Bengals: High Maintenance, High Rewards

Old September 8th 05, 06:35 AM
Brian Link

Default Bengals: High Maintenance, High Rewards

I just felt compelled to write about how much I love our little
Bengal, Louis Scratchmo Armstrong.

He is a handful. He requires a ton of playtime, is neurotic, and has a
howl that would make a siamese tuck its tail in shame. I was down the
block, and heard his yowl echoing off of all the neighborhood homes as
he called for me.

When he first grew up, we were worried that he'd never be a cuddler.
He was just too energetic and ornery.

Now at around 3 years old, he's adapted to living with humans. As I'm
typing this in bed, he's kneaded the covers next to me, and drooled in
ecstasy as I scratched his head and patted his neck. Now he's curled
under my armpit and settling down for sleep.

For those attracted to this breed, I'd strongly suggest you google
this group for Bengal characteristics. Louis is not a little, cuddly
housecat. He shows his wild heritage in unexpected ingenuity, vast
energy, and a seeming ignorance of what moggies know instinctively
(don't eat screws or rocks, pee in your box, don't jump on the stove
with an open flame, etc).

We bought him because our high-energy Tiger (Maine-Coon-Like moggie)
lost his last companion, and needed someone to play with. Louis has
filled that role admirably, but even Tiger can't keep him occupied.

The upside is that Louis is a wonderful kitty, and you really get the
sense that you're living with a barely domesticated wild animal. He
walks differently from other cats. He needs to be up high, and is
incredibly athletic in his search for a high perch. But there's enough
domesticism in him that he will now cuddle, parade proudly around the
house with his tail held high, and play earnestly.

Don't buy a Bengal if you want a happy housecat who can live at home
while you're at work. Expect to manage them like a high-energy dog (my
common comparison is to a Dalmation or a Jack Russel Terrier). If you
can do this, though, the rewards are immense. I love our little Louis.

BLink

BLink
Old September 8th 05, 07:45 AM
FirstHit

Brian Link wrote:
[...]

How would you compare a Bengal to an Aby? They sound similar.

FirstHit

Old September 8th 05, 06:30 PM
Katy

"FirstHit" wrote

How would you compare a Bengal to an Aby? They sound similar.

Do you have an Aby? I love that breed.

Old September 8th 05, 09:21 PM
Cat Protector

Well an Aby is affectionate as far as I know. To be honest, Bengals and
Japanese Bobtails have more in common. Both can be vocal and both require
constant attention. My JB Icarus is constantly needing attention and vocal.
He also wants to be the dominant cat in the houshold. He is also
affectionate as well and constantly jumping in my lap and also likes resting
on my stomach.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Katy" wrote in message
news:1126200725.a3027f3c0bb0a4fb142cb98eaf89654f@t eranews...

"FirstHit" wrote

Old September 9th 05, 11:12 AM
FirstHit

Katy wrote:
"FirstHit" wrote

How would you compare a Bengal to an Aby? They sound similar.

Do you have an Aby? I love that breed.

I had an Aby and loved her. They sure have personality! She was hard
to contain sometimes, but I didn't mind too much. I loved her dog-like
loyalty. I was shocked once when a friend broke into my place as a
joke and that cat went into attack mode.

FirstHit

Old September 9th 05, 04:46 PM
Katy

"FirstHit" wrote in message
oups.com...

Katy wrote:
"FirstHit" wrote

How would you compare a Bengal to an Aby? They sound similar.

Do you have an Aby? I love that breed.

I had an Aby and loved her. They sure have personality! She was hard
to contain sometimes, but I didn't mind too much. I loved her dog-like
loyalty. I was shocked once when a friend broke into my place as a
joke and that cat went into attack mode.

I had never heard about their fierce protectiveness. I just think they
are really beautiful and that their history is interesting. I would love to
see photos of her if you have a web site or some scanned.

Old September 11th 05, 09:53 AM
FirstHit

Katy wrote:
I had never heard about their fierce protectiveness. I just think they
are really beautiful and that their history is interesting. I would love to
see photos of her if you have a web site or some scanned.

They have a regal, Egyptian look. But the main thing about an Aby is
its personality. They are very active, especially when young.

I just scanned a couple of pix. I have better pix, but I can't find
the album. Contact me by email and I will send you the two pix in JPG
format.

FirstHit