Cats alone... how long?

Old April 14th 04, 01:48 AM
Ablang

Default Cats alone... how long?

I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

--
"All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner."
-- Red Skelton
Old April 14th 04, 02:41 AM
Tim May

In article , Ablang
wrote:

I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

I left two cats alone for 8 days.

I left two large bowls of food, three large bowls of water (in case
they somehow spilled one of them). And I left the toilet seats up...

Two litter boxes.

When I got home, it was as if I had never left.

--Tim May

Old April 14th 04, 03:14 AM
Laura R.

circa Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), in rec.pets.cats, Ablang
) said,

I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I don't. I get a catsitter.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Old April 14th 04, 04:24 AM
MaryL

"Ablang" wrote in message
I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

--

I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask instead of the one you
asked -- that is, how long *should* a cat be left alone (or - how long is it

In my opinion, cats should not be left alone for more than one night. I
realize that many cats have been left alone for much longer without any
problems. However, think of what *could* happen during your absence ... all
the accidents and illnesses that could occur without any prior warning. I
consider what Tim May described to be irresponsible. If you are going to be
gone more than one night, please make arrangements for someone to check on
your cats. This could be a professional pet sitter or a reliable friend,
but it is important to have someone available to take your cats to a vet if
an emergency occurs and to provide care and attention in your absence.

MaryL

Old April 14th 04, 05:21 AM
Sandy

[...]

I have to agree. I've always had someone come in at least once a day to
check on the cats and take care of other things at the same time (bringing
in mail, watering plants, whatever), and the most important thing, even
before feeding and watering, was to find the cats and make sure they were
OK. Until recently I was paying my niece and nephews to do that for me, but
they've been fired for dereliction of duty the last time I was away... but
that's another story.

Sandy
--
Do the math.

Old April 14th 04, 05:37 AM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:24:15 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Ablang" wrote in message
I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I live in a small apartment and left my cat for 4 1/2 days once when I
went on a trip and couldn't find anyone to take him. I had my niece
(I don't know my neighbors and wouldn't trust any of them with my key)
come over once to clean his box and make sure he had enough food.
That was when he was eating unlimited dry, so I left about 3
containers of food for him. I have to say, I worried about him the
whole time I was gone and thought about him the whole way home. Now
that he is eating only canned, I would never leave him without having
someone come by and feed him daily for me. I put all his toys out for
him and left the heat at 65. It was March, but I live in Oregon,
where it rains a lot and our weather is pretty unpredictable. I also
left the light on in the kitchen. You have to know my cat, but when I
got home, he was as happy to see me as a puppy would be. He never
sulks or acts mad at me like I've heard some cats do.
I have also boarded my cat at a vet and that works well, too, but
people can't always afford to do that.
I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
to have someone check on it for you. Irresponsible would be to leave
a cat outside or leave it to totally fend for itself inside and ration
it's own food and water. They are our pets, they are our children,
but they aren't human and they don't need 24 hour human interaction to
survive.
pepsi