I'll have you know that I'm a
member of the super-high-IQ society Menstruate. I got an 800 on my PMS
exam.

Your attempts constitute nothing less than censorship. There is a
conspiracy against me. You, Riff Raff, and Simon Sinister have been
constantly harassing me by email. This was an ad hominem attack! I have
therefore cross-posted this to alt.flame, rec.nude, comp.graphics, and
rec.arts.wobegon.

* Perhaps you should have posted it in misc.misc.

It is my right, as granted in the Bill of Rights, the Magna Carta, the
Bible and the Koran, to post where ever I want to. Or don't you believe
in those documents, you damn fascist? Perhaps if you didn't spend so
much time sacrificing virgins and infants to Satan, you would have
realized this.

* Your article would be much more appropriate there.

Can you document this? I will only accept documents notarized by my
attorney, and signed by you in blood. Besides, you don't really exist
anyway, you AI project, you.

---------------------------------

Further items on Netiquette may be found at

http://blakjak.com/gen_men2.htm

This document may also be found at

http://blakjak.com/flaming.htm

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome

OT BUT INTRESTING ?? = Flaming mouse burns house down whayface Cats - misc 5 January 12th 06 01:22 PM
OT BUT INTRESTING ?? = Flaming mouse burns house down whayface Cat community 5 January 12th 06 01:22 PM
A Kitten's Twelve Days of Christmas Mischief... Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 4 December 8th 05 01:12 PM
Cat Commandments Nan Cat anecdotes 10 August 7th 05 02:31 AM
The Twelve Days of Catmas Nan Cat anecdotes 2 December 13th 03 10:26 AM