A Lion or Just Lyin'?

Old May 9th 04, 05:49 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

Default A Lion or Just Lyin'?

For about a week now, we've had stories in my area (Columbus, Ohio),
of numerous sightings of a lion wandering around the edges of the
city! Although officers and the Humane Society have been called out
many times, no one has yet to find the lion. No one knows whether
s/he is real, or if we're having a mass hallucination here, or if some
folks are just having fun pulling some humans' legs. I'll tell you
one thing, though: if I see a lion in my backyard, I'm going to RUN
inside and bolt my doors!

Ginger-lyn

Old May 9th 04, 06:42 PM
MaryL

"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message
For about a week now, we've had stories in my area (Columbus, Ohio),
of numerous sightings of a lion wandering around the edges of the
city! Although officers and the Humane Society have been called out
many times, no one has yet to find the lion. No one knows whether
s/he is real, or if we're having a mass hallucination here, or if some
folks are just having fun pulling some humans' legs. I'll tell you
one thing, though: if I see a lion in my backyard, I'm going to RUN
inside and bolt my doors!

Ginger-lyn

Years ago, I was visiting my parents in northeast Ohio. As I was talking on
the phone, I looked out the window and saw a bear casually ambling by, just
a few feet beside the house. I called around, and no one would believe me.
At that time, the general concensus was that there were "no bears in Ohio"
anymore. Well, people believed me a few days later when the bear showed up
on a golf course. Then animal protection got involved and tried to hunt the
bear with a tranquilizer gun so they could return it to a more appropriate
environment. Unfortunately, it was killed on the road before that could be
accomplished. On a somewhat frightening note, we had a building were we
stored wood for the fireplace, and we went in an out to gather wood
throughout the winter. We later found signs that led us to believe the bear
had spent the winter hibernating there. There were piles of *very large*
feces right behind the wood piles that we had been collecting wood from!

It was after that that I began to read the theory that bears had crossed
from Pennsylvania to Ohio when the Ohio River froze that winter (a
particularly long and cold winter that year). Personally, I suspect that
there always were a few remaining bears in Ohio. In the case of the lion
you described, if it does exist (which certainly could be true), I would
suspect it escaped or was released from a private individual's care or even
a private "zoo."

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old May 9th 04, 06:56 PM
Jo Firey

"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message
For about a week now, we've had stories in my area (Columbus, Ohio),
of numerous sightings of a lion wandering around the edges of the
city! Although officers and the Humane Society have been called out
many times, no one has yet to find the lion. No one knows whether
s/he is real, or if we're having a mass hallucination here, or if some
folks are just having fun pulling some humans' legs. I'll tell you
one thing, though: if I see a lion in my backyard, I'm going to RUN
inside and bolt my doors!

Ginger-lyn

Well depends, if lion means African or Asian lion, seems most unlikely. If
lion means Mountain Lion, aka, cougar, catamount, wildcat, bobcat etc. I
wouldn't be surprised.

There are more of them than ever in the wild and they are starting to get
pushy in trying to take back their former habitat.

Jo

Old May 9th 04, 07:06 PM
MaryL

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

[...]

I didn't think of that distinction when I read Ginger-lyn's message. I
immediately jumped to the conclusion (possibly erroneous) that she was
referring to an African lion. There are bobcats in Ohio, and (as you said)
wildlife often makes its way into more urban settings.

MaryL

Old May 9th 04, 07:30 PM
jmcquown

MaryL wrote:
"Jo Firey" wrote in message

[...]

This reminds me of a traffic report I heard while driving to work not long
ago "... there is a peacock in the middle of [X] road. The police are on
the scene trying to get it to move but for now it seems to be fanning out
its tail and refusing to budge Take an alternate route."

Peacocks are not native to west Tennessee and the road in question was
nowhere near the Zoo so where it came from is anyones guess. I never did
hear a follow-up report.

Jill