Purrs also for my father, please?

Old April 11th 06, 10:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Purrs also for my father, please?

Most of you know about his cancer. Some of you know about his mental health
not being so good; he's falling further into that chasm known as
Altzheimers.

I called him yesterday morning and he didn't know who I was. He was going
on and on about some check his *wife* (you mean my mother?!) had sent to
some guy named Edwin and he wanted his money back. I kept asking him what
he was talking about. He finally said, "Who am I talking to?" I said,
"It's Jill." "Jill? My daughter, Jill? How did you get on the phone?"
(huge sigh) Dad, I called you and you answered the phone. He really had no
idea who he was talking to.

I feel so sorry for my mom. Thank goodness she's cognizant but I have no
idea how she deals with this day in and day out. I keep offering to go down
there and help out but I'm told no. I can't force them to let me come visit
so I'm just sitting up here frustrated. Mom has the patience of a saint;
that's all I can say.

Jill

Old April 11th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

purrs enroute

--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old April 11th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

[...]

Purrs going out to you and your mom, Jill. My aunt is going through
this with my uncle. She doesn't dare leave him alone, especially if
they are away from the house. She went shopping with him a couple
months ago, and he didn't want to get out of the car. So she said
'Fine, you read your paper" and took the keys (he has driven off and
left her before) and went into the store. She said she was only in
there 10 minutes, and when she came out he was gone. She went back
into the store thinking he may have come looking for her, but no. She
had him paged, and finally this guy brought him in - my uncle told him
somebody had stolen his car keys. She now makes him come in to the
store with her. She gets so exasperated, and she says that it is hard
watching someone you have been married to for over 60 years
'disappear' before your eyes.
Old April 11th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Purrs for you, mega purrs for your mother. People with Altzheimers don't
suffer anything like those arround them. :-(

Old April 11th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I am so sorry about your father. Purrs are coming your way.

I know there is a 'day care' for Altzheimer patients here in town.
Ask your mother to see if she can find such a place. At least it
will give her time during the days to run errands etc.

Winnie

Old April 11th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Purrs on their way Jill. I too have elderly parents with health
problems, only TG not cancer or Altzheimers, but I know how hard it is.
My sister and I have to "bully" them now into doing what we think is
best for them, and my brother who lives only 2 miles away doesn't do
anything at all - he's a pig but there you go! The only thing I can
suggest is that instead of asking them if you can come down, is to put
it another way maybe, and say something like "mum I have some time off
work and could do with a holiday, can I come and stay with you for a
while?" - don't know if it would work for you, but it does for me, that
way my mum thinks she's going to be looking after me and makes a fuss
(for about 24 hours) then I take over.

All the best

Marcia & Otis

Old April 11th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Most of you know about his cancer. Some of you know about his mental health
not being so good; he's falling further into that chasm known as
Altzheimers.

Many purrs for you.

I remember during high school, my best friend's grandma had Alzheimers
and after the day she left the stove on all day and started a fire, her
family realized they could not leave her alone. When her mom was at
work and her dad was in the fields farming, my friend had to "baby sit"
her grandma; she was always grateful that I didn't mind coming over and
finding something to do in the house as opposed to going out, nor did I
mind her grandmother's strange conversations or inability to remember
who I was.

--Fil

Old April 11th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

More purrs and prayers on the way for your Dad and Mom.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old April 11th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Purrs Jill. My mom has AD, or something a lot like it, and it took my
sisters and me a long time to convince my dad to get help, and that he
didn't need to do it alone. There are a lot of good resources out
there, including a newsgroup, not to mention www.alz.org. Feel to free
to contact me off-list. Mom is finally safely ensconced in a small
residential facility where my dad can visit. He is doing so much better
without the stress of the day-to-day care.

Hugs
Caroline S.

Old April 11th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message

Most of you know about his cancer. Some of you know about his mental health
not being so good; he's falling further into that chasm known as
Altzheimers.///

There's not a lot to say really, apart from Big hugs for you, and purrs
and prayers for your mom and dad.

Helen M