Stray kitten - feed or ignore?

Old June 12th 04, 07:15 AM
Ivanna

"Mary"...
Suggestions?

I would trap her using a hav-a-hart trap. You can rent one from a

hardware,
feed store or animal shelter for $3-5. If she's a small kitten, you can

just
use a squirrel trap. Use stinky wet cat food for bait. This is what the

trap
looks like http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cat...rescue_kit.htm

You
don't need the kit. Some vets spay feral cats for free. I would vaccinate

her
also. I would then contact some rescue groups to see if you can find her a
home. If everyone is full you can at least give her a little cat igloo

outside
to sleep in and leave some food for her. Thanks so much for caring for

her. You
will be saving yourself a lot of headaches with tons of kittens showing up

at
your door.

Ok, I will have to locate a trap, as all of you have suggested. I'm not
sure if the kitten was dumped or if the mom was a stray. The kitten doesn't
seem to trust people and runs into the woods at the back of our yard if
anyone approaches. I just hope to catch the kitten and not the squirrels,
chipmunks, and bunnies that are frolicking around the yard. TONS of
kittens!?!

The nearby city has a humane society, but I believe that they kill animals
that are not claimed. It would have no chance if they believe it is feral.
If I catch it, I will find a no kill shelter or take it to the vet myself.
I can't handle feeding it and then taking it in to put to sleep/death at the
shelter. At least if it gets fixed, it won't produce more animals that are
just out there starving, getting sick, and getting run over by cars.
Thanks for the link to the "havahart" trap.

Old June 12th 04, 07:16 AM
Ivanna

"JoJo"
That is unless you wish to keep him, but I've got a thing about keeping

cats
outdoors, which I believe they are safer there - my opinion only. I
understand not an option for you since you are allergic.

I would love to have any pets, but unfortunately my allergies to kitties are
pretty severe. I envy the people who can have any cat or dog they would
like in their home.
Thanks for the response JoJo.

Old June 12th 04, 07:17 AM
Ivanna

"MaryL"
Please trap the kitten and take her to a vet to be spayed and treated (as
needed) for worms, ear mites, etc. Continue to feed the poor little

thing.
If at all possible, find someone who will adopt her and give her a good
(indoor) home.

I will do what I can. Thanks for the reply.

Old June 12th 04, 07:21 AM
Ivanna

"Rhonda"

Finding another home would be great, but if you can't -- there are many
spay and release programs.

So she would be spayed and then released back out to the wild or to me? I
have never heard of that.

I would keep feeding her, at any rate. I just can't stand to see a cat
starve, and it sounds like you can't either!

Lol, I carried a caterpillery thing out of the house this morning rather
than flush it! If she keeps visiting, she will be eating.

Old June 12th 04, 07:28 AM
Rhonda

Hello Ivanna,

The spay and release programs are for the homeless outdoor kitties.
Usually the programs want to make sure someone is at least feeding the
cat or cats, then they will trap them, spay them, then release them back
outside in the same area.

They work with feral colonies, but some work with individuals like you
with soft hearts. We're in the Seattle area, and there are a couple of
groups that do it here.

Rhonda

PS -- I carry spiders outside in a glass!

Old June 13th 04, 03:38 AM
JoJo

Ivanna,

Don't know why I did not think of this earlier - go to www.spayusa.org - I
believe they will give you links to shelters in your area that offer reduced
fee spaying programs. They have something on main page, half way down called
Pets911, type in your zip and it will tell you where you can get low cost
spay/neuter.

Best of like and you're not alone - I would be feeding too! Although you
got me on the bug - sorry no happy endings for bugs here - yuck! Creepy
crawlies don't need to be seen
"Ivanna" wrote in message
om...
Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It

appeared
very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.

My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to

cats
and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
Suggestions?

Another kitten question (sorry) Priscilla Ballou Cat health & behaviour 3 November 12th 04 01:39 PM
Kitten, Fleas, Ear Mites....or both!?! Gary Cat health & behaviour 20 October 29th 04 09:46 PM
Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM
Flea Dip for 7-week-old kitten Sandra Loosemore Cat health & behaviour 29 July 30th 03 05:12 AM