Buffy Update 5/30/2021

Old May 31st 21, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy Update 5/30/2021

She just fooled me again and this afternoon ate some of the dry Rx
kibble. I've been dishing up 1/4 of a cup every day in a separate bowl
"just in case". She's ignored it. This afternoon she surprised me! I
still primarily expect her to only want to eat soft canned food given
her situation but I make the dry available, too.

And yes, she's back to eating only the prescription food. I was able to
get her to eat the mixture with the Sheba after a couple of servings of
just Sheba. Now I've weaned her off that and she's happy to eat the
prescription food. At least I know she won't throw up the Sheba food.
It's the brand she ate before the Rx stuff but also before the bladder
stone. One symptom of the bladder issue was vomiting and unable to use
the box. Don't need a recurrence of that on top of everything else.
So, she's back to eating the Rx food. Yay!

She's sitting on my lap right now, purring. She slept curled into my
side last night. Woke me up this morning wanting food! She's stuck
with me most of the day, wanting scritches and purring while I was
reading a book.

I do think the long-term pain shot they gave her is starting to wear
off. I have liquid oral pain meds in pre-measured syringes to squirt in
her mouth every 12 hours starting tomorrow. She won't be happy with my
doing it but from previous experience she gets over that fairly quickly.
The goal is no pain, continue to eat, use the box, be comfortable, be
happy. And yes, please, do keep sleeping curled up next to me and
waking me up asking for food.

It's not a fun or easy thing to administer medication by mouth to a cat
whose upper jaw is the source of the pain. I'm always afraid I'll hurt her.

I mentioned that to the vet and he said I could bring her in and they'd
administer the medication, no charge for the visit/service. That's nice
but I am sure as heck not going to subject Buffy to the stress of being
put in her carrier and driven to the vet every day! OMG, talk about
stressing her out. She'd never trust me again. She'd think every
minute I moved I was going to put her in the carrier. She'd find a
place to hide where I'd never find her. Thanks but no thanks. I'll
manage to give her the meds.

Jill
Old May 31st 21, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/31/2021 8:24 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
[...]

Well bless her cotton socks. she's doing so well and sounds a lot happier.
Maybe the purrs are helping too. Good luck with the pain meds.

Judith

Thank you. She's eating. She's drinking. Not as much poo as I'd like
but I'm adding fiber powder to the drinking water and that seems to
help. She's sitting on my lap again, purring and even rubbing her face
on my hand. She's not hiding (but I'm making sure to keep the bedroom
closet door closed).

I'll be giving her the first dose of liquid pain medication this
evening. I'll manage; she'll only be upset for a few minutes. I've
done this before, I just don't like doing it.

I'm still surprised the vet mentioned the option of taking her there
every day to let them administer it. Even if I were so inclined, it
wouldn't work because they're not open on Sundays. I have to give this
to her every day. They're not open today, either. Today is a US
holiday (Memorial Day). I have no idea why he even brought it up.

Buffy just got down off my lap and used her cardboard scratcher. She's
been doing that all along. Now she's in a Sphinx pose on top of the
scratcher, looking comfy.

I wish I could take a picture but my camera decided to fail last Thursday.

Jill
Old June 1st 21, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/31/2021 4:33 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

I'm so pleased to hear how good she is. I love that she's looking comfy.
She does seem to have become Buffy again. Good luck with the pain meds.

Judith

She took the liquid meds, no problem! She was curled up on her crackle
sack and let me squirt it into her mouth without a fight. A few minutes
later she joined me on the sofa in the den, looking rather stoned.

She's eating, she's using the litterbox, she slept curled up next to me
last night and wanted more food this morning.

I've no illusions about her prognosis but for now she's comfortable and
eating and using the box and is not in pain. That's what is important.

Jill