[OT but important] Warning about postcard virus

Old February 4th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default [OT but important] Warning about postcard virus

Watch out, guys. This is the real thing!

I received a message today warning about a virus distributed when someone
opens a "postcard" that supposedly was sent by a friend. I just checked
this out on snopes.com. The virus is real, and it's destructive.

The subject line varies and does NOT always the word postcard. Examples
provided by snopes include: "You've received a Hallmark E-Card," "You've
received a postcard from a family member," "Colleague sent you a postcard
from egreetings.com," "School friend sent you an ecard from postcards.org,"
"Birthday e-card," etc.

Many of the malicious messages imitate messages from legitimate sites, but
the link will actually point to servers containing malware. The messages
may also appear to come from friends and relatives you recognize because the
names have been "harvested."

Snopes recommends (a recommendation that many computer sites say should be
standard) that we *never* click on links contained within e-card
notification e-mails. Instead, go directly to the web site of the card
company, find the card pickup page within that site, and enter the ID code
that was included in the e-mail. If the message was a fake, you simply
won't get a card -- and that's much better than getting a computer virus.

Note: I extracted most of this from snopes, which is the source I rely on
most often for checking out these warnings. Many/most of the warnings are
false, but this one is correct. If you want to read about it for yourself,
go to www.snopes.com, and type "postcard virus" into the search box. For
obvious reasons, I am not simply including the link to the site this time.

MaryL

Old February 4th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

MaryL wrote:
[...]

I've had dozens of those e-mails over the last few months, I just delete
them unopened.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old February 4th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
MaryL wrote:
Watch out, guys. This is the real thing!

I received a message today warning about a virus distributed when
someone opens a "postcard" that supposedly was sent by a friend. I
just checked this out on snopes.com. The virus is real, and it's
destructive.

snip

MaryL

I've had dozens of those e-mails over the last few months, I just delete
them unopened.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Yes, that's usually best. However, my sister and a couple of friends
sometimes send e-greetings for events such as birthdays. I go to the source
(as recommended by snopes) instead of just clicking on them to open.
However, I have now gotten to where I usually just delete messages that
include links to jokes, pictures, etc. I have sent a number of them myself
but have decided just to discontinue that. (An obvious exception would be
*.jpgs that are attachments for personal photos -- but those are not the
problems.)

MaryL

Old February 4th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:
Watch out, guys. This is the real thing!

I received a message today warning about a virus distributed when
someone opens a "postcard" that supposedly was sent by a friend. I just
checked this out on snopes.com. The virus is real, and it's destructive.

The subject line varies and does NOT always the word postcard. Examples
provided by snopes include: "You've received a Hallmark E-Card," "You've
received a postcard from a family member," "Colleague sent you a
postcard from egreetings.com," "School friend sent you an ecard from
postcards.org," "Birthday e-card," etc.

Thanks, Mary. That's why I NEVER open e-cards! If I've
missed any actually from friends, tough! What was once a
pleasant gesture (in the early days of the internet) has
become too often a "weapon" in the hands of hackers.
Old February 4th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Adrian wrote:

MaryL wrote:
Note: I extracted most of this from snopes, which is the source I
rely on most often for checking out these warnings. Many/most of the
warnings are false, but this one is correct. If you want to read
about it for yourself, go to www.snopes.com, and type "postcard
virus" into the search box. For obvious reasons, I am not simply
including the link to the site this time.
MaryL

I've had dozens of those e-mails over the last few months, I just delete
them unopened.

Earthlink's Spamcatcher keeps most such stuff out of my
In-box, fortunately - even legitimate messages can be
examined on their "webmail" site before I actually download
anything to my computer.
Old February 5th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

Thank you SO much for the info..
I will never send someone a e-card again..too bad...so sad
PUUrs
Kyla