Bengal cats question

Old January 16th 05, 04:01 AM
Mary

"Tracy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just in my state, California, it seems like over half a dozen purebred
Bengals have either been "surrendered" or rescued from a bad breeder. I
just find the idea rather precious that buyers of purebred cats don't
abandon their cats just like other folks do. And a couple of abandoned
unneutered Bengals and the genes are out there in the general cat
population. For the OP, just look for a cat that has the look and the
personality that you like - that's what's important!

Nobody has answered the question of the "fourway" declaw I saw
mentioned at Petfinder for several Bengal cats. So horrible.

Old January 17th 05, 11:12 PM
Orchid

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:08:48 GMT, "Mary"
wrote:

"Orchid" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:38:07 GMT, "Mary"
wrote:

You can look at the eye color and body shape of many of
these cats and tell they do indeed have Bengal bloodlines.
It is not necessary for someone to pay $400-$1000 for
a cat when others have done so and thrown said cat
away. Have a heart, will you?

I am going to have to disagree with you about the conformation
on many of the alleged Bengals.

Look at what I wrote. In your analysis below, you agree that
you can look at many of them and tell.

You misunderstand what i was disagreeing about. I was
disagreeing that the conformation of the alleged Bengals matched that
of an actual Bengal.

this, Bengals, which are loving domestic cats with fantastic
temperaments are being banned as 'vicious'. Bengals are illegal in
Georgia, Denver, and Conneticut, and legislation has been considered
in New York State as well.

Hmm. Thanks for telling me this, I had no idea. I wonder if this alleged
viciousness is why I saw several so-called "four-way" declaws.

Oh, yuck. I would hope not. Declawing is repugnant, and it
pains me to think of any cat four-pawed, much less a Bengal. Hell, it
pains me to think of any cat declawed at all.

The only defense we Bengal owners have is
to introduce the public to our breed's incredible temperaments.
So what happens when a shelter adopts out a 'Bengal mix' with
an uncertain temperament? What happens if the cat hurts someone?
Is the cat described as a domestic shorthair? No. The cat is
described as a Bengal, which gives anti-Bengal people another piece of
ammunition.

Is the Bengal a naturally occuring cat that is indigenous to somewhere?

Nope. It's an entirely artificial breed. ALCs and domestics
have a different number of chromosomes (Prionaliurus bengalensis vs.
Felis catus) and thus the inital hybridising is problematic. F1-F3
males are usually sterile, and females have limited fertility. It's
at the F4 generation that males and females are fully fertile. While
ALCs will mate with domestic cats on their own, it usually doesn't go
beyond that.
However, it is the very artificiality of the breed that gives
them their fantastic temperaments -- well-bred Bengals have been bred
for temperament first and foremost since the beginning of their
pedigree.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G15852E3A is *not* a Bengal. He is a
brown mackeral tabby with some broken stripes. His conformation is
entirely wrong (cobby head, big pointed ears on top of his head,
short-bodied (as compared to a Bengal)). His coat pattern is entirely
wrong -- big clear tabby 'M', vertical stripes all over, no spots on
his tummy, and ticking, ticking, ticking.

Mackeral tabbies have straight stripes, not spots.

Tabbies, both classic and mackeral, can have 'broken' stripes,
which appear as spots. Genetically they are still classic or mackeral
tabbies. If you look at the cat and play a mental 'connect the dots'
game, his spots form vertical stripes. Without the 'broken' modifier
on the tabby gene the Ocicat, California Spangled, and Australian Mist
breeds could not exist.
Bengals have the influence of the ALC 'horizontal' gene (which
does not exist in domestic cats), and thus their spots flow in a
horizontal or random pattern. You can still have some vertical
influencing on the spots of a Bengal, but it's considered undesirable
and is being bred out.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid
Old January 21st 05, 12:11 AM
Tracy

They most likely aren't. But that doesn't mean they don't contain a
chunk of genetic material from those breeds. Between abandoned
purebreds and those who fall into the hands of backyard breeders, there
are really very few strains of cat who haven't contributed some genes
to the general random breeding population. Bobtails exist in the stray
cat population and the trait and much of the associated characteristics
exist and pop up in random bred cats. There is really no reason at all
to think that any of the physical and behavior and temperamental
aspects of purebed cats don't exist in the general cat population, too.
They do. Are they harder to find than ordering a kitten from a breeder?
Sure. But Petfinder is a wonderful resource to look for already-here
cats that have the looks and personality that someone finds appealing.
And for a pet, that is absolutely all that can possibly matter. I'm all
for putting the breeders out of business from simple lack of demand for
their products. Maybe someday. (sigh).

Old January 21st 05, 01:53 AM
Mary

"Tracy" wrote in message
[...]