(OT) Going on a Ghost Tour and to the Beach!

Old September 12th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Going on a Ghost Tour and to the Beach!

John will be here on the 23rd for a visit of as yet undetermined length.
One of the things we have planned is to go into Savannah, Georgia, which is
the largest big city nearby. We're going to take a ghost tour. There are
lots of "ghost tours" since Savannah is considered one of the most haunted
cities in the U.S. But this one is a walking tour, called the 'Ghost Talk,
Ghost Walk'. It doesn't focus on a single house like so many of the tours
I found available seem to do. All the reviews I read say this is a very
nice walking tour with guides who are very knowledgeable about Savannah
history and the ghostly legends. This should be fun!!

And his birthday is in October. He's never seen the ocean. I promised to
take him to Hunting Island State Park so he can see the Atlantic Ocean for
his birthday There's a lighthouse there, the only one in South Carolina
still open to the public. It was built in 1859. It was specifically
designed so it could be easily disassembled and moved if need be. These
forward-thinkers realized soil erosion on the island might present a real
problem. Sure enough, the lighthouse was dissadembled in 1889 and
reassembled intact further away from the shore. (The U.S. Parks Service
predicts it will need to be moved again again in 2010.)

OB Cats: Persia is in the sun chattering at the carolina wrens, chicadees
and tufted titmice that are coming to my bird feeder

Jill

Old September 12th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a wonderful time-- there is so much fascinating history in those
coastal areas. Have a blast!

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old September 12th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 9:08 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
And his birthday is in October. He's never seen the ocean. I promised to
take him to Hunting Island State Park so he can see the Atlantic Ocean for
his birthday There's a lighthouse there, the only one in South Carolina
still open to the public. It was built in 1859. It was specifically
designed so it could be easily disassembled and moved if need be. These
forward-thinkers realized soil erosion on the island might present a real
problem. Sure enough, the lighthouse was dissadembled in 1889 and
reassembled intact further away from the shore. (The U.S. Parks Service
predicts it will need to be moved again again in 2010.)

OB Cats: Persia is in the sun chattering at the carolina wrens, chicadees
and tufted titmice that are coming to my bird feeder

Jill

i am glad you are getting to see each other again. FGS take that man
to the
beach. Anyone who thinks lakes, no matter how large, even with
beaches, are
the same thing as the ocean has a big whoop in store for them.

Yeah, he grew up in upstate NY so he's used to "lake beaches". Not the same
thing at all! Me, I've seen oceans and beaches all over the world. I
figure we'll pack some snacks and have a picnic. We can pretend we're
actually going to walk up the 167 steps in the light house. LOL

Enjoy your
time together, ok? Savannah appears to be a romantic city...all that
hanging moss.

No need to go to Savannah for that. Spanish moss is all over the place down
here. (Oddly enough, it's related to pineapple.) There are also ruins on
the island where I live. Back in the 1700's this was an indigo and cotton
plantation. There's a family cemetery, ruins of the plantation house, the
kitchen (they were always separate from the house back then), a dairy and
the slave quarters. He's fascinated by the history, as am I.

I wish Persia could chow down on a bird for once. But like the tv ads
about meth,
that could be habit-forming.....sorry. She *is* a cat, and knows
they're "snacks".

It's a good thing she didn't develop a taste for birds, considering when she
came to live with me I had two parakeets. And then later Peaches the
lovebird! She definitely knows the difference between outdoor birds and
indoor pets, though.

Jill

Old September 13th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"hopitus" wrote in message
[...]

Apparently that's a matter of opinion. A relative of ours, who had lived in
Chicago all of her life, came to California on a visit when she was in her
90s. Thinking she was giving her a special treat, my mother took her to,
and drove along, the Pacific Coast Highway. When she saw the ocean, Aunt
Maud said, "Hmph! Looks just like Lake Michigan." However, she was awed by
the 'high cliffs' along that highway, in spite of the fact that I doubt any
of them is more than 100 feet high.

Joy

Old September 13th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 16:33:30 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

Apparently that's a matter of opinion. A relative of ours, who had lived in
Chicago all of her life, came to California on a visit when she was in her
90s. Thinking she was giving her a special treat, my mother took her to,
and drove along, the Pacific Coast Highway. When she saw the ocean, Aunt
Maud said, "Hmph! Looks just like Lake Michigan." However, she was awed by
the 'high cliffs' along that highway, in spite of the fact that I doubt any
of them is more than 100 feet high.

Most of Illinois is pretty flat. I once was given directions to turn
at the road past the hill. I drove along thinking "what hill"? After
turning back when it became obvious I had gone too far I discovered a
barely perceptible rise that was the hill.

Bud