Cats and Electrical Storms

Old January 22nd 04, 10:40 PM
Gizela

Default Cats and Electrical Storms

Last night after a 36degC day, we had a massive electrical
storm...lightning, huge claps of thunder...lasted 2 hours!!!

Gizmo spent all her time at the back door (which was open due to the
heat)...just watching. When we realised the rain was coming in the door was
promptly shut and poor Gizmo was at a loss where to go. She went in and out
of every window, pacing, meowing etc in between then finall just sat in
front of me meowing. She didn't want to be picked up (I tried) and she
didn't seem at all scared by the thunder....in fact...I think she was
whingeing for me to put her outside in it!!!

All this happened between 10pm and midnight last night.

Does anyone else cat/s act abnormal druing thunderstorms? I'd be interested
to ear any stories!!

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Old January 22nd 04, 11:08 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:40:17 +1100, "Gizela"
u wrote:

Last night after a 36degC day, we had a massive electrical
storm...lightning, huge claps of thunder...lasted 2 hours!!!

Gizmo spent all her time at the back door (which was open due to the
heat)...just watching. When we realised the rain was coming in the door was
promptly shut and poor Gizmo was at a loss where to go. She went in and out
of every window, pacing, meowing etc in between then finall just sat in
front of me meowing. She didn't want to be picked up (I tried) and she
didn't seem at all scared by the thunder....in fact...I think she was
whingeing for me to put her outside in it!!!

All this happened between 10pm and midnight last night.

Does anyone else cat/s act abnormal druing thunderstorms? I'd be interested
to ear any stories!!

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

TuTu hides in a closet.
Old January 22nd 04, 11:54 PM
Brenda

"Gizela" u wrote in message
[...]

Emily is terribly afraid of thunder. She runs from one hiding place to
another, and if the thunder is particularly loud, she starts to shake. She
has spent more than one night time thunderstorm in bed with me - under the
covers and snuggled up as close to me as she can get.
Brenda

Old January 23rd 04, 12:12 AM
m. L. Briggs

u wrote:

Last night after a 36degC day, we had a massive electrical
storm...lightning, huge claps of thunder...lasted 2 hours!!!

Gizmo spent all her time at the back door (which was open due to the
heat)...just watching. When we realised the rain was coming in the door was
promptly shut and poor Gizmo was at a loss where to go. She went in and out
of every window, pacing, meowing etc in between then finall just sat in
front of me meowing. She didn't want to be picked up (I tried) and she
didn't seem at all scared by the thunder....in fact...I think she was
whingeing for me to put her outside in it!!!

All this happened between 10pm and midnight last night.

Does anyone else cat/s act abnormal druing thunderstorms? I'd be interested
to ear any stories!!

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

I'm curious -- does she have a hearing problem?
Old January 23rd 04, 12:19 AM
GraceCat

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message

I'm curious -- does she have a hearing problem?

That's interesting. She could feel the vibrations, a replacement
perception in a sensory deprived world. Or just a cat communicating with
the mother ship under conditions that are typically free from satellite
traffic via airplanes and such

Grace

Old January 23rd 04, 12:19 AM
Gizela

No hearing problem. She spends most of the day outside so is just used to
being where all the action is I guess!!!

Old January 23rd 04, 02:23 AM
Victor Martinez

Gizela wrote:
Does anyone else cat/s act abnormal druing thunderstorms? I'd be interested
to ear any stories!!

Xoxo used to be terrified of thunder. We think it was because he knew it
meant water and cold. Anyhow, slowly he's managed to overcome his fear.
It used to be that at the first sound of thunder he'll run hide under a
bed. Now he just perks his ears and makes sure he's dry... ;-)

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 23rd 04, 02:50 AM
badwilson

"Gizela" u wrote in message
Last night after a 36degC day, we had a massive electrical
storm...lightning, huge claps of thunder...lasted 2 hours!!!

Gizmo spent all her time at the back door (which was open due to the
heat)...just watching. When we realised the rain was coming in the door

was
promptly shut and poor Gizmo was at a loss where to go. She went in and

out
of every window, pacing, meowing etc in between then finall just sat in
front of me meowing. She didn't want to be picked up (I tried) and she
didn't seem at all scared by the thunder....in fact...I think she was
whingeing for me to put her outside in it!!!

All this happened between 10pm and midnight last night.

Does anyone else cat/s act abnormal druing thunderstorms? I'd be

interested
to ear any stories!!

No, Vino acts pretty nonchalant about the whole storm business. Mind you,
around here we get them almost daily from July through October and about
twice weekly from March to July. He only jumps when there is a particularly
loud thunder clap that sounds like a bomb going off across the street.
Other than that, he sits on his cat tree and looks out the window.
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old January 23rd 04, 03:23 AM
Steve Touchstone

u wrote:

Last night after a 36degC day, we had a massive electrical
storm...lightning, huge claps of thunder...lasted 2 hours!!!

Gizmo spent all her time at the back door (which was open due to the
heat)...just watching. When we realised the rain was coming in the door was
promptly shut and poor Gizmo was at a loss where to go. She went in and out
of every window, pacing, meowing etc in between then finall just sat in
front of me meowing. She didn't want to be picked up (I tried) and she
didn't seem at all scared by the thunder....in fact...I think she was
whingeing for me to put her outside in it!!!

All this happened between 10pm and midnight last night.

Does anyone else cat/s act abnormal druing thunderstorms? I'd be interested
to ear any stories!!

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Mine have very different reactions. Sammy is terrified, and starts
looking for a hiding place a good half hour before the first
thunderclap. If I'm home I sit on the floor leaning back against the
couch and she crawls between my back and the couch and faces away from
the windows, trembling and shaking. Little Bit usually finds a good
spot in the window and watches the lightning. Rocky hasn't been inside
during a storm yet. But, judging from his reaction to other weather I
expect him to take it in stride. He'll sit in the middle of the lawn
during a drizzle - he just couldn't care less. In fact, I think he
gets wet on purpose, because he knows that he'll get towelled off when
he comes in.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old January 23rd 04, 03:52 AM
Duke of URL

In ,
Gizela u radiated
into the WorldWideWait:

Last night after a 36degC day, we had a massive electrical
storm...lightning, huge claps of thunder...lasted 2 hours!!!

Gizmo spent all her time at the back door (which was open due to the
heat)...just watching. When we realised the rain was coming in the
door was promptly shut and poor Gizmo was at a loss where to go.
She went in and out of every window, pacing, meowing etc in between
then finall just sat in front of me meowing. She didn't want to be
picked up (I tried) and she didn't seem at all scared by the
thunder....in fact...I think she was whingeing for me to put her
outside in it!!!

All this happened between 10pm and midnight last night.

Does anyone else cat/s act abnormal druing thunderstorms? I'd be
interested to ear any stories!!

Chaos absolutely hates thunderstorms, but I suppose that's due to the
way I got her. Soon as one approaches, I have a furry mustard plaster.