MUST give away Tonkinese!

Old June 30th 04, 08:07 PM
Wendy

"Electric Nachos" buenos.dias@mother.****er wrote in message
What a horrible suggestion! Accordingly, perhaps your parents should have
killed you upon discovery of one of your flaws!!!

I think cats are about the dumbest creatures on this planet - but I would
never KILL them just because they won't go pee-pee in the cat-pot! What

kind
of human are you!?!?

Just throw the damn thing outside. CATS LIKE TO BE OUTSIDE!!!!!!!

not touching the inside outside debate with a 10 ft pole

Are you suggesting this cat be left out 24/7?

If not why do you thing putting the cat outside will stop the peeing when
she's inside?

Old June 30th 04, 08:13 PM
Wendy

"Phil" wrote in message
I would like to respond to all who responded, but given the number of

The vet did some work and detected a minor bladder infection, which was
cured with antibiotics. Had her a year and a half. Pretty much doing

this
the whole time, although more of problem later on. She is 6-1/2 years

old,
and according to the breeder would occasionally have the urination problem
with her as well. The breeder and us figured she may stop this with good
attention from us. So, problem could have existed from kittenhood. Don't
know. The litter has not been changed, and is the same as the breeder

used.
Litter box location and dual boxes have had no impact. Both are

uncovered.
We tried a covered one but that did nothing either. The primary location
for the box is a bathroom that is almost never used. The other box is in

laundry room. Since she is confined to one room now, there is just one
litter box in that room. However, food is within 10 feet of the box..

She
did urinate and poop in the same box, but occasionally will urinate
somewhere else. She even pooped once outside the box, but just 15 feet

away
from it. We tried Feliaway, but our house is decent sized and the cost of
this stuff is not cheap to use effectively. We discovered a three foot by
three foot carpeted area she urinated on (must have been more than once),
which I cleaned up, and with Feliaway applied as directed, she never
urinated there again. But, there is a LOT of house left.

Thank you for your comments. We have someone who might be interested in

the
cat. Hopefully, she can find peace and comfort there.

- Phil

I gather you knew about this problem when you got her? If so I have to give
you credit for giving it a try.

Old July 1st 04, 12:11 AM

Sunflower wrote:

No, it's reality.

What a bunch of bull****. It doesn't have to be and killing a healthy
cat that has a yet undetermined cause for her issue is WRONG.

I'm sorry if you don't
like it. THe OP wants to rehome the cat.
Period. He wasn't looking for
suggestions as to try to deal with the
problem. He "says" the vet found no
problems, and although I don't know what
types of testing the OP had done, at
this point, it doesn't matter.

Of course it matters, but you're so intent on making sure this cat is
murdered you didn't even bother to ask.

He wants the cat gone.

Maybe so, but often people are so stressed by what's happening they
don't feel they have any other choice. Often when they receive support,
feedback and advice from those of us who have actual experience in
dealing with this issue, they have hope and go on to find a SOLUTION
that doesn't involve KILLING. The whole reason "most of us," with the
obvious exception of YOU, are here is to help people and give advice on
how the cat can keep its home. This is not
rec.pets.cats-kill-the-cat-because-you-can't-bother-to-find-a-solution.
It's a rescue group, and part of that means helping people find a way to
keep their cats.

And as far as "medication"
to cure the anxiety urination issues, it
only works about 20% of the time.

More bull****. There are many medications used to deal with this issue
and 20% is not accurate for many of the ones I have experience with. FYI
the Tuft's behavior clinic reports a 90%+ success rate using Prozac.
There are other medications that are nearly as successful, and a lot of
it also depends on the cat. I have been in rescue for over 25 years and
currently have 24 cats, several of which came with urination issues. I
have also had cats in the past with same. I have had 100% success in
using medication, and have been successful using diet and supplements to
control two other cats with interstitial cystitis, which I suspect the
OP's cat may have.
I also know several people who have also had a 100% success rate using
medication, including a cat that sprayed for 6 years and was confined to
a basement for the last two years because he was destroying the house.
He was put on Prozac and has not had one single spraying incident since
and is now allowed in the rest of the house and he's been on it for over
a year now.

Yes, I
know from personal experience on that
one, as well as working with our Humane
Society.

Apparently you haven't had much, or done you homework.

There isn't one single sane person on
the planet who *wants* to live in a home
with a cat peeing all over it. Sure, we
do sometimes when we think it's a short
term issue that can be cured, but other
than making the cat live in isolation in
a room fully able to be washed down and
disinfected constantly, there has to be
some sort of progress in the behavior
for it to be at all tolerated.

For progress to be made there has to be investigation of why it happens.
Asking what has been done so far and offering ideas may help save this
cat, regardless of what the OP originally says. You want to go straight
to *killing* this cat. It's disgusting and if this is how you view
things you have ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS being in *any* aspect of rescue.

We share
our homes with animals on the
expectation that they will modify their
natural instincts somewhat to suit our
human fastidiousness.

That's completely the wrong expectation, and nobody that thinks this way
should have animals. *Intelligent* people understand that you have to
provide an environment for the cat that allows it to exhibit "natural
behaviors" in a way that allows us to coexist peacefully. That's why we
have litterboxes and scratching posts, etc. You can't force or expect a
cat to be anything other than a cat.

If the animal
can't adapt to being in a home, then all
that is left is being outside,
euthanasia, or life in a cage.
A good
death is preferable to a bad life in my
opinion and I consider a life spent in a
cage a bad life.

That's why you make the commitment to get the cat out of the cage and
into a home, not KILL it! Yes, some cats are harder to home, but it can
be done and
it's wrong to kill a cat when there are still many things to try.
Apparently you don't think so and would rather play executioner.

So the truth is, you have a unadoptible
animal to anyone who knows the story.

Not necessarily, and especially when not everything has been tried.

What is going to happen to this animal?
He'll dump it off at the shelter where
it'll be euthanized by strangers or
someone else picks the animal out not
knowing the past behavior to give a home
to and starts to experience the same
behavior, and repeats the cycle. How
cruel to the cat is that?

Or he could try medication, and try a diet to control possible
interstitial cystitis (which is VERY easy) and the cat may stop the
behavior.

Better to accept the full responsibility
of pet ownership and have the animal
euthanized than to pass the problem
along to strangers and totally
traumatize the cat in it's last moments.

Accepting full responsibility of pet ownership does not include KILLING
a healthy animal that has a once every few weeks peeing incident. A
*responsible* pet owner understands that cats don't do this for no
reason, and will ask for help trying to find a solution. *Responsible *
people don't murder animals because they can't be bothered to do a few
simple things that might very well correct the problem. THAT'S reality.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 1st 04, 01:01 AM
Phil

Yes, we knew she had urinated in inappropriate places. The breeder did not
make much of it, but it was felt this would cease if she got a better home,
lots of attention, plenty of space, very comfortable surroundings, and
quietness. She was confined to a bedroom with another cat at the breeder's
house. We tried working with the cat for a year and a half. Vet visits,
tests, FeliAway, cat box locations, number of cat boxes, etc.. Nothing has
worked.

Yes, we tried. I don't know where this cat would be had we not come along.

- Phil

Old July 1st 04, 07:16 AM
Cat Protector

I have to wonder if you even went to a vet to have this problem looked into.
I think it is terrible you think this cat is disposable. I hope this cat
gets a good home because you obviously care more about your property (which
can be cleaned or replaced) than this cat. Why is it that people like
yourself treat this cat like a beer can? This is a life we are talking
about. Would you get rid of a human child if they had a medical issue?
Though some might applaud that you are wanting to see this cat in a good
home, I have to wonder if you'll get another cat that you'll end up dumping
into a shelter or on the street because you chose not to handle your
lifelong responsibility. This cat deserves better and I hope she gets a good
and loving home because obviously her humans do not care enough to give her
the very best care. If you decide to keep her then a vet can possibly find
the problem if it is medical. It might be easily solved or it may be stress
that is causing it.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Phil" wrote in message
We have a Tonkinese female, about 6 years old, that we absolutely must get
out of the house. We want her to have a good home, but the Tonkinese

rescue
group has not been responsive, despite repeated efforts for their help.

The
cat must go. She urinates huge amounts of urine periodically, so she must
be confined where she can not destroy property. She is housed in a room

and
gets attention, but she can not be a member of this household. The vet

says
she is healthy. This last time, the cat jumped on our bed like she always
does, ambled over to us as my wife and I lay under the covers, and as she
walked across the bed, unloaded a 2 foot long mass of urine, spreading to
half a foot wide, and in a manner of minutes, soaked through a comforter,
electric blanket, two sheets, and partially into a brand new mattress.
Luckily, I saved the mattress. The cat will do these kinds of things,
within 10 feet of perfectly clean cat box. She will do it if people are
home or not. We can not establish any pattern. Typically happens once
every few weeks.

We have made the decision to relinquish ownership. She has papers. I

just
want to make sure she has a good home, that can deal with her unusual
behaviors. The cat is otherwise just fine, affectionate, playful (loves
chasing laser pointer dot, keeping away from eyes), eats well, etc.. Has
all claws, but is spayed. Tolerates our 13 year old, laid back Dalmatian,
but the cat is more fearful of her than she needs to be. The dog could

care
less about the cat.

If anyone can direct me to someone who can help with rescue, I would
appreciate it. We live in the San Francisco bay area.

Thanks,

- Phil

Old July 1st 04, 07:20 AM
Cat Protector

That is terrible that you would suggest euthanasia. Unless the cat is
terribly sick and has no chance of being saved they should not be
euthanized. This problem might be easily solved and the cat most likely can
live a long and healthy life. You also can't predict that a cat will spend
the rest of their life in a cage. Haven't you ever heard of a no-kill
shelter?

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Sunflower" wrote in message
This is not the description of a cat that is easily rehomed. I can see

why
rescue hasn't gotten back to you. Most likely given her history, she

will
be euthanized or cruelly spend the rest of her life in a small cage if

they
even take her. If you have any affection for this animal, then take her

in
to the vet yourself and have her euthanized. I understand why she can't

be
a part of your family, but no other family is going to want her either.

You
owe it to her to make sure her last moments on earth are with the family

she
knows and loves now. I know it's hard for you to euthanize her, but it's
part of the bargain you made when you gave her a home in the first place.
If you cannot provide her with a good life, at least provide her with a

good
death.