Bengal cats question

Old January 15th 05, 02:37 AM
B B

Your right Kelly, I'm not dead set on a pure breed. I really just like
that wild look they have. The brown/gold coats with the black dots. Like
I said in my previous post, I will research this, and have no problem
adopting an adult (female) cat. I will look at those web sites you & the
others posted. Thank you again. Brian

Old January 15th 05, 04:06 AM
Cat Protector

Some cats at the shelter have exotic or unique looks. The brown classic
tabby patterns on some cats look really cool. My Icarus has the classic
tabby pattern which I read is rare for Japanese Bobtails but it isn't so
rare it doesn't happen.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old January 15th 05, 04:21 AM
Mary

"B B" wrote in message
I just walked in from work, and "WOW"...that was my first reaction to
the amount of feedback this post received. Thank you to each person that
posted.

A little more about me, I'm a massage therapist from metro
Detroit (Michigan). I already own a tabby, she is 7 years old. Her name
is Fury. I did get her from a shelter, near the macomb county jail for
those who know macomb county. She was about 9 months old when I adopted
her. She was shaved in certain area's on her body, I guess the community
college nearby use the animals for the veterinarian classes. So I would
be fine looking into adopting an adult bengal.

Super! I saw some mixes I would dearly love to take on Petfinder. Love
those turquoise eyes some of them have.

If your wondering, I'm
moving soon, and I'm going to let my mom have Fury. Fury has lived in
the home her whole life, and she is good company for my mom. I will
include a photo of Fury at the bottom.

What a pretty tabby she is!! Fury and your Mom are lucky to have you.

Old January 15th 05, 04:15 PM
Orchid

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:38:07 GMT, "Mary"
wrote:

You can look at the eye color and body shape of many of
these cats and tell they do indeed have Bengal bloodlines.
It is not necessary for someone to pay $400-$1000 for
a cat when others have done so and thrown said cat
away. Have a heart, will you?

I am going to have to disagree with you about the conformation
on many of the alleged Bengals. Allow me to get one thing out at the
beginning. != Bengal DOES NOT mean != good. Like I said before,
wonderful, loving, deserving cats -- just not Bengals. I think part
of my position on this issue (which has come up before) comes from
what breed *I* own -- because Bengals have become very popular, many
shelters are labelling anything with a spot anywhere on the body as a
'Bengal'. You may not be aware of this, but some states are outlawing
hybrid anything because of problems with wolf-dog hybrids. Because of
this, Bengals, which are loving domestic cats with fantastic
temperaments are being banned as 'vicious'. Bengals are illegal in
Georgia, Denver, and Conneticut, and legislation has been considered
in New York State as well. The only defense we Bengal owners have is
to introduce the public to our breed's incredible temperaments.
So what happens when a shelter adopts out a 'Bengal mix' with
an uncertain temperament? What happens if the cat hurts someone?
Is the cat described as a domestic shorthair? No. The cat is
described as a Bengal, which gives anti-Bengal people another piece of
ammunition.

The other part is how totally unfair it is to the cat. A cat
does not have to be a Bengal in order to be beautiful and worthy of a
home. I'll go over the first few cats listed as Bengals/Bengal mixes
on Petfinder (that do not have papers associated with them, as a few
do -- more on that gripe later).

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E24812E3A *might* have some Bengal blood.
The temperament sounds pretty close, and her many conformation flaws
could simply be poor breeding (which is pretty much a given, as she
was apparantly a stray).

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G15852E3A is *not* a Bengal. He is a
brown mackeral tabby with some broken stripes. His conformation is
entirely wrong (cobby head, big pointed ears on top of his head,
short-bodied (as compared to a Bengal)). His coat pattern is entirely
wrong -- big clear tabby 'M', vertical stripes all over, no spots on
his tummy, and ticking, ticking, ticking.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?S56812E3A is another brown mackeral
tabby.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H27854E3A is yet another brown mackeral
tabby (though I find her lack of an 'M' to be intriguing and
jealousy-inducing) with a short, cobby body.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W68815E3A is so young and it's such a bad
picture for determining conformation that it's difficult to be exact
about his Bengal status. Good breed-determinant pictures have a full
face shot, a profile shot, and a body shot in profile. But, from his
head I'd say his ears are wrong (very large and pointed), his 'M' is
the most clearly defined M I've ever seen, and his nose is black
(Bengal noses are brick-red outlined in black). But he's adorable and
I just want to cuddle him all day.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E1A851E3A is probably a Bengal. A
really, really overweight Bengal, which is just wrong. Her spotting is
awfully vertical, but not every Bengal has good coat.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?S4C825E3A is, for the love of goddess,
not a Bengal. A classic tabby pattern does not make a Bengal.
Marbles, believe it or not, were an 'accident' -- their pattern is a
combination of the classic tabby pattern and the horizontal 'pull' of
the ALC genes. Sadly, this has come to mean that classic tabbies are
now called Bengal mixes.

And, to prove that I am not just anti breed rescue,
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=
is not a Bengal. Sal is a wonderful man, but sometimes his enthusiasm
for rescuing *all cats* causes him to make bad identifiers. Tink is
really sweet, but she's a mackeral tabby and white. Yes, we've argued
over her identifier, but he's the boss.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid
Old January 15th 05, 05:43 PM
Brigitte

"B B" wrote in message
Hello...I was thinking of buying a Bengal cat. A person told me these
cats really like water, and will even walk in the shower sometimes....is
this true? If so, is it rare or common with this breed?

I think the Bengals look pretty cool...those with the gold coat
with black dots are my favorite...very wild looking. Anything major to
know about this breed? I have always owned a short haired tabby.

I have 2 cats that love the water. I got them both from a gal I used to
work with. Her barn cat had a litter and I took 2 of them. They have both
been bathed weekly since I got them last year. Both of them will get into
the shower with me.

I don't believe this has anything to do with their breeding, but credit it
to their early and repeated baths.

One of them even naps in the tub.

Brigitte

Old January 15th 05, 08:08 PM
Mary

wrote:

You can look at the eye color and body shape of many of
these cats and tell they do indeed have Bengal bloodlines.
It is not necessary for someone to pay $400-$1000 for
a cat when others have done so and thrown said cat
away. Have a heart, will you?

I am going to have to disagree with you about the conformation
on many of the alleged Bengals.

Look at what I wrote. In your analysis below, you agree that
you can look at many of them and tell.

Allow me to get one thing out at the
beginning. != Bengal DOES NOT mean != good. Like I said before,
wonderful, loving, deserving cats -- just not Bengals. I think part
of my position on this issue (which has come up before) comes from
what breed *I* own -- because Bengals have become very popular, many
shelters are labelling anything with a spot anywhere on the body as a
'Bengal'. You may not be aware of this, but some states are outlawing
hybrid anything because of problems with wolf-dog hybrids. Because of
this, Bengals, which are loving domestic cats with fantastic
temperaments are being banned as 'vicious'. Bengals are illegal in
Georgia, Denver, and Conneticut, and legislation has been considered
in New York State as well.

Hmm. Thanks for telling me this, I had no idea. I wonder if this alleged
viciousness is why I saw several so-called "four-way" declaws.

The only defense we Bengal owners have is
to introduce the public to our breed's incredible temperaments.
So what happens when a shelter adopts out a 'Bengal mix' with
an uncertain temperament? What happens if the cat hurts someone?
Is the cat described as a domestic shorthair? No. The cat is
described as a Bengal, which gives anti-Bengal people another piece of
ammunition.

Is the Bengal a naturally occuring cat that is indigenous to somewhere?

[...]

Mackeral tabbies have straight stripes, not spots.

Old January 15th 05, 08:12 PM
Mary

"Brigitte" wrote in message

"B B" wrote in message
Hello...I was thinking of buying a Bengal cat. A person told me these
cats really like water, and will even walk in the shower sometimes....is
this true? If so, is it rare or common with this breed?

I think the Bengals look pretty cool...those with the gold coat
with black dots are my favorite...very wild looking. Anything major to
know about this breed? I have always owned a short haired tabby.

I have 2 cats that love the water. I got them both from a gal I used to
work with. Her barn cat had a litter and I took 2 of them. They have

both
been bathed weekly since I got them last year. Both of them will get into
the shower with me.

I don't believe this has anything to do with their breeding, but credit it
to their early and repeated baths.

One of them even naps in the tub.

Well this is a sane observation! I suppose it does make sense
that those who wish to bathe their cats get started early. I have
actually never heard of cats that liked baths. I am supposed to
bathe mine due to my allergies etc. but would rather suffer than
scare them to death as bathing does.

Old January 15th 05, 08:46 PM
Sherry

Well this is a sane observation! I suppose it does make sense
that those who wish to bathe their cats get started early. I have
actually never heard of cats that liked baths. I am supposed to
bathe mine due to my allergies etc. but would rather suffer than
scare them to death as bathing does.

I"ve never seen a cat who actually likes a bath, although I'm sure there are
some. My daughter's cat gets a bath regularly. He doesn't fuss, he doesn't try
to run away, he just sits there. But just judging from the persecuted look on
his face, I don't think he actually likes it.

Sherry
Old January 16th 05, 03:23 AM
PawsForThought

From: "Mary"

Orchid" wrote in message
.. .
On 14 Jan 2005 12:41:54 -0800, "Rene S."
wrote:

I don't know where you live, but please consider adopting a rescued or
shelter Bengal, if that's what you truly want. This is a great site,
which includes the US and Canada:
http://www.petfinder.com

Sadly, 90% of the 'Bengals' on Petfinder are not. Since
Bengals are a popular breed, anything with a spot anywhere on its body
is dubbed a Bengal by most shelters. While I am sure they are still
wonderful cats, they are not Bengals and will probably not have the
qualities that the OP is looking for. Your best bet on Petfinder is
to inquire with Bengal Rescue.

You can look at the eye color and body shape of many of
these cats and tell they do indeed have Bengal bloodlines.
It is not necessary for someone to pay $400-$1000 for
a cat when others have done so and thrown said cat
away. Have a heart, will you?

I think Bengals have become somewhat of a novelty for some people and I
wouldn't be surprised at all to see them in shelters once the novelty wears off

________
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old January 16th 05, 04:37 AM
Tracy

Just in my state, California, it seems like over half a dozen purebred
Bengals have either been "surrendered" or rescued from a bad breeder. I
just find the idea rather precious that buyers of purebred cats don't
abandon their cats just like other folks do. And a couple of abandoned
unneutered Bengals and the genes are out there in the general cat
population. For the OP, just look for a cat that has the look and the
personality that you like - that's what's important!