Poor Cajun!!! Vibes please!

Old November 22nd 03, 10:32 PM
m. L. Briggs

On 22 Nov 2003 14:37:24 GMT, op (Angela) wrote:

He started acting quiet on Weds. By Weds night, he was hiding under the bed,
something he hasn't done since he was around 3 1/2 months old. (He's 9 months
old, rescued as a 7 week old feral kitten.) He stayed under the bed until
Thursday morning, not even jumping up on the bed to sleep. (usual spot when in
the bedroom) He came out with encouragement, ate a kitty treat, had some
breakfast, some water, and used his litter box. Just looked dull and lethargic.

Thursday afternoon, he looked more lethargic, still drinking and eating his
offered treats, but eating without his normal enthusiasm. We made the decision
to take him straight to the vet. He was running a fever of 104.4, a fever they
could not explain. They kept him overnight at the clinic to run a urine test on
him. I hated to leave him there. He has adjusted into a very sweet cat, but
he's sweet and docile on his terms. He is very wary of fast movements, and only
totally trusts Dean. But, he was too ill to even protest being picked up,
having his neck slightly shaved for blood (very fluffy fur), handled by unknown
people, etc. Needless to say, we didn't sleep much Thursday night.

Picked him up from the emergency clinic Friday morning, his blood work had come
in and there were different things elevated on it. We drove him straight to our
regular vet. (You better believe that YES we were paying for a second opinion.
This cat, even if he isn't a cuddle bug is family.) The second vet wasn't able
to tell us much more on the blood work, because certain things were up, but
others weren't. She did say that if the antibiotics didn't start helping, we
would test him for Toxo. (He's indoor only, but mom was feral. The Fip, felv,
fiv, whatever other "f" tests they do, all were negative, they checked those
again Thursday night.) His fever had dropped down to 103.7.

His urine culture came back last night, it shows white blood cells in the
urine. It's being sent for culture and sensitvity. He's not blocked up urinary
wise. He is able to pee, no diarrhea. He doesn't have sneezing, coughing, or
watery eyes. The vet didn't see a reason to xray him at this time. No lumps we
can feel to indicate abscesses.

After being dropped off at the house again yesterday, he ate, drank, used the
box, and retreated under the bed. He came out when we got home from work, let
us pill him, ate a few bites of wet food, and back under the bed he went. At
some point last night, he climbed onto the bed to sleep, which is encouraging.

Around 4am, he started to bellow. It was very strange. At 4am, it dawned on me
that Cajun doesn't "talk" normally. His brother Doby screams in a wee baby
voice all the time. We used to call HIM whiner. But Caj, he only made meows a
few times, usually to call Doby if Doby was freaking out. (Doby used to panic
if he couldn't see Cajun when they were younger.) I thought the noise was
coming from outside at first, because it was not one of our inside cat voices!
So, I opened the door, and he walked out to drink, and use his box, then, back
into the bedroom, but onto the bed this time.

The point of this long post is not really seeking advice, just vibes for him
please. I am very worried about him. He's feeling really punky. I know. I am
lucky to get to pet him most of the time. Part of the time, he runs, or cringes
away. I hate having to put pills down his throat. They wanted me to try
liquid...that sounded even more tramatic! (We have taught them both that we
respect their wishes as far as being touched. We NEVER force it on them. Even
nail trimming is done carefully and sometimes one nail at a time. They aren't
afraid because we don't make it a big deal and, if they struggle, we put them
straight down. So, forcing him to swallow this pill is going to be hard to do.
That's another story however.)

Angela (Aol.com doesn't hop!)

www.rabbitadoption.org Rabbits & small animals for adoption--worldwide links,
including vet referrals & other rescues, care tips, mail order products, etc.

There are so many strange "bugs" going around this year, no wonder the
animals and people get sick. I sincerely hope Cajun overcomes the
germ and is a well kitty soon. MLB

Old November 23rd 03, 06:10 AM
Angela

Here's a brief update, we came home tonight to find him at the door, greeting
us. (okay, greeting Dean, LOL) He's starting to play with Doby a little, where
this morning, he was hissing if Doby got too close and annoyed him.

Thankfully, pilling him is going fairly easy. Dean picks him up, I scruff him,
pill him, we let him go, and I shake the treat container before he can flee the
room. He jumps up, eats a treat, and goes off on his merry way. (Eating treats
VERY enthusiastically tonight, as opposed to the past few days when he has
sorta sleep walked into them.)

The liver enzymes were elevated, and an value that is indicative of either
stress or some type of muscle issue according to the vet. She said that many
times, bacteria can enter the system, infect the liver or kidneys, then, the
antibiotics knock the infection and fever out. (Total downscale of everything
she said. She spent half an hour going over everything with us. I love her, she
even asked how our senior cat who saw her a month ago was doing. She's why we
drive 30-45 each way to see her. She's the kind of vet who if she says a test
is needed, you simply write the check.)

Someone exactly what values were high, I'll have to grab the paperwork and look
to tell for sure. I know the Bun/Cre were up (kidney), bilirubin was up
(liver), not sure what the "muscle" enzyme was called, but it was REALLY high.

I am just glad the little critter is acting better. He sure scared me half to
death. I thought we were going to lose him for sure.

Old November 23rd 03, 06:23 PM
MacCandace

I am just glad the little critter is acting better. He sure scared me half
death. I thought we were going to lose him for sure.

Angela (Aol.com doesn't hop!)

When my now 2 year old cat, Abbey, was also nine months old, she got very sick
suddenly, too, with a fever. With her, too, the only abnormalities in her
bloodwork were some liver things. It took about a week of antibiotics and she
was totally better but she seemed very ill for the first few days, not eating
at all. I had to force feed her baby food, it was awful and she looked so
pathetic. But then she was better. I'm sure your little guy is now on the
road to recovery.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old November 24th 03, 11:24 PM
Cheryl

In ,
Angela composed with style:

Someone exactly what values were high, I'll have to grab the
paperwork and look to tell for sure. I know the Bun/Cre were up
(kidney), bilirubin was up (liver), not sure what the "muscle"
enzyme was called, but it was REALLY high.

Maybe the ALT? My Shadows was up to 1500 after a surgery last year
and it was described in just the same way. He had hepatic lipidosis
but the AlkP and biliruben was back down by the time of his surgery,
so it wasn't that again. The ALT went back down in a week or so.

I am just glad the little critter is acting better. He sure scared
me half to death. I thought we were going to lose him for sure.

Glad he is doing better.