A Joke

Old October 31st 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default A Joke

Kyla =^..^= wrote:

LOL.
I'm kind of clueless when it comes to 'real' math, however,
even though my late Dad was a math teacher at the
same High School when I was there. "That' was fun...not.

Fractals are real math!

Bummer about your dad teaching at your high school.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old October 31st 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:32:35 -0700, "Kyla =^..^="
wrote:

bastXXXette
Caroline S. :

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote:

What do you put on a Fractal sandwich?
Mandlebrot-wurst

I just watched a show about Mandelbrot and fractals *last night*. That's
quite a coincidence! (Well, maybe not - did you also just watch that
show?)
It was on "Nova", a one-hour science program on public TV.

I've seen it before and IIRC, David Gilmour from Pink Floyd was playing the
music for the show, 'if' that was the same one. I love fractals, you can
really get lost in them I used to have a fractal screensaver,

Yowie responded:

(and, YAY! nerd humor! My favorite obscure nerdy joke is:
what do you get when you cross a mosquito with a mountain climber?

Nothing! You can't cross a vector with a scalar!)

LOL!!

On the other hand, a vector and a scalar can be multiplied, can't they?
The product is another vector. (Reaching back over the years, trying to
remember...) So I guess that means that when a mountain climber and a
mosquito have children together, they produce more mosquitoes?

LOL.
I'm kind of clueless when it comes to 'real' math, however,
even though my late Dad was a math teacher at the
same High School when I was there. "That' was fun...not.
High School 1960-63..boy that was light years ago

What do you get when you cross an elephant with a peanut?

Elephant peanut cosine theta.

Bud
Old October 31st 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

William Hamblen wrote:

What do you get when you cross an elephant with a peanut?

Elephant peanut cosine theta.

I don't get it... I have a feeling this is one of those surrealist
jokes and there's nothing to get. Kind of like Yowie's sig file about
canoes with wheels and pancakes and so forth.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old October 31st 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

William Hamblen wrote in
:

What do you get when you cross an elephant with a peanut?

Elephant peanut cosine theta.

groan

Wait, isn't that the dot product? (Haven't touched this stuff in about 20
years.)
Old October 31st 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Ted Davis wrote in newsan.2008.10.31.00.40.18.515000
@mst.edu:

In the context of vectors, "cross" means to compute a cross product
between two 2D vectors in three space (and no scalars). Look up "cross
product" for more detail.

I believe it's not limited to 3-space.

For some serious head-twisting, learn Maxwell's Equations. There was a
time, long ago, when I actually had my head around them. I had a t-shirt in
college with those on it. It said:

And God said:

Maxwell's Equations

(This was MIT, so everyone there would know what the shirt meant.)

Nowadays I buy most of my geek t-shirts at http://thinkgeek.com/.
Old October 31st 08, 11:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Caroline S. wrote:
Nothing! You can't cross a vector with a scalar!)

Doh!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 31st 08, 12:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Victor, your one word response almost needed a BW.

Have been here about two years and have never seen you say

DOH!

It is silly but struck me as funny somehow.

Old October 31st 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Granby wrote:
Victor, your one word response almost needed a BW.

Have been here about two years and have never seen you say

DOH!

Now picture that with a Homer Simpson voice...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 31st 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 06:18:52 +0000, ScratchMonkey wrote:

For some serious head-twisting, learn Maxwell's Equations.

I haven't even given them a serious look in ... must be at least 35 years.

In my experience, more engineers have trouble with the (mathematically)
much simpler concept of simultaneity as expounded in "On the
Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies". I once applied the concept to a
problem in synchronizing multiple video sources in different locations at
multiple target locations - I didn't have an engineering title at the
time, so the engineers didn't want to pay attention to me, even though, as
it turned out, I was the only person they knew who had even read, let
alone understood, the paper. I think it was that paper.

For the benefit of those who have been seriously out-nerded here, "On the
Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" (published by Albert Einstein in 1905 as
"Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter Körper" in "Annalen der Physik" is the paper
that gave us the special theory of relativity. It is extremely important,
but seldom read today. It reconciles Maxwell's equations for electricity
and magnetism with the laws of mechanics. Maxwell's equations created and
explained the concept of electomagnatism (the wave nature of EM, anyway)
and are the foundation of our understanding of the wave nature of light,
radio waves, X-rays, etc. They involve vectors and partial derivatives,
and date from 1861.

Cats have their own notions of space and time and often ignore the laws of
physics as described in such papers.

--
T.E.D. )

OT JOKE OF THE DAY Matthew Cat health & behaviour 2 April 27th 07 10:58 PM
Cat joke Karen Cat anecdotes 2 October 6th 06 10:31 PM
Very bad joke Yowie Cat anecdotes 6 June 16th 05 08:59 PM
OT ANOTHER Joke Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 1 June 10th 05 07:40 PM