Bach Rescue Remedy for kitten?

Old November 13th 05, 07:50 AM
Ali-Reza Anghaie

Default Bach Rescue Remedy for kitten?

Bach's Rescue Remedy came highly recommended by two other cat owners I
know. Upon further investigation it appears the mixture is carried in
alcohol. My gut tells me any relaxing effect has to do with the alcohol
and not the flowers. All I'm looking for is a non-sedative way of
calming my eleven week old kitten before two flights. Thoughts? Is
Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali
Old November 13th 05, 10:39 AM

in the uk there is something sold to calm dogs and cats on fireworks night.
It was in the local pet shop.

http://www.petfoodstore.co.uk/acatal..._Products.html
there you go, best of luck.

Old November 13th 05, 01:39 PM
whayface

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:50:11 -0600, Ali-Reza Anghaie wrote:

Bach's Rescue Remedy came highly recommended by two other cat owners I
know. Upon further investigation it appears the mixture is carried in
alcohol. My gut tells me any relaxing effect has to do with the alcohol
and not the flowers. All I'm looking for is a non-sedative way of
calming my eleven week old kitten before two flights. Thoughts? Is
Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali

Have you thought about asking your vet about what to do or to get something safe for your
baby from the vet??

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/strays.htm

Old November 13th 05, 02:32 PM
Ali-Reza Anghaie

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav whayface wrote:
Have you thought about asking your vet about what to do or to get something safe for your
baby from the vet??

I see the vet Monday and am planning to ask but I'm afraid I'll just get
a sedative which I really want to avoid (unless, of course, it's
demonstrably safer than liquoring up kitty ;-)). -Ali
Old November 13th 05, 04:21 PM
blkcatgal

You usually mix about 5 drops of the RR into about 1 oz of spring water.
Then you would give the cat about 10 drops of that water. Or you can also
rub a drop into the inside of the ear.

But if you have any concerns, check with your vet.

Old November 14th 05, 07:32 PM
Dr.Carla,DVM

My vet mentor is educated in herbal remedies and advises "Rescue Remedy" use
in some dogs. I would suggest find a vet that uses the herbal and ask them.

Old November 15th 05, 03:18 PM
PawsForThought

Ali-Reza Anghaie wrote:
Bach's Rescue Remedy came highly recommended by two other cat owners I
know. Upon further investigation it appears the mixture is carried in
alcohol. My gut tells me any relaxing effect has to do with the alcohol
and not the flowers. All I'm looking for is a non-sedative way of
calming my eleven week old kitten before two flights. Thoughts? Is
Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali

One thing you can try is to put some rescue remedy in a spoon and let
it set out for a while. This helps dissipate the alcohol. Here are a
couple of websites you might find interesting:

http://www.petsynergy.com/flower.html#C1

http://www.catfaeries.com/

Old November 15th 05, 03:22 PM
PawsForThought

Ali-Reza Anghaie wrote:
In rec.pets.cats.health+behav whayface wrote:
Have you thought about asking your vet about what to do or to get something safe for your
baby from the vet??

I see the vet Monday and am planning to ask but I'm afraid I'll just get
a sedative which I really want to avoid (unless, of course, it's
demonstrably safer than liquoring up kitty ;-)). -Ali

I strongly recommend against using sedating drugs on your kitten. I
don't know any reputable vets that would recommend this for a kitten,
and using for purposes of sedating on an airplane. They do make flower
essences (rescue remedy) for human children that does not contain
alcohol, but rather a glycerine base.

Old November 16th 05, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav blkcatgal wrote:
You usually mix about 5 drops of the RR into about 1 oz of spring water.
Then you would give the cat about 10 drops of that water. Or you can also
rub a drop into the inside of the ear.

Rub one drop of the new diluted solution or the original strength?

But if you have any concerns, check with your vet.

She didn't really have an opinion. And I'm undecided too. Just curious.

-Ali
Old November 17th 05, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats

Ali-Reza Anghaie wrote:
Thoughts? Is
Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali

along the same lines...

I met a lady this past weekend, she has dogs.

Her vet gave her a sedative for her dog (tranquilizer of sorts)...

This lady accidently took the dogs chill pill...

by mid day..she couldn't lift her head from her desk...
She called the poison control center...they tell her...(oh it's ok,
yule be fine...blah blah)

She barely makes it home and calls the vet...the vet says...it's a
wonder that you are even alive..as

pet meds are not the same as people meds. (we know this, but you
wouldn't think so)

He told her, she had taken the equivalent of 10 sleeping pills, in the
one dog chill pill.

rec.pets: Starting A Successful Rescue Club FAQ Cheryl Minnier Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:38 AM
Rescue Remedy question Cory Cat health & behaviour 2 May 30th 04 07:40 AM
Rescue Remedy cati Cat anecdotes 13 April 5th 04 11:50 PM
Rescue Remedy [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 4 January 3rd 04 01:17 AM
Rescue Remedy or something for agitated cat? Kailey11 Cat health & behaviour 20 December 18th 03 08:46 PM