I did it!

Old June 2nd 15, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default I did it!

jmcquown wrote:
I took it as a sign when I tore off the page of the 365 cats calendar
and the cat for today (June 2nd) was an orange tabby. :-D

I'm now owned by Buffy, a very small (compared to Persia) light orange
tabby. She has very pretty light green (almost blue-green) eyes.

It turns out Buffy *was* feral at one time; she's got the notched ear to
show she was caught and spayed. You sure couldn't tell she was once
feral from the way she was acting. She was rolling around on a chair,
loving getting scritches and purring like mad.

Congratulations! May you have many happy years together.
Old June 2nd 15, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I took it as a sign when I tore off the page of the 365 cats calendar and
the cat for today (June 2nd) was an orange tabby. :-D

I'm now owned by Buffy, a very small (compared to Persia) light orange
tabby. She has very pretty light green (almost blue-green) eyes.

It turns out Buffy *was* feral at one time; she's got the notched ear to
show she was caught and spayed. You sure couldn't tell she was once feral
from the way she was acting. She was rolling around on a chair, loving
getting scritches and purring like mad.

She's a small cat but she's plump. She doesn't know it but she's going on
a diet.

The woman who has been looking after Buffy and Frankie (they do NOT get
along, Frankie is a bully cat) since the owner died didn't know what kind
of food the dry kibble is since it was stored in a bin. She'd been giving
her a little bit of 9 Lives canned along with it every day.

Before I went over I went to the dollar store and bought some cans of
Sheba, a couple of cans of Friskies and a bag of Meow Mix.

You know I don't know much about store-bought cat food. Persia was pretty
much on prescription from the first or second year she lived with me.
This is a just to get the ball rolling until I can figure out what's best
for her. (Please don't tell me not to feed her dry food; this move is
enough of a change for her ATM and it's what she's used to.)

I got a nice little scratch trying to pick her up to put her in the
carrier. We finally put a tiny bit of wet food in a bowl and put it in
the Sherpa bag... she got curious enough to go in after it and we zipped
that sucker shut. MEOW!!! G

She's currently hiding under my bed. The food and water is in the bedroom
and the litterbox is in the adjoining bathroom. I rattled the bowl of dry
kibble at her so I know she knows it's there.

She'll come out when she's good and ready. Meanwhile I'm just talking
to her softly and leaving her alone. It's going to be quite an adjustment
for her, I'm sure.

Jill

So happy that you decided it was time for another.

Old June 2nd 15, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 6/2/2015 9:03 AM, MaryL wrote:
On 6/2/2015 10:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Concatulations, Jill! I hope this works out very well for you.

My first cat was feral, but he became the most wonderful companion
imaginable. It took a considerable amount of time, but most of the
early indoctrination has already been done for you since Buffy was
previously adopted.

I suggest that you don't try to put her on a diet until she becomes used
to your home. As you know, I also suggest using exclusively a canned
food with no grains. Cats are obligate carnivores, and they do not
digest grains. It would be good if you could first start out with the
diet she is used to, whatever it is. However, you have already
explained that you don't know what brand was used.

It is common for cats to hide under the bed after coming into a new
home, sometimes for several days. Spend some time with her, but don't
try to force her out. As someone else said, it is a good idea to sit in
the room for awhile--possibly reading or even watching TV if one is
available. It is also a good idea to leave a TV or radio set to an
"easy listening" or classical station during times when you cannot be in
the room. That seems to be comforting to many cats.

Good luck with Buffy. I hope this is "the beginning of a wonderful
friendship."

MaryL

OTOH, Koala used to run out of the room whenever I turned on the TV.
Now he doesn't do that, but it took months before he'd stay in the same
room with it.

Joy
Old June 3rd 15, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Oh, great news!! Congrats! It sounds like you're doing it just right, giving
her some time and the space to hide until she figures out that you're not
going to eat her. I'll bet once she stops worrying about that, and starts
to explore her new environment, she will suddenly realize that something
else has improved vastly for her - no more Frankie!

Looking forward to stories, and of course, pictures! So happy you have a
new mistress.

--
Joyce

The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.
Old June 3rd 15, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/2/2015 7:50 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Nope, no more Frankie or any other cat to give her a hard time. Some
cats really are *only* cats. Persia never liked other cats, either.

Looking forward to stories, and of course, pictures! So happy you have a
new mistress.

Thank you, Joyce. I almost had her coaxed out from under the bed a
little while ago. I dished up a bit of gooshy food. She came towards
me, sniffing and ready to eat and maybe come out.

Then we heard *kaboom*! Thunder. Storms are rolling in. She doesn't
like that noise. She must remember being outside. (Persia never liked
storms, either.)

Buffy demonstrated she is a very sweet cat. That was before we pulled
the food trick to get her into the carrier. When she ventures out from
under the bed and feels comfortable I'll take some pics. She likes
chairs... she's got new chairs and a couple of sofas to hang out on.

I did not get rid of Persia's cat cradle/barrel or her toy mousies. Or
the pyramid bed. Buffy has quite a few new (to her) things to look
forward to. Yet I'm sure this is all very confusing to her.

I'll be patient and let her bide her time. I really do hope I'll be
able to give her some scritches again soon. She was purring very loudly.

Jill
Old June 3rd 15, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 11:35:56 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I was also looking at the orange cat in the 365 cat calendar this
morning and was reminded that female orange cat is a minority.
Most orange cats are male. Now you have Buffy.
I just love orange cats and very happy for you.
Best wishes to you both for many happy years together.

Winnie
Old June 3rd 15, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Our Agatha is the same. She senses thunder coming, and she starts slouching
slowly, really close to the floor, and starts looking for somewhere dark and
quiet to hide in. Nothing can comfort her until the storm is past.

Agatha likes chairs, too. Epecially ones she can sharpen her claws against
:-)

Jay

Old June 4th 15, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:35:52 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
I got a nice little scratch trying to pick her up to put her in the
carrier. We finally put a tiny bit of wet food in a bowl and put it in
the Sherpa bag... she got curious enough to go in after it and we zipped
that sucker shut. MEOW!!! G

She's currently hiding under my bed. The food and water is in the
bedroom and the litterbox is in the adjoining bathroom. I rattled the
bowl of dry kibble at her so I know she knows it's there.

She'll come out when she's good and ready. Meanwhile I'm just
talking to her softly and leaving her alone. It's going to be quite an
adjustment for her, I'm sure.

OMG, you got a cat! The catching and the hiding does sound familiar.

You've done well for your new girl cat. I'm sure it was meant to be!
Old June 4th 15, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I think most pets are afraid of thunder.
Rusty would hide under my desk, or behind the washing machine
from which it was hard to coax him to come out

Winnie

Old June 5th 15, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

In my experience dogs are more sensitive to those kind of noises than cats.
I've never met a dog that didn't freak out when people were setting off
fireworks. I used to know someone who would go out of town over the 4th of
July - the major fireworks holiday in the US - just to take her dogs out of
the city and away from all the booming.

My cats, on the other hand, have never shown the slightest sign that they
even notice them. Not even an ear twitch. I think they must be able to tell
that the sounds are coming from far away. If there are loud noises coming
from someplace close by, such as if a house nearby is having work done on
the exterior, Licky will get startled and start looking around warily, poised
to bolt any second. Even Roxy looks around, trying to locate the sound.
Fireworks don't seem to register with them, though.

--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com