Penelope Marie Shirk RB (long)

Old May 8th 04, 10:02 PM
Tanada

Default Penelope Marie Shirk RB (long)

Miss Penelope Marie Shirk died early this morning from her Leukemia.
She was about four years old and should have lived to be more than twenty.

For those who are unfamiliar with Penny's story. We found her shivering
and starving on the wood pile stacked on our front patio in September
2001. A dilute calico, she looked ragged and messy, each color of fur
was a different length and texture. We didn't think that she'd make it,
but with a lot of babying and TLC she started gaining weight, a lot of it.

Her babies were born on October 11, 2001. Penny chose to have them
under a corner stand in the living room where Mike was laying on a sofa
while recovering from a cold. Mike was honored that Penny trusted him
that much and always felt very protective towards Penny and her kittens,
especially Pinky, the first kitten he'd ever seen born. Pinky, was white
with yellow siamese markings, followed by Brekka (a brown tabby), Lessa
(a gray tabby), and Midnight Louise (a black with faint charcoal tabby
markings).

Penny was a great meowmie. She protected the kittens from everyone, but
let Rob and I kitten sit whenever she wanted a bit of time to herself.
As the kittens grew, she gradually let all of the family members take
part in their care and upbringing, except for Pine Cone, whom she
regarded as a BAD CAT and would attack whenever he came within five feet
of a kitten. I can honestly say that Penny was the only cat that Pine
Cone had a healthy respect for and left alone.

Penny's kitten period was a mercifully short and memorable time for us
all. They were adopted out through "The Haven" a local no-kill animal
shelter and sanctuary, that we volunteered at. We brought them in on a
Saturday morning and Midnight Louise was adopted before 2:00 pm that
afternoon. Penny came home with us.

The Haven sponsers a free kitten check. It was discovered at that those
kitten checks that two of the kittens tested positive for Feline
Leukemia. Penny also tested positive. We didn't have the money to test
all of the cats, but the members of this group, lead by Pam Hazelton
(among others) donated enough money to test all of the cats (all
negative, thank Bast) and put money in Penny's doctor's fund. Over the
following years those funds, plus whatever I could add to the fund paid
for Penny's TED visits, shots, and even took care of a stray calico that
needed help with excess fleas and a well check visit before going to her
new home. In other words, Penny was the second benefactor (the first
was Waffles SFAIK) of the generosity and love of this group. That
generosity is going on to this day with the case of Grayness. I know
I've said thanks to you all, but I can never say it enough.

Penny, freed of her burden as meowmie and protector of kitten morals,
took into the singles life with a vengeance. She made up with Pine Cone
and the two of them would race through the house, terrorize the older
cats, and lead Merlin into adventures his poor gentle soul never thought
of. Penny and Pine Cone had a great time.

Penny was a love sponge. She loved to snuggle against us with her head
tucked in either our elbow or arm pit, while we stroked and scritched
her. Her fur grew in and smoothed out into luxuriant swaths of blended
colors. There was usually a confused look in her eyes, like she
couldn't understand why anyone would want to take her in.

She loved being part of whatever we did and was my most dedicated
computer cat. She often snuggled in my left arm while I typed slowly
with my right hand. I'm ashamed to admit that I often found this a
nuisance and would put her down after a while. Penny didn't seem to
mind though. She was patient with us lesser beings. She had enough
love to go around.

When Rob's parents were visiting after his brain surgery, Penny decided
that Rob's mom needed her and spent an entire afternoon on Mom's lap
loving and getting love. Like all of our animals, Penny adored her.
She wasn't as thrilled with males, except for Rob and Adam, until he
insulted her and played too rough.

Things continued on in this manner even as more cats came and went in
our house. We adopted out a bunch of cats, took in four more, and lost
Rascal, a cranky old Tabby that didn't appreciate the youngsters senses
of humor. Penny and Pine Cone had a ball. They taught the youngsters
how not to behave and had fun doing it.

This spring we noticed a difference in Penny. She slowed down, wasn't
interested in playing with the rest of the cats and just wanted to rest.
In the last couple of weeks, she ate, but was still losing weight. A
trip to TED confirmed what we'd expected, the Leukemia was finally
winning.

Last night Penny was panting a little, but didn't seem in pain. I told
her that we love her and that it was ok to go. She took my words to
heart and waited until after Rob went to sleep at 3 am before leaving
us. I will miss my sweet like Pennepede. She was always there when I
needed her, understood our moods and was willing to give us stupid
hoomins lessons in life and love.

Penelope Marie Shirk 2001-2004 a short life and, we hope, a happy one.
I will always miss you.

Pam S. crying

Old May 8th 04, 10:32 PM
Gracecat

Oh Pam, I'm so so sorry. *tears* It's hard to loose those that have
weaselled in our hearts so well.

I'll light a candle tonight for Penny's passing. Purrs and prayers for you,
and scritches for the gang, I know they're hurting just as much.

Grace

ink.net...

Old May 8th 04, 10:35 PM
Jeanette

Tanada wrote in message
ink.net...
Miss Penelope Marie Shirk died early this morning from her Leukemia.
She was about four years old and should have lived to be more than twenty.

snip beautifully told story ...

Penelope Marie Shirk 2001-2004 a short life and, we hope, a happy one.
I will always miss you.

Pam S. crying

Pam, thank you for looking after her.

Jeanette (crying too)

Old May 8th 04, 10:42 PM
MaryL

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
Miss Penelope Marie Shirk died early this morning from her Leukemia.
She was about four years old and should have lived to be more than twenty.

Pam S. crying

Oh, Pam, I am so sorry. This is a beautiful, loving tribute to Penny. You
had me in tears, too.

MaryL

Old May 8th 04, 10:47 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 08 May 2004 21:02:34 GMT, Tanada
yodeled:

[...]

Bless you for giving her such a wonderful life.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)

Old May 8th 04, 11:00 PM
Jeanne Hedge

*tears*

Thank you for taking Penny in and giving her a good life, however long
it was.

We'll light a candle for her tonight.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com