OT The bears are awake

Old March 31st 15, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default OT The bears are awake

The Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:04:47 -0700, Joy wrote:

We can't compete with Australia when it comes to dangerous critters,
though. They have 9 of the 10 deadliest snakes, as well as crocodiles,
cane toads, redback spiders and poisonous jellyfish, among other things.

And DON'T forget platypuses!

Are they dangerous? (I've never seen one, so have no idea of their size
or aggressiveness.)
Old March 31st 15, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

We can't compete with Australia when it comes to dangerous
critters, though. They have 9 of the 10 deadliest snakes,
as well as crocodiles, cane toads, redback spiders and
poisonous jellyfish, among other things.

And DON'T forget platypuses!

Are they dangerous? (I've never seen one, so have no idea of their
size or aggressiveness.)

They're about twice the size of a cat and they live in
burrows in streambanks. They just like to be left alone.

You might have a different perspective if you were a fish.

(BTW, you're all forgetting the blue-ringed octopus).

New Zealand doesn't have much in the poisonous-animal department
(one middling-poisonous spider), but makes up for it in plants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urtica_ferox (this has been known
to kill horses that strayed into a patch of it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaka_%28tree%29 (poisoning from
that makes strychnine seem like an easy way to go)

Old March 31st 15, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/31/2015 12:38 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

The Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:04:47 -0700, Joy wrote:

We can't compete with Australia when it comes to dangerous critters,
though. They have 9 of the 10 deadliest snakes, as well as
crocodiles, cane toads, redback spiders and poisonous jellyfish,
among other things.

And DON'T forget platypuses!

Are they dangerous? (I've never seen one, so have no idea of their size
or aggressiveness.)

They have claws, and the male has venom in the claws (as I now know),
but they are very shy. I've been to Australia six times and I've never
seen a platypus. One can see most of the animals, even shy ones, in the
many wild animal parks there, but the platypuses always say in hiding.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old March 31st 15, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

The Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:04:47 -0700, Joy wrote:

We can't compete with Australia when it comes to dangerous critters,
though. They have 9 of the 10 deadliest snakes, as well as
crocodiles, cane toads, redback spiders and poisonous jellyfish,
among other things.

And DON'T forget platypuses!

Are they dangerous? (I've never seen one, so have no idea of their size
or aggressiveness.)

They have claws, and the male has venom in the claws (as I now know),
but they are very shy. I've been to Australia six times and I've never
seen a platypus. One can see most of the animals, even shy ones, in the
many wild animal parks there, but the platypuses always say in hiding.

Joy

I've never been to Australia but the wombat is an interesting Australian
critter.

http://tinyurl.com/njw5unz

John and I went to the zoo in Memphis and one of the zoo keepers was
feeding a wombat. They were running around playing with each other.
She kept giving it scritches, like you would a cat. It would chase her
around and she'd give it more scritches. It was fun to watch. I don't
think I'd want a wombat in my house though.

Jill
Old April 1st 15, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:04:47 -0700, Joy wrote:

On 3/29/2015 11:57 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:37:50 -0700, Joy wrote:

A year or two ago someone about 25 or 30 miles from me had a bear in
their hot tub. I've never seen one in the wild, except when I was on a
tour in Alaska.

We used to have bears in San Diego county, but it's been
MANY years since I've heard of a sighting here.

But we have snakes, spiders, mountain lions, coyotes,
and probably some other dangerous things (other than
people).

We can't compete with Australia when it comes to dangerous critters,
though. They have 9 of the 10 deadliest snakes, as well as crocodiles,
cane toads, redback spiders and poisonous jellyfish, among other things.

And DON'T forget platypuses!

Exactly! You wouldn't think such a creature could be harmful but the males
have venomous spurs
http://www.platypus.asn.au/earning_their_spurs.html

Interesting eh?

Tweed

---

Old April 1st 15, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
On 3/29/2015 11:31 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
"Mike Mayers" wrote in message
This morning a neighbor was walking his dogs and saw a bear walking down
my driveway. I have taken my seed feeder in which will spoil Cotton's
"Tv".

Boyfie says No, he does not do bears. He does foxes.\ |He never saw a
bear
in his life.

When my mother lived in Alaska, she had a little toy poodle. She was out
walking the dog one day when she saw a man in a truck parked on the other
side of the street, a little way ahead of where she was walking. He was
waving his arms at her. She waved back, thinking it was somebody she knew
but couldn't recognize from that distance. When she was even with him,
she saw that she didn't know him. He said, "There was a big. black.
bear! It crossed the road right behind you. Her toy poodle hadn't seen
any bear.

Oh yes he did. Poodles are not the bravest dogs in the world and they don't
like to fight. Lennie is a miniature poodle so a size above your mother's
dog. He sees everything when we are out and about walking, but if it is a
dog that looks like it might be aggressive, he just slides his eyes sideways
and pretends he hasn't seen it. Of course he's seen it. Your mom's toy
poodle saw the bear too.
Tweed

Old April 1st 15, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Mike Mayers" wrote in message
This morning a neighbor was walking his dogs and saw a bear walking
down my driveway. I have taken my seed feeder in which will spoil
Cotton's "Tv".

OMG. Tbh, I don't know how you deal with your wildlife in the USA. You
have so many dangerous things. We have one venomous snake. I've never
seen one. It's not a good idea to get in the way of a red deer stag in
the rut here but otherwise we are safe. I know enough to not get killed
by a male red deer that is rutting./ run for your life if he come
towards you.

I've never seen a adder either and we don't get many deer around here in
Lye, strutting stags or any other. I cannot imagine what it must be like
to have bears walking down your drive.

Judith

--

I'd be upstairs immediately and take Boyfie with me.

Old April 1st 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Of course she did. I thought it was Americans who weren't supposed to
understand irony.
Old April 1st 15, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:37:50 -0700, Joy wrote:

A year or two ago someone about 25 or 30 miles from me had a bear in
their hot tub. I've never seen one in the wild, except when I was on a
tour in Alaska.

We used to have bears in San Diego county, but it's been
MANY years since I've heard of a sighting here.

But we have snakes, spiders, mountain lions, coyotes,
and probably some other dangerous things (other than
people).

And I am glad that I do not have to worry about them myself.