Male cat FLUTD UTI problems

Old March 24th 10, 10:47 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Male cat FLUTD UTI problems

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message
news
"cshenk" wrote in message
"Stormmee" wrote

you are talking about torrine, sp? for the cats needs, i just

never
looked
into if the dog eating the cat food would hurt the dog, Lee

Thats it or close enough. Dog eating the cat food is harmless.

No, it is not harmless. Dog food doesn't contain enough protein for
cats.
Cats couldn't eat enough dog food to meet their nutritional
requirements
because they would reach saiety long before their nutritional
requirements
were met.

Dog food also does not contain enough fat for cats. Thats why dogs

get
fat
quickly when they eat cat food.

Cat eating
the dog food won't hurt them either as long as long as they get

enough
of
that stuff in the diet.

Feeding dog food to a cat would certainly would hurt the cat if she

ate
it
for more than a few days.

It's pretty close on what both need, except that one added thing
the
cats
need

No, dog food is not close to cat food in nutrients cats require.

In addition to the lack of enough protein and fat, and the lack of
taurine,
dog foods use beta-carotene as a source of Vitamin A. Cats cannot
convert
beta-carotene into vitamin A, and must have preformed vitamin-A.

Dog food also does not contain arachidonic acid - an essential fatty
acid
for cats. Dog food contains linoleic acid from which dogs
synthesize
arachidonic acid. Cats cannot synthesize arachidonic acid from

linoleic
acid
and must obtain arachidonic acid in their diet.

Cats require more arginine than dogs because they lack an intestinal
enzyme,
pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthase, required for synthesis of the
arginine
precursor, ornithine. Arginine is required for normal protein
synthesis
and
ammonia detoxification.

Cats have a higher requirements for B vitamins than dogs. Cat foods
contain
at least twice the amounts of many B vitamins found in dog foods.

Bottom line-- cats are not small dogs. Feed cats cat food and feed
dogs
dog
food.

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

If only you guys could hear yourselves.......It would be hard to
believe.....How can feeding cat food to a dog hurt the (any) cat? It's
the
dog eating the wrong food, you nitwits, not the cat.....

I was correcting the statement that "Cat eating the dog food won't hurt
them
either....", nitwit. And yes, feeding cat food to a dog can hurt the

dog.
Cat food contains more protein and fat which leads to obesity in dogs,
nitwit.

So it comes down to your definition of, "hurt".

No- it comes down to feeding cat food to cats and dog food to dogs. That
should be simple enough even for a babbling nitwit like you to understand.

What I fail to understand is how the hell you (or anyone but a zoo keeper)
can keep a dog from eating the cat food. I had a beagle, and there was no
way I could keep him from eating any damn thing he pleased. If it was there,
he would eat it. Of course, if you don't have to work for a living, and have
nothing better to do but police what your animals eat, then you could do it,
but then, you would effectively be a zoo keeper. Us adults have to work for
a living, and we leave our animals food while we are at work, and they will
eat what they want to eat, and take it from me.....The beagles will eat the
cat food, nitwit.....

Old March 24th 10, 10:52 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"dgk" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:25:38 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:41:11 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

"Phil P." wrote in message
news:yrKdnXPVAJzpbzvWnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@giganews .com...

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

If only you guys could hear yourselves.......It would be hard to
believe.....How can feeding cat food to a dog hurt the (any) cat?
It's
the
dog eating the wrong food, you nitwits, not the cat.....

I was correcting the statement that "Cat eating the dog food won't
hurt
them
either....", nitwit. And yes, feeding cat food to a dog can hurt the
dog.
Cat food contains more protein and fat which leads to obesity in dogs,
nitwit.

So it comes down to your definition of, "hurt". To me, getting sick from
one
or two exposures is, "hurt". Not being forced to eat the stuff for the
animal's entire life, or over a period of months and months......If
eating
cat food was harmful to dogs, then every dog I have ever known has been
harmed.......I suppose that you must believe they have been, from your
narrow definition of "harmed".

There is a delayed way of eating cat food as well. One of my brother's
dogs used to like to eat the cat poops out of the litterbox. We always
figured that it was crunchy on the outside and smooth on the inside
but weren't willing to personally check it out. I usually think that
cats are so weird but dogs aren't immune.

That was real incentive to keep the litterbox clean.

The TV told me the other day that there was a parasite in cat poop that
can
be harmful to humans. (children, usually) I forget what it's called, but
it
sounded pretty bad to me.......

That's probably referring to Toxoplasmosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

I had no idea it was so widespread or debilitating.

The TV show I saw didn't say it was widespread, but they did say it was
debilitating......It was the Animal Planet series on Parasites.

Old March 24th 10, 11:26 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Bill Graham exclaimed (3/24/2010 5:47 PM):

What I fail to understand is how the hell you (or anyone but a zoo
keeper) can keep a dog from eating the cat food. I had a beagle, and
there was no way I could keep him from eating any damn thing he pleased.
If it was there, he would eat it. Of course, if you don't have to work
for a living, and have nothing better to do but police what your animals
eat, then you could do it, but then, you would effectively be a zoo
keeper. Us adults have to work for a living, and we leave our animals
food while we are at work, and they will eat what they want to eat, and
take it from me.....The beagles will eat the cat food, nitwit.....

Actually, I'm pretty sure most folks that own both dogs and cats manage
to keep the dogs from eating the cat food and the cats from eating the
dog food.

Amazingly, most cat owners can even keep multiple cats from eating each
other's food! OMG how can they possibly manage???

It's really not that hard. I'm sorry it's so hard for you.

jmc
who is feeling snarkier than normal tonight.
Old March 25th 10, 12:05 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

You can put the cat food high up where the dogs can't get to it, but keeping
the cats out of the dog food is usually impossible.....fortunately, most
cats can't stand dog food, so there is no problem. My five cats could eat
the raccoon food (dog food I leave out for the raccoons) easily, but they
don't like it. The raccoons do eat the cat food whenever they get the
chance, but the cats won't let them in the house, so there really isn't any
problem there either. For sure, there isn't enough cross feeding to be a
health problem for either species, and the original posts seemed to be
concerned with health problems involved in cross feeding.

Old March 25th 10, 12:22 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

news

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message
news
"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

You fail to understand because you're a nitwit. If you can't figure out
how
to feed the cats where the dog
can't reach, then you're too dumb to have cats and dogs.

I had a beagle, and there was no
way I could keep him from eating any damn thing he pleased.

That's because the dog was smarter than you, nitwit. If you can't outsmart
dog, you'll *never* outsmart a cat!

At least I know the difference.....From the posts you guys were engaged in
above, I don't think either of you did, which is why I entered into this
conversation to begin with.....

Old March 25th 10, 01:07 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message
news
"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

That's because the dog was smarter than you, nitwit. If you can't outsmart a
dog, you'll *never* outsmart a cat!

Old March 25th 10, 01:12 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Bill Graham exclaimed (3/24/2010 7:05 PM):

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, it's pretty simple as long as you don't free choice feed the
dog. Lock the cats out of wherever you feed the dog, when you feed him.
Problem solved.

Glad I could help

jmc
Old March 25th 10, 08:32 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

news

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message
news
"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

That's a start... Now all you have to work on is which food the cat gets and
which food the dog gets.

Old March 25th 10, 11:03 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Bill Graham" wrote

What I fail to understand is how the hell you (or anyone but a zoo keeper)
can keep a dog from eating the cat food. I had a beagle, and there was no
way I could keep him from eating any damn thing he pleased. If it was
there, he would eat it. Of course, if you don't have to work for a living,
and have nothing better to do but police what your animals eat, then you
could do it, but then, you would effectively be a zoo keeper. Us adults
have to work for a living, and we leave our animals food while we are at
work, and they will eat what they want to eat, and take it from me.....The
beagles will eat the cat food, nitwit.....

LOL, true. You *can't* really control most beagles around food left out.
Oh, I know it isnt true of all of them (individual personality will come to
play) but generally beagles will eat anything they can get at until they
hurl. At least mine does and almost all other beagle owners I know say the
same thing.

I have a friend at work with an exception. She's got 4 beagles and one of
them controls himself. He could be free-fed if it were not for the others.

Grin, I work it this way. Cat eats at 0615 (same as Dog) but up on a
bookshelf that she can reach and he can't. She's fed no more than we know
she will eat for 'breakfast' (He's on a diet and would happily eat more).
She sometimes drifts down to steal a dry kibble (oddly, he allows this with
her but no one else. She can actually push his head over and grab one and
she lets him). Daisy was totally kibble fed when we got her so we slowly
converted her to wet. Took about 2 months as we wanted no rapid shifts
while also taming down a semi-feral into a true house cat.

About noon, then get a small broth with added fat (for their coats) 'noshe'
delivered same way and come evening, 6pm they get fed again like for
morning. This time Daisy may get a *small* sprinkle of the higher quality
dry kibble (4-5 kibbles) and Cash-beagle gets wet added to his higher
quality dry.

The noon noshe is where the main interaction takes place. Daisy-cat may lap
up all of hers and leave the meat scraps (leftover small bits of fish or
chicken etc added, just a teaspoon or so for her in 3 TB broth). Cash
however will fish out the meats (1 TB for him of minced meats and he happens
to really like a green bean or so in there), lap up most of the broth (he
gets about 1/2 cup) then eat his 'treat' green bean or 2 and wander off.
Daisy comes down and laps up a bit more of his broth while he gets any meat
bits left in her bowl delivered down where he can reach it.

Works for us. I of course only get to to see the noon noshe only on
weekends. (Don is retired but I'm still a youngun and working).

Even with standard pet foods, the dog won't keel over if they get a little
cat food sometimes, and the cat won't if thery get a little dog food
sometimes. It's just not optimal long term.

Dogs do not need added Taurine so it isnt add to commercial dog foods. Cats
need it so it is added to theirs.