From the President of THe Last Resort Animal Sanctuary, Inc.

Old October 30th 04, 06:18 PM
Sunflower

wrote in message
"Sunflower" wrote:

I'm sure they appreciate a couple of phone calls asking them why this
group
with their hand out soliciting funds refuses to provide any information
about themselves, including Board meeting minutes, or financial records,
or
adoption statistics, or even their location.

What will be gained by this? Only the cats will lose in end regardless
if its a re homing shelter or a collector providing a safe haven.

Have you ever dealt with collectors before? I have. I wouldn't call what
they do "providing a safe haven" These are the folks you read about that
have a
couple of hundred animals who are poorly cared for and even sickly. A
collector, by definition, can't really be a rescue, because the animals are
overcrowded and suffering.

If you don't want to contribute money then don't. If you want to
engage in debate and challenge the OP then feel free. This however, is
stupid with perhaps consequences you didn't intend.

Not providing information on your 501 c3 is a criminal offense, not just
stupidly bad PR. If they
can't document what it is they do, then they do not deserve to enjoy that
status. You can't just become a 501 c3 because you think more people will
contribute to your cause that way, even if it is a good cause. It has
certain responsibilites. The very minimum of which are making available to
anyone who asks information about the finances of the organization as well
as statistics on how well they accomplish the mission stated in their
incorporation, which is also required to be publically available
information. If they had answered a single question about their adoption
policies, or how many animals they have, or really anything else, this
conversation would not be happening. If they can't manage the business end
of being a rescue, then it would be far better to contribute their resources
and time to another rescue that *can* manage to comply with the legal
responsibilities.

I feed a feral colony. But, I haven't incorporated myself as a 501 c3 in
order to do it. I know I don't have the patience or temperament suited to
dealing with the paperwork hassles. Instead, I volunteer with a local
Humane Society that can help me, while I help them. And, they do all of the
paperwork necessary to keep their charitible status. And far, far, more
animals are helped by me doing this than if I tried to form my own rescue
group.

-mhd.

Old October 30th 04, 09:01 PM

"Sunflower" wrote:

I feed a feral colony. But, I haven't incorporated myself as a 501 c3 in
order to do it. I know I don't have the patience or temperament suited to
dealing with the paperwork hassles. Instead, I volunteer with a local
Humane Society that can help me, while I help them. And, they do all of the
paperwork necessary to keep their charitible status. And far, far, more
animals are helped by me doing this than if I tried to form my own rescue
group.

How does ratting her out help the cats that are there now?

-mhd