More camera practice

Old January 10th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default More camera practice

Well, I don't like what the flash does, but I have the same problem with
all cameras. It's so dark around here at the moment that I can't take
any pictures without flash. I still haven't tried the night-shot option,
though.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23654...58511339InCIdF

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27907...58511339njYrEw

Old January 10th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Marina" wrote in message
Well, I don't like what the flash does, but I have the same problem with
all cameras. It's so dark around here at the moment that I can't take any
pictures without flash. I still haven't tried the night-shot option,
though.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23654...58511339InCIdF

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27907...58511339njYrEw

Marina,

I bought an external flash for my camera (a Nikon 8800). I still haven't
used it much, but it can be tilted so the flash bounces off that ceiling.
Holly *hates* the flash and has learned to turn her head of half-close her
eyes when I aim the camera at her, so I am hoping this will help. Beyond
that, bouncing the flash off the ceiling is supposed to help with the
red-eye (or "yellow-eye" in Holly's case) problem.

MaryL

Old January 10th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christopher Havlicek

Marina wrote:
Well, I don't like what the flash does, but I have the same problem with
all cameras. It's so dark around here at the moment that I can't take
any pictures without flash. I still haven't tried the night-shot option,
though.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23654...58511339InCIdF

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27907...58511339njYrEw

Hi Marina -

Try the night shot settings. If it's anything like my Sony, the night
shot uses infra-red to highlight, focus and adjust flash settings. It
might throw the colors off slightly...maybe....but that might just be
the way I'm using it. I've gotten some shots that I would have had to
use a tripod and remote for with my 35mm film camera, even with high
speed film.

As always, Cal and Mir make wonderful subjects...

Purrs-

Chris (as directed by Tripper, Katie, and Hazard)
Old January 11th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

MaryL wrote:
I bought an external flash for my camera (a Nikon 8800). I still haven't
used it much, but it can be tilted so the flash bounces off that ceiling.
Holly *hates* the flash and has learned to turn her head of half-close her
eyes when I aim the camera at her, so I am hoping this will help. Beyond
that, bouncing the flash off the ceiling is supposed to help with the
red-eye (or "yellow-eye" in Holly's case) problem.

Thank you for the suggestion, Mary. I also wanted to thank you for your
card, which arrived a few days ago. I LOLed at the picture of Duffy
'singing'. Caliban was very interested in the card, and sniffed it long
and well, then he gave it his seal of approval by biting into a corner.

Old January 11th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christopher Havlicek wrote:

Try the night shot settings. If it's anything like my Sony, the night
shot uses infra-red to highlight, focus and adjust flash settings. It
might throw the colors off slightly...maybe....but that might just be
the way I'm using it. I've gotten some shots that I would have had to
use a tripod and remote for with my 35mm film camera, even with high
speed film.

As always, Cal and Mir make wonderful subjects...

Thanks, Chris. I'll have to try the night-shot mode. There's also a
'kids and pets' setting that I want to try, when I'm a little more used
to handling this camera (it's so small!). Maybe I can catch the furries
in action with that.

My sister has a Sony. It seems to be very good, too. She had made a
beautiful 2007 wall calendar for Mum for Yule with pictures she had
taken with the Sony.

Old January 11th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Marina" wrote in message
My sister has a Sony. It seems to be very good, too. She had made a
beautiful 2007 wall calendar for Mum for Yule with pictures she had taken
with the Sony.

Which camera did you end up getting Marina?

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old January 11th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Marina" wrote in message
Susan M wrote:
Which camera did you end up getting Marina?

The Canon IXUS 800.

Wow that looks like a nice camera ... and tiny! The image stabilization
should be super useful with that night shot feature. I'm all over cameras
right now since I just got a new one too - I got a digital SLR this time -
want to focus on my birding shots for a while ... the macro has been loads
of fun in the house too. I also went for Canon and did the 30D. It's been
fun playing around with it.

So many hobbies - so little time!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old January 11th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Well, I don't like what the flash does, but I have the same problem with
all cameras. It's so dark around here at the moment that I can't take
any pictures without flash. I still haven't tried the night-shot option,
though.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23654...58511339InCIdF
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27907...58511339njYrEw

Of the two, I think Caliban's photo came out a bit better - maybe because
he has more contrasting colors? You can only see evidence of the flash on
his face, but not on the darker parts of his body.

Joyce

New camera! Marina Cat anecdotes 15 January 16th 07 04:02 PM
Cat Used As 'Target Practice' Survives Being Shot 6 Times Andy Cat health & behaviour 0 March 5th 06 06:40 AM
New Camera Arrived! OT jmcquown Cat anecdotes 13 September 1st 05 08:05 PM
OT - got a new camera today Magic Mood Jeep© Cat anecdotes 10 August 8th 05 04:04 AM
New camera - new photos Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 12 December 15th 03 12:58 AM