larry's gone...

Old March 20th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default larry's gone...

Hi everyone, thanks for all the purrs!! We're all ok, no damage to us but a
lot of damage up here. The cats were a bit freaked out, but had a lovely
play outside this arvo (after it was all gone...aussie cyclones pass quickly
but are very intense). My friend in Innisfail had the eye pass directly over
her, but miraculously her house, car, herself and all cats survived with
minimal damage, although some neighbours lost houses. I will write more
tomorrow, as I'm a bit tired from clean up. thanks again for the purrs, Meee
(liz)

Old March 20th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

meee wrote:

Hi everyone, thanks for all the purrs!! We're all ok, no damage to us but a
lot of damage up here. The cats were a bit freaked out, but had a lovely
play outside this arvo (after it was all gone...aussie cyclones pass quickly
but are very intense). My friend in Innisfail had the eye pass directly over
her, but miraculously her house, car, herself and all cats survived with
minimal damage

I'm glad you and your family (bare and furred) are all OK, and that your
house is still standing. Same for your friend.

I have a semantic question. When you say "cyclone", do you mean a
hurricane? In the US, the word cyclone means a tornado, but what you
described sounds more like a hurricane/tropical storm. Tornadoes are
extremely unpredictable - they come on very quickly, almost without
warning, and it's very hard to predict what direction they'll go in
or how long they'll last. There's usually enough warning to get to
shelter, but not enough to board up the windows and buy supplies in
preparation, as one can do with a hurricane when you have many days
of warning. Also, to my knowledge, nobody has ever named a tornado.

I'm glad you got through it OK!

Joyce
Old March 20th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

meee wrote:
Hi everyone, thanks for all the purrs!! We're all ok, no damage to us
but a lot of damage up here. The cats were a bit freaked out, but had
a lovely play outside this arvo (after it was all gone...aussie
cyclones pass quickly but are very intense). My friend in Innisfail
had the eye pass directly over her, but miraculously her house, car,
herself and all cats survived with minimal damage, although some
neighbours lost houses. I will write more tomorrow, as I'm a bit
tired from clean up. thanks again for the purrs, Meee (liz)

I'm glad you're OK, and very glad there were no reports of any deaths.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 20th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
meee wrote:

[...]

It depends on where you are, they can be called hurricanes, cylones or
typhoons, all basically the same thing.

Old March 20th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
meee wrote:

[...]

In the northern hemisphere "hurricanes" rotate counterclockwise - in the
southern hemisphere "cyclones" rotate clockwise. I think that's why they
are named differently.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 20th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"meee" wrote in message
Hi everyone, thanks for all the purrs!! We're all ok, no damage to us but
a lot of damage up here. The cats were a bit freaked out, but had a lovely
play outside this arvo (after it was all gone...aussie cyclones pass
quickly but are very intense). My friend in Innisfail had the eye pass
directly over her, but miraculously her house, car, herself and all cats
survived with minimal damage, although some neighbours lost houses. I will
write more tomorrow, as I'm a bit tired from clean up. thanks again for
the purrs, Meee (liz)

I'm so glad that you're all OK, Liz. Purrs coming for a quick and easy
clean-up and to calm everyone's frazzled nerves.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 20th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
wrote in message
meee wrote:

[...]

On a similar note, I don't think typhoons rotate. I lived throught many of
those when I was growing up. I was always happy to hear schools were closed
because of typhoons. But the winds were scary.

Winnie

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 20th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
meee wrote:

Hi everyone, thanks for all the purrs!! We're all ok, no damage to us

but a
lot of damage up here. The cats were a bit freaked out, but had a

lovely
play outside this arvo (after it was all gone...aussie cyclones pass

quickly
but are very intense). My friend in Innisfail had the eye pass directly

over
her, but miraculously her house, car, herself and all cats survived

with
minimal damage

I'm glad you and your family (bare and furred) are all OK, and that your
house is still standing. Same for your friend.

I have a semantic question. When you say "cyclone", do you mean a
hurricane?

It was a category 5 hurricane and came to shore at over 180 mph. I'd call
that the equivalent of a hurricane! Glad you came through relatively
unscathed, meee.

kili