Giovanni Babbling

Old July 16th 12, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

Default Giovanni Babbling

Giovanni has been strangely good about coming home at a reasonable hour of
late. I believe Wednesday, if he makes it that far, will make an entire month
of not staying out all night - meaning I get no sleep going through the
useless exercise of calling for him. Of course, that last time, he broke his
previous record by not showing up until 8:15 AM the next morning. I keep
wondering where in the world he goes on those all-nighters, and just hope that
a coyote doesn't appear - they're not unknown here.

He still pees all over the house, and even nailed one of my laptops last week.
But one accepts the bad with the good. I think he really likes me, even if
he tries his best not to show it.

A couple days ago I was standing in my driveway and an unfamiliar car drove up
with two women inside. My first thought was "oh, no, I'm about to get hit by
the bible thumpers". I got ready to deliver the usual string of four letter
invectives that would make a drunken sailor blush. But it turned out they
were residents down my street looking for a lost kitty. Apparently it had
been an indoor cat for quite a few years, after originally being
indoor/outdoor, and had slipped out of the house. I mentioned that I hadn't
seen any unfamiliar cats recently, although of course I'd keep an eye open,
but if one showed up Giovanni would probably eat it for breakfast.

One lady asked "who is Giovanni?", and as if on cue a large shadow
suddenly appeared and he walked around the corner. She said "Oh! I see that
cat all the time" (Remember, they live some distance down my street.) "He
goes through my yard and I see him heading over toward the next block." All I
could do was cringe.

So wherever Giovanni disappears, I now know it isn't anywhere close. It's a
shame that the smallest GPS trackers are simply too big to use on a cat.

Art
Old July 17th 12, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/16/2012 01:56 PM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
[...]

Dumb question (probably): Have you really ever tried to train him to
use the litter box? if he sprays all over the house, how do you control
the odor? MLB
Old July 17th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , MLB wrote:

Dumb question (probably): Have you really ever tried to train him to
use the litter box? if he sprays all over the house, how do you control
the odor?

Not dumb. He knows perfectly well what a litter box is, and is no stranger to
using it. But he's just a feisty beast who sprays what he wants, when he
wants to. I've not figured out what to do about his attitude.

As for the odor, well, my washing machine gets lots of use and my housekeeper
is really good at working with rugs.

I wasn't kidding when I said one takes the bad with the good.

Art
Old July 17th 12, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/17/2012 10:59 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In , wrote:

Dumb question (probably): Have you really ever tried to train him to
use the litter box? if he sprays all over the house, how do you control
the odor?

Not dumb. He knows perfectly well what a litter box is, and is no stranger to
using it. But he's just a feisty beast who sprays what he wants, when he
wants to. I've not figured out what to do about his attitude.

As for the odor, well, my washing machine gets lots of use and my housekeeper
is really good at working with rugs.

I wasn't kidding when I said one takes the bad with the good.

Art

I really admire your patience. You have been very kind to all of your
pets and I do remember the great stories you wrote about them. The one
I read first (and remember the best) was the one about Banana Simian.
When I was about 18, we had Ginger, a huge orange unneutered tom. He
was a good cat but he insisted on staying out all night. Then in the
early AM he would jump six feet to the bedroom window to ask to come in.
Best wishes. MLB

Old July 17th 12, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MLB wrote:

On 07/17/2012 10:59 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:

I wasn't kidding when I said one takes the bad with the good.

I really admire your patience. You have been very kind to all of your
pets and I do remember the great stories you wrote about them. The one
I read first (and remember the best) was the one about Banana Simian.
When I was about 18, we had Ginger, a huge orange unneutered tom. He
was a good cat but he insisted on staying out all night. Then in the
early AM he would jump six feet to the bedroom window to ask to come in.

Aww, that must have been sweet.

The story I remember best from Arthur was the cat who had brain cancer (or
a tumor?), and the housekeeper ended up taking care of her. I can't remember
the cat's name now, but I do remember her photos.

--
Joyce

What business is it of the state how consenting adults choose to pair
off, share expenses and eventually stop having sex with each other?
-- Bill Maher
Old July 17th 12, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , Bastette wrote:

The story I remember best from Arthur was the cat who had brain cancer (or
a tumor?), and the housekeeper ended up taking care of her.

That was Eerz (which we decided was a better name than than Holyfield) - a
real sweetie in the eight months we were able to keep her alive.

Still have the housekeeper, however.

Art
Old July 18th 12, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

In article , Bastette wrote:

The story I remember best from Arthur was the cat who had brain cancer (or
a tumor?), and the housekeeper ended up taking care of her.

That was Eerz (which we decided was a better name than than Holyfield) - a
real sweetie in the eight months we were able to keep her alive.

Oh, Eerz - that's right! I think she knew that you had saved her life
(for a while), and given her a nice place to live out her remaining days.

--
Joyce

If you can't operate your turn signal, what makes you think you can
drive the rest of the car? -- bumper sticker