Can you save by buying Advantage flea control for dogs and using smaller dosage for cats?

Old June 7th 07, 05:50 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Garret Swayne

Default Can you save by buying Advantage flea control for dogs and using smaller dosage for cats?

I've been told Advantage Flea control has the same ingredients, whether it's
used for dogs or for cats. The only difference is that when you buy
Advantage for dogs, the measured single-application doses contain more
(because dogs are larger and require a larger dose). So if you have a
calibrated eyedropper to measure out the dosage exactly and information on
how big a dose to apply to your cat, theoretically you could buy a packaged
dose for a large dog and stretch it to several applications for your small
cat, couldn't you? Has anybody tried this, or or do you know of a site
where they tell you exactly how to do it?

-Garret Swayne
garret at garretswayne dot com

Old June 7th 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Karen R.

Garret Swayne wrote the following on 6/7/2007 12:50 PM:
I've been told Advantage Flea control has the same ingredients, whether it's
used for dogs or for cats. The only difference is that when you buy
Advantage for dogs, the measured single-application doses contain more
(because dogs are larger and require a larger dose).

I do that, but I use a medicine syringe (no needle) instead of an
eyedropper. The amounts used are so small that it has to be calibrated by
tenths of a ML. One large dog tube does 5 large cats.

I find it easier to do this, as the amount squirts down so quickly and
with more force that I can do it in the approximately 1.5 seconds I have
before the cat takes off. :-)

I don't know how it holds up to storage once opened -- I got enough cats
to use up the tube.

Karen R.
Old June 7th 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
cindys

"Karen R." wrote in message
ink.net...

I don't know how it holds up to storage once opened -- I got enough cats
to use up the tube.

-----------
Last year, we fostered a cat who arrived with fleas, so all of the (5) cats
in the family needed to be treated. The veterinarian gave me a tube of
Revolution for each cat. One of the cats was too quick for me, and I was
unable to treat her (after I had already snipped the top off the tube). I
went to try again later, and the Revolution had totally evaporated. So, I
think evaporation is the issue rather than a concern that the active
ingredient will go bad or deactivate when exposed to air.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old June 7th 07, 07:15 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ken Knecht

"Garret Swayne" wrote in
hlink.net:

I've been told Advantage Flea control has the same ingredients,
whether it's used for dogs or for cats. The only difference is that
when you buy Advantage for dogs, the measured single-application doses
contain more (because dogs are larger and require a larger dose). So
if you have a calibrated eyedropper to measure out the dosage exactly
and information on how big a dose to apply to your cat, theoretically
you could buy a packaged dose for a large dog and stretch it to
several applications for your small cat, couldn't you? Has anybody
tried this, or or do you know of a site where they tell you exactly
how to do it?

-Garret Swayne
garret at garretswayne dot com

I buy the Advantage for large dogs size on-line. I squeeze a tube into a
small glass vial. Using a graduated dropper, after shaking the vial, I
draw out 0.8 ml, and apply that to the skin on the back of the cat's
neck. Been doing this with no problems for years. The stuff lasts many
months in the capped vial.

The cat does not appreciate it and I have to hide the dropper until I
have the cat in hand.

I bought the vial and the dropper - and other neat stuff - at American
Science and Surplus on line.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Old June 7th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"cindys" wrote in message

"Karen R." wrote in message
ink.net...

I don't know how it holds up to storage once opened -- I got enough cats
to use up the tube.

-----------
Last year, we fostered a cat who arrived with fleas, so all of the (5)
cats in the family needed to be treated. The veterinarian gave me a tube
of Revolution for each cat. One of the cats was too quick for me, and I
was unable to treat her (after I had already snipped the top off the
tube). I went to try again later, and the Revolution had totally
evaporated. So, I think evaporation is the issue rather than a concern
that the active ingredient will go bad or deactivate when exposed to air.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

The lesson is: First catch the cat, then open the tube........

Old June 7th 07, 11:26 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
cindys

"William Graham" wrote in message

"cindys" wrote in message

"Karen R." wrote in message
ink.net...

I don't know how it holds up to storage once opened -- I got enough cats
to use up the tube.

-----------
Last year, we fostered a cat who arrived with fleas, so all of the (5)
cats in the family needed to be treated. The veterinarian gave me a tube
of Revolution for each cat. One of the cats was too quick for me, and I
was unable to treat her (after I had already snipped the top off the
tube). I went to try again later, and the Revolution had totally
evaporated. So, I think evaporation is the issue rather than a concern
that the active ingredient will go bad or deactivate when exposed to air.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

The lesson is: First catch the cat, then open the tube........

------------
The cat was caught, but as soon as I opened the tube, she caught a whiff of
it and went bonkers. She bit my husband (who was holding her) and ran out of
the room. (This is the first and only time the cat has ever bitten anyone).
She never did get the flea treatment (and I never saw a flea on her either).
I attribute this to the fact there were only a few fleas to begin with (and
only on the foster cat who had been kept separate from the other cats), the
other four cats were treated anyway (a couple of times each, just to be
sure), and the cat in question pretty much likes to stay in one particular
bedroom (which the foster cat did not enter). I got very lucky.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old June 8th 07, 12:32 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
-L.

Garret Swayne wrote:
I've been told Advantage Flea control has the same ingredients, whether it's
used for dogs or for cats. The only difference is that when you buy
Advantage for dogs, the measured single-application doses contain more
(because dogs are larger and require a larger dose). So if you have a
calibrated eyedropper to measure out the dosage exactly and information on
how big a dose to apply to your cat, theoretically you could buy a packaged
dose for a large dog and stretch it to several applications for your small
cat, couldn't you? Has anybody tried this, or or do you know of a site
where they tell you exactly how to do it?

Yes, you can - I do it all the time. I forget the dosage for cats,
but it's how ever much is in each tube made for cats (I think it's
0.8ml). Just check the dosage on the tube for cats, and remove that
much per cat from the larger package.

-L.

Old June 9th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Garret Swayne

Here's another question...Can you do this with Frontline Plus as well? I've
heard it's actually a better product than
Advantage, in that it works against ticks too. Can I buy the "large-dog"
product and dole out smaller "cat-sized" doses to my feline? Would anyone
know the dosage size?
-Garret

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 9th 07, 03:28 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Leanne

I have been using Frontline Plus for several years. My vet suggested that we
get the one for large dogs as it is all of the same formula. I opened our
last plastic vial this evening and filled one syringe with 2 1/2 cc and a
second to 1 1/2 cc of the liquid. I just cap them off with the plastic caps
that come with the syringes. The dosage we use is .5 cc per month. A package
of three vials for a large dog lasts a long time. if you have a large herd
would make it reasonable.

Leanne

"Garret Swayne" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Here's another question...Can you do this with Frontline Plus as well?
I've heard it's actually a better product than
Advantage, in that it works against ticks too. Can I buy the "large-dog"
product and dole out smaller "cat-sized" doses to my feline? Would anyone
know the dosage size?
-Garret

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 9th 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ted Davis

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:47:18 GMT, "Garret Swayne"
wrote:

Here's another question...Can you do this with Frontline Plus as well? I've
heard it's actually a better product than
Advantage, in that it works against ticks too. Can I buy the "large-dog"
product and dole out smaller "cat-sized" doses to my feline? Would anyone
know the dosage size?

I use Frontline Plus on my fifteen indoor/outdoor rural cats. I have
a severe tick issue due to all the wildlife and cattle in the area.
About twice a year I buy two or three six-packs of the largest dog
size from an Australian vendor (deadfleaz.com). Then I empty a tube
into a small glass bottle with a wide mouth and a tightly sealing lid.
I use 2 cc syringes to meter the doses: 0.5 cc for an average cat and
a bit more (about 0.7) for my two largest (and a bit less - maybe 0.35
or 0.4 cc for my two smallest). The biggest drawback is that the
numbers come off the syringes - I scratch the barrels at the two
dosage points and keep them visible by filling them with permanent
markers. Even counting shipping, this keeps the cost per cat per
month to around a US dollar, and keeps the fleas under almost complete
control, and the ticks to the point where for the first three weeks I
remove almost entirely dead ticks from the cats - they do bring in a
few live ones on the outside of their fur and these sometimes find me,
but I almost always feel them before they attach. Anyway, it's a good
thing that these are almost all cattle ticks, not deer ticks, even
though there is a large local deer population (even the deer have
almost exclusively cattle ticks).

I buy the bottles and syringes from http://www.sciplus.com/
(American Science and Surplus, and yes, there is a connection with
Ken's use of the same vendor).

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead