Weird problems with my old cat

Old January 2nd 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Weird problems with my old cat

Hi, I have a cat, 21 years old who is pretty much on her deathbed. She
started having labored breathing a couple weeks ago which annoyed me
wondering if she was suffering. I took her to the vet and the guy told
me she had fluid around her lungs and liver and this caused the
breathing problem. He told me she wasnt really suffering just maybe
uncomfortable. He said he could tap into her which is using a needle
to get the fluid out but that at her age there was a good chance she
would die during the procedure. Instead he prescribed salix telling me
that it could help her get rid of some of the fluid but can also cause
kidney problems. I decided to try that. He also told me that the cat
most likely had cancer and probably brain cancer because she has
started having seizures early in 2007 about every 3 months, and also
said he didnt think she had long to live, maybe 2 weeks. I am hoping
just to make things as comfortable as possible and hope she passes in
her sleep.

The new problem I am having is I started her on the salix Saturday and
havent really noticed any difference with the breathing. But now Im
noticing that she has not eaten Monday or Tuesday, when before she
didnt eat much but did eat about a half or 3/4 a small can of wet cat
food a day. She has basically ate nothing Monday and Tuesday, maybe a
couple small cat treats, so Today(Wednesday) I took her off the Salix.
Also one weird thing she has started doing this morning is trying to
move her bowels multiple times, but nothing coming out, she has been
doing this about every hour to two hours today and she has also
mimicked puking a couple times with nothing coming out, probably
because there is nothing in her stomach. She was not doing anything
like this before I started giving her the Salix which is why I stopped
it. I'm on the verge of having her put down now, she doesnt seem to be
suffering but these new things she is doing are worrying me. The
breathing is not so bad that she is breathing through her mouth and
she can still jump on a chair or recliner but today she is acting real
sick. The vet did tell me that if her breathing got to where it looked
real uncomfortable that I should have her put down, but the breathing
is the same. Anyone know what is going on? Thank you.
Old January 2nd 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to :

He said he could tap into her which is using a needle
to get the fluid out but that at her age there was a good chance
she would die during the procedure. Instead he prescribed salix
telling me that it could help her get rid of some of the fluid but
can also cause kidney problems. I decided to try that.

This is just my opinion, but if it was not causing her visible
discomfort and even the vet suggested that it was possibly causing
her discomfort only, I'd never put her on medicine that could cause
other problems (then again, any medicine could cause a problem I
suppose). But I guess that is neither here nor there, now.

Has she had any seizures since last month (the 20th of December)? By
the way, what exactly is causing the fluid?

Anyway, I'd ask for pain management medication if you are concerned
about suffering and allow Momma to go peacefully with you by her
side.

If it gets worse or you can tell she is in pain, help her to Heaven
-- again, by her side.

Good luck with what you decide. You'll definitely get well-wishes,
prayers, and hope from this group, so let us know... in the meantime,
here's wishing you and her well.

(And if you disappear again like last time with absolutely no further
response, I hope you stub your toe -- HARD.)

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old January 3rd 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

It sounds as if she is blocked - if she is trying to eliminate and not
succeeding and now is vomiting. I would take her to the vet right
away. This is not a good situation.

Neither is not eating for 2 days - that could cause liver damage. You
cannot wait to take a cat of this age to the vet - you must go at the
first signs of illness.

Old January 3rd 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jan 2, 6:52�pm, "-Lost" wrote:
Response to :

[...]

Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. �Don't e-mail me. �I am
kidding. �No I am not.

Her last seizure was around December 20th, that is when the breathing
problem became obvious, that was her third I know of, she also had one
in February, and another in around july/August. She is acting more
normal tonight than this morning, she made it to the litter box and
then came back and laid in her bed, she basically sleeps all the time
except to get up to go to the litter box. Her vision is also bad and
she has trouble finding the litter box, she seems week too and
sometimes stumbles when walking. She still has not eaten however, I
tried to feed her by hand but she just smells it and that is it. The
doctor believes the cats problems are from old age and it is not worth
it to put her through the stress of tests, she is either 21 or 22, I
got her before I started the 2nd grade in school and I am now going on
28 years old. He believes she has cancer because Cats start having
seizures at an old age is usually because of cancer, and she probably
might have some heart problems due to old age. I had her blood tested
early in the year and they found nothing, I just had an xray which
showed the fluid around the lungs, that is all I am going to test for,
I already took her off the salex and am hoping she gets her appetite
back or I am really going to be torn on putting her down or not. I
think he said I could get something like morphine for pain but he said
that any medication will have risks/benefits on such an old cat, maybe
I will get some tomorrow and keep her on it until she passes. I'm
taking it day by day. She is real thin though, shes a siamese and you
cant really tell until you pet her and she is very bony, I really had
my hopes up Friday and Saturday because she ate real well and then she
suddenly stopped eating, which coincided with the Salex.
Old January 3rd 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jan 2, 9:50Â*pm, "Buddy's Mom" wrote:
It sounds as if she is blocked - if she is trying to eliminate and not
succeeding and now is vomiting. Â*I would take her to the vet right
away. Â*This is not a good situation.

Neither is not eating for 2 days - that could cause liver damage. Â*You

On Jan 2, 2:38�pm, wrote:

[...]

is the same. Anyone know what is going on? Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

She has not been doing that tonight, regardless Im giving the vet a
call in the morning to ask what he thinks and ask about morphine.
Old January 3rd 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Jan 2, 2:38�pm, wrote:

[...]

What is this "salix" buisiness? Obviously she is a dead duck. So
just hold her in your arms and sing a little song.

Lay me down beneaf de willers in de grass,
Whah de branch 'll go a-singin' as it pass.
An' w'en I's a-layin' low,
I kin hyeah it as it go
Singin', "Sleep, my honey, tek yo' res' at las'."

Lay me nigh to whah hit meks a little pool,
An' de watah stan's so quiet lak an' cool,
Whah de little birds in spring,
Ust to come an' drink an' sing,
An' de chillen waded on dey way to school.

Let me settle w'en my shouldahs draps dey load
Nigh enough to hyeah de noises in de road;
Fu' I t'ink de las' long res'
Gwine to soothe my sperrit bes'
Ef I's layin' 'mong de t'ings I's allus knowed.

Old January 3rd 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"honeybunch" wrote:
call in the morning to ask what he thinks and ask about morphine.

What is this "salix" buisiness? Obviously she is a dead duck. So
just hold her in your arms and sing a little song.

I agree. It is time to give this cat a little mercy, and hope that someone
gives you this gift when your time comes.

Old January 3rd 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Jan 3, 1:11Â*am, wrote:
On Jan 2, 6:52�pm, "-Lost" wrote:

Response to :

[...]

might have some heart problems due to old age. Â*I had her blood tested
early in the year and they found nothing, I just had an xray which
showed the fluid around the lungs, that is all I am going to test for,
I already took her off the salex and am hoping she gets her appetite
back or I am really going to be torn on putting her down or not. I
think he said I could get something like morphine for pain but he said
that any medication will have risks/benefits on such an old cat, maybe
I will get some tomorrow and keep her on it until she passes. I'm
taking it day by day. She is real thin though, shes a siamese and you
cant really tell until you pet her and she is very bony, I really had
my hopes up Friday and Saturday because she ate real well and then she
suddenly stopped eating, which coincided with the Salex.- Hide quoted text -

However hard you might find this to do, you *Must* call the vet @ the
earliest opportunity & have him assess her again. I know that you have
been to see the vet recently, but it sounds like your feline family
member needs the greatest gift of all; the gift of mercy. She has
served you faithfully for more years than you can probably remember.
Now the time has come for you to show her the same dedication. She is
relying on you for that. It would be terribly unfair to allow her to
continue for much longer in this state of health, even with pain meds.

You might be surprised. The vet might be able to tap her chest for
you, but you would only be putting off the inevitable. Another member
of the group is going through a very similar experience to you, & she
has had a somewhat similar scenario to your own. Tapping her chest
would help, ( But ONLY IF she got through that!!) When it gets to the
stage where she has stopped eating, & you have reached the stage where
you are running to keep up with her, then time is telling you that you
can't keep running.
I understand how hard this might be for you- We all do!
We would be grateful if you would be so kind as to let us know how you
got on.
TIA,
Sheelagh "o"
Old January 3rd 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to :

[...]

I am really sorry to hear it -- all of it. Hopefully she regains a
little appetite and has peace up until the end -- and I hope it won't
be soon, but you've obviously given her great care to help her reach
such a mature age.

I agree with what Sheelagh said, although I am still a fan of pain
medication -IF- she is in pain or major discomfort. If the
discomfort from breathing is more of a, "Sheesh, I wish I could shake
this cough -- I am having trouble breathing." then I'd let her do her
thing. I just never want to go through the experience and thought of
an animal experiencing pain as one of their last emotions, feelings,
sensations before they left me again.

Please let us know if the appetite picks back up a bit -- I'd make
sure she gets extra of her favorite treats too. *wink*

Even if your choice becomes a difficult one, you've got people here
in similar positions that will offer you the warmest possible wishes
and advice that can be mustered on Usenet.

Good luck with everything and remember to give her a big hug and a
nice long rub for me while you're at it.

Post back any updates.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old January 7th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PET ADMIN

On Jan 2, 11:38 am, wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about her condition. My mother's dog recently went
through a similar situation. She put her down & felt terrible for a
couple of days, but she felt much better knowing that she was not
suffering any longer. She was blind and quit breathing once in a
while and very, very sluggish and weak most of the time. She felt
much better & said it was the right thing to do. It sounds similar to
your situation. Good luck and be congratulated that you were such a
good mother, she lived for over 20 years. How many can say that!?

troy . allison @ gmail.com
www . petadministration.com