Portable outdoor cat enclosure

Old January 6th 05, 03:27 PM
Camilla Cracchiolo

Default Portable outdoor cat enclosure

I recently saw an ad for a 10 ft. outdoor enclosure for cats. I live
in an apartment building which has a courtyard all the apartments look
out on.

This thing is made of green "rip stop" mesh and has stakes to anchor
it securely into the ground.

My cat was outdoors for several weeks before we found her. This is a
*bad* neighborhood for cats, constantly killed by cars. So we keep
her strictly inside but she wants to go out. Plus the neighborhood
kids are now friends with her (We got to be a regular gathering spot
for kids when we had our two old cats that recently died. "Can we
come in and see the cats??" a constant request.)

I was thinking this thing might be a compromise that would let her
enjoy some time outside and would let the kids play with her. But I'm
worried she'll get wanderlust. Not to mention that I don't know how
sturdy this thing is. She's a Houdini of a cat. Could another cat
bite her or attack her through this thing?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Camilla Cracchiolo
Registered Nurse
Los Angeles, California

webpage temporarily down
Old January 6th 05, 03:56 PM
Phil P.

"Camilla Cracchiolo" wrote in message
news

[...]

I don't think so -- providing the netting is fairly taut.

I'd make sure the netting covered the ground, too so the cat can't squeeze
out between the sides and the ground.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/670...?promo=xsells#

Phil

Old January 6th 05, 06:09 PM
Margaret

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:56:12 -0500, Phil P. wrote:

[...]

I don't know that product, but we once made a cat run about 10' square using
chicken wire. We put it up kind of loose and let it kind of flop back
inwards at the top. The cats wouldn't climb it because it was too unsteady.

/snip/

I'd make sure the netting covered the ground, too so the cat can't squeeze
out between the sides and the ground.

Yes. I'd run some mesh horizontally along the bottom, buried under a few
inches of soil or turf.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/670...?promo=xsells#

Good luck,
Margaret
Old January 6th 05, 10:44 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav.] On 2005-01-06,
Camilla Cracchiolo penned:

I recently saw an ad for a 10 ft. outdoor enclosure for cats. I live in an
apartment building which has a courtyard all the apartments look out on.

[snip]

Anyone have experience with this?

Not I, but I'd check with my landlord before buying it, just in case they
didn't like it for some reason.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch