old cat with carpet

Old September 1st 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robin

Default old cat with carpet

Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

Old September 1st 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robin

On Aug 31, 8:30*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:28 pm, Robin wrote:

Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

If *you* don't insist on carpet in your apt., if possible research
apts. near
a beach or places where weather is usually warm. You will find many
with
not only hardwood floors, but laminate and tile of all sorts, where
the old
cat can have an accident now and then without you having a cow.
People don't like digging sand out of carpets.

Great idea, but almost all the places that are reasonably priced, and
more importantly, the house we really really want, has carpets.
Old September 1st 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Judy[_3_]

"Robin" wrote in message
Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

What is he currently using to scratch on? If you take those items with you,
he should continue to scratch on those.

Old September 1st 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"Robin" wrote in message
Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

Hmm...what a dilemma.
Old cat or carpet, old cat or carpet... Screw the ****ing carpet, your cat
has only a few years left to live, let him do what he wants.
Not all places on the east coat have carpet, why would you think that?
Apparently your cat is a bother to your hardwood floors also.
If your cat is a hindrance to your frequent moving plans, it would be kinder
to put him down rather than subject him to the stress of moving yet again.

Old September 2nd 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:28:23 -0700 (PDT), Robin
wrote:

Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

Don't worry about it

While many pluses with carpet, negatives are hygiene, they harbor bugs
bacteria & smells

With carpet (regardless of pets) you need to get them cleaned by
carpet cleaners (6 monthly?) who will deodorize and steam clean
carpets.

dry clean versions of carpet cleaning available.

I personally prefer steam cleaning

Your local paper should be full of businesses that do this at very
competitive rates

The one I use uses water as fast as tap delivers it heats it up with
soap/detergent(?) and pumps sudsy water down drain/sewer leaving
carpet dry and ready

If pet/cat has accident you need paper towels then finish with mop and
water (disinfectant added, I use "wool wash with Eucalyptus")

Petzl
Old September 3rd 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robin

On Aug 31, 11:26*pm, "dejablues" wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

Hmm...what a dilemma.
Old cat or carpet, old cat or carpet... *Screw the ****ing carpet, your cat
has only a few years left to live, let him do what he wants.
Not all places on the east coat have carpet, why would you think that?
Apparently your cat is a bother to your hardwood floors also.
If your cat is a hindrance to your frequent moving plans, it would be kinder
to put him down rather than subject him to the stress of moving yet again..

EXCUSE ME..... I am renting. All of the places my husband was able to
find on a week's notice had carpet. I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE. Not
putting the cat down, not leaving him behind, he is MY cat.

What kind of idiot says things like that to someone asking for help.

I don't want carpet. but the fabulous AND cheap house my husband found
HAS CARPET and I'm going to have to deal with it.

SO hence, how do I keep my healthy enthusiastic 17 year old cat from
scratching it and damaging it.

Someone should put down YOUR cats.
Old September 3rd 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robin

On Aug 31, 10:51*pm, "Judy" wumpygirl@yahoo-dot-com wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

What is he currently using to scratch on? If you take those items with you,
he should continue to scratch on those.

thank you for your sensible input.
Old September 3rd 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robin

wrote:

[...]

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

thank you very much for your sensible advice. I will be purchasing a
good vacuum like you describe.
Old September 3rd 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

wrote:

[...]

The "Vacuums" are truck mounted.
These services are offered by professional cleaners
check local paper
In Sydney Australia they are not expensive (AU$40)

Although your own vacuum will also be needed
Petzl
Old September 3rd 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

wrote:

[...]

Just to make things clearer here is a Sydney wide company that offers
this service
http://www.targetcarpetcleaning.com.au/

But shop around locals offer much better pricing
Petzl