Intruder in the night

Old November 3rd 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default Intruder in the night

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 13:16:30 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

We Googled rabies and learned the only place where rabies doesn't
exist is in the arctic

There is no rabies in the UK.

Well, not much. Somebody caught it a year or two ago when exploring a
bat-filled cave in Scotland.

Good point. Since rabies is only contagious to mammals, most infected
animals can't make it across the channel. However, bats can fly over
from Europe. There would also be a small risk of rats or mice on board
ships carrying rabies into Britain (catching rabies from rats or mice is
rare, but not unknown).

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old November 3rd 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 3, 3:57�am, "Adrian" wrote:
MLB wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message

Are you able to tell if Boyfriend got any wounds?

I can't see any.

�Over here we would be wondering about rabies.

Fortunately this is something I don't have to worry about. �There is
no rabies in the UK.

Sorry that you had such a mess to clean up.

Took me most of the morning. �Ah well. �It doesn't really matter now.
It looked like my kitchen had been burgled by someone with a faeces
fetish. All up the walls too..

Tweed

We Googled rabies and learned the only place where rabies doesn't
exist is in the artic MLB

There is no rabies in the UK.
Cats leave pawprints on your hearthttp://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk- Hide quoted text -

And that is a very fortunate thing. Yoda almost died from a rabies
vaccination in 2000. He has not gotten
another one since, and won't, law or no law. The vet who treated him
at the time is the same vet who did his
eye surgery last year. Normally they require any animal they treat or
board to be vaccinated. The vet waived
this for us.
My daughter's cat Orion developed a cancerous sarcoma from his rabies
vax about a year ago. The cancer had spread "fingers' down his back
and sides making it impossible to remove. He is doing good right now

Sherry

Sherry

Old November 3rd 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl P. wrote:

I almost hope Ginger does come back, and is taken to TED, or to a
charity that will do the deed.

I wonder, if Tweed were to take him to be neutered, kept him isolated for
a day or so until he's all recovered, and then just let him go back home,
would his humans even notice that anything has changed, physically?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old November 4th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On 03 Nov 2008 23:31:23 GMT, wrote:

Adrian wrote:

snip
When I had Shadow neatered, a year before he moved in, I let him go as soon
as he got back from the vet. As he was still semi-feral at the time I
thought that was the kindest thing to do.

Meaning, a (male) cat can heal from neutering pretty quickly? So she
wouldn't even have to keep him quiet for a day or two? That would be even
easier.

Aren't you happy we're making plans for you, Tweed?

Rocky had a terrible time when I had him neutered - not from the
neutering itself but from the logistics. His neutering was being done
at a non profit clinic, which normally only took the cat the morning
of the surgery and discharged them the same day. IIRC, there were only
a couple days each week when they did cats. It's a long story, so I'll
just say that his telepathy told him to hide, and he missed the first
couple appointments. Finally I convinced them to let me bring him in
whenever I could catch him, and they'd board him until the day of the
surgery. Since I wasn't sure he wouldn't do a disappearing act
afterwards, they agreed to keep him after the surgery until he was
eating, drinking, and using the box normally. Rocky was not the least
bit agreeable to the plan. He ended up spending three nights there.
When I brought him home two days after the surgery he still wasn't
eating or drinking anything, and had used the box at all since his
arrival (probably the first time he had even seen a litter box was at
this clinic).

Finally they told me that, being semi-feral, he might continue to
refuse to do what we wanted, and the best thing was to being him home
and see what happened. When I got him home he immediately went and
took a long drink. Then he went to the door and wanted OUT. I took him
to the litter box - he went back to the door and demanded OUT. I took
him some food, he ignored it and demanded OUT Now. Finally, after
several cycles of that, I opened the door and let him out - thinking
he might disappear, never to be seen again. I stood on the patio and
watched him jump the chain link fence next door and immediately squat
down to relieve the built up pressure of days without going to the
bathroom. Once that was taken care of, he jumped the fence, came
running up to me and on through the open door, took another drink and
proceeded to empty the food bowl.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old November 4th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Nov 3, 8:28*pm, Steve Touchstone
wrote:
On 03 Nov 2008 23:31:23 GMT, wrote:

Finally, after
several cycles of that, I opened the door and let him out - thinking
he might disappear, never to be seen again. I stood on the patio and
watched him jump the chain link fence next door and immediately squat
down to relieve the built up pressure of days without going to the
bathroom. Once that was taken care of, he jumped the fence, came
running up to me and on through the open door, took another drink and
proceeded to empty the food bowl.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
and Rocky (RB)

lol, what a good kitty Rocky was, he took his nasty business into the
neighbor's yard. Don't want to mess up *my* yard. I remember when
Sam spent the weekend at the emergency vet after his first asthma
attack. They had him two days and he hadn't had a bowel movement.
They had tried everything, including laxatives. Finally they sent him
home and told me to keep an eye on him and if he didn't use the box
soon I should take him to our regular vet. I let him out of the
carrier and he ran to the litterbox and let loose with two days worth
of solid elimination. He simply did not want to go in a strange
place.

Julie
Julie
Old November 4th 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

yeah, can't blame them for wanting to wait to get home to use their
own toilet - just wish they knew holding it in meant they a longer
stay at TED. Rocky never liked using the litter box, he much preferred
going in the OUT. He did eventually learn to use it during the night
and when it was cold or wet in the OUT

Little Bit, otoh, when I let her stay out during the day, used to hold
it in until I got home and make a dash for the box as soon as she got
inside.
Old November 4th 08, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Adrian wrote:

[...]

Shadow still refuses to use the litter box, though now instead of going
straight out through the cat flap he demands to have the door opened if
there is a hoomin about.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Ticking intruder Marina Cat anecdotes 8 May 18th 08 04:29 PM
Trudi the intruder Stormmee Cat anecdotes 10 December 16th 06 10:23 PM
Sunday night was biff night Helen Wheels Cat anecdotes 8 July 8th 05 04:37 AM
Intruder alert! jemifur Cat anecdotes 10 November 11th 04 12:23 AM