Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

Old August 27th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Default Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

Christina Websell wrote:
So why send cards out at that time ? Ignore it then.

There you go again, telling people what to do. Who do you think you are?

Also, please do not say that my views are "absolute nonsense." You can
disagree with me, that's fine, I have no problem with that but to say what I
think is "absolute nonsense" I find quite insulting.

It is nonsense when you think your views apply to the rest of us.

I have been trained in political correctness ad nauseum through my job.
I refuse to give up Christmas or referring to it like it was a bad word.

Nobody is asking you to give up Christmas. Like I said, you are free to
send Christmas cards to whoever you want. And Marina will send Yule
cards and someone else will send "Holiday" cards.

Stop trying to shove your beliefs down our throats!!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 27th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 27, 6:19*am, Cheryl wrote:
wrote:
It's a popular one, can't argue with that. But as someone from a non-
Christian background, I find Christmas a bit obliterating. (Though I
wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't so *garish*. Some non-Christians
may complain about the religious symbols, but I'd rather hear about
Jesus than about iPhones.)

Well, I'm from a Christian background, and always found the 'compulsory
happiness' and 'spend! spend! spend!' aspects overwhelming and
depressing - 'obliterating' is a good term.

I dealt with it by eliminating just about all the excess and eventually
getting back to my roots. I pick and choose what events I want to
participate in and what customs I want to maintain. It helps a lot with
that feeling of obliteration! (Keeping out of malls and away from ads as
much as humanly possible really helps, too.)

* I spent two successive Christmases in Istanbul. *There wasn't a lot
* of Christian imagery around, but there were quite a few Santas.
* (Since St Nicholas was from a place that is now part of Turkey, they
* could have tried to reclaim him as a national emblem, but I didn't
* actually see any Santas with star and crescent logos on their red
* outfits).

I didn't know that about Santa. This is probably akin to hating kittens
and puppies in some people's minds, but actually, I detest Santa. The
I've said it. The American Santa is probably a far cry from the Turkish
St. Nick, though.

I'm not at Santa fan, and any Santa ornaments etc were the first to go
during my simplification process. I don't have any particular problem
with him as a story for small children, but Santas for adults, at office
parties, and as a general, all-purpose symbol of the holiday - not for
me. Oh, if someone gives me a card with a Santa, I'm not going to turn
up my nose at it or the good wishes it represents, but I'm not going to
buy and give out cards with Santas on them myself, or wrap gifts in
Santa paper, or play 'secret Santa'...

* And LOTS of roast chestnuts, which I can't see anybody of
* any religion having a problem with.

As long as they don't SING about it!

I've never had roast chestnuts, and I've always wondered if they taste
as good as they sound.

*From my rare ventures to stores during the height of the Christmas
season, I've gathered that modern Christmas music is not to my taste. I
have a couple of boxes of tapes and CDs that are to my taste, so I'm all
set!

--
Cheryl

Aha! Staying away from the malls and large department stores is the
first thing I did too, when the "Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas" held
absolutely NO joy for me, not one iota. So how stupid is that? To
pretend you're celebrating something by stressing yourself crazy
and spending yourself into the poorhouse.

The holiday season is carefully orchestrated to where the consumer
really doesn't have a chance. It's evolved into customers trampling
each other (to death), all for the opportunity to spend money.

I love to get and receive cards, but I just haven't been up to it.
When you're not loving it, card-sending just turns into necessary
paperwork. I took the $40 I would have normally spent on postage
and sent to a wildlife rehabber that had taken some orphan squirrels
off my hands earlier in the year.

If you're not celebrating the Birth of Christ, I think it's logical
not
to use the term Christmas for the holidays. I just hate it when people
*tell* employees/others that they can't say it.

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays too, and am completely
ignorant
(by choice) of the true origins, history, etc. It's the only chance
kids get
to pretend they're a pirate or a princess for an evening and eat
themselves
sick on candy. It's a celebration that the horrid 100 degree temps of
Aug. and Sept. are over with, the weather is indescribably beautiful
here
in October. It's carving jack-o-lanters, decorating with gourds and
chrysanthemums
in bloom. And it still irritates me that the schools have put a taboo
on the "H-Word"
and now they have to say "Fall Festival."

Of course, this is the same school who decided the Rainbow Brite doll,
Smurfs
and unicorns were evil. (????)

So I guess that's my irony for the day.

Sherry
Old August 27th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Christina Websell wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
ictor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

It means that not everybody in the group is a christian or
celebrates x-mas.

Yes, I realised that already.
But the fact remains that if you send out cards in December they are
Christmas cards, whether or not you celebrate Christmas, that's what
they are.

Absolute nonsense, if you don't believe in the existance of Christ
how can they be Christmas cards?

So why send cards out at that time ? Ignore it then.
Also, please do not say that my views are "absolute nonsense." You
can disagree with me, that's fine, I have no problem with that but to
say what I think is "absolute nonsense" I find quite insulting.
I have been trained in political correctness ad nauseum through my
job. I refuse to give up Christmas or referring to it like it was a bad
word.
Tweed

I found your post insulting

Why? In what way? Did I say your view was nonsense? I think not.

, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, if you don't
want your beliefs chalanged then don't post them online. People have the
right to send cards for whatever reason they like.

Of course they do, but let's not pretend 25th December is not Christmas.
That's what annoys me. It is "holiday" No, it's an important part of the
Christian calendar, actually, and why it's suddenly not OK to ensure it
remains that way I don't quite understand.

Tweed

Old August 27th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default To Brits' Notice (non-Argumentative)

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 26, 12:11 pm, "Adrian" wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
ictor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I found your post insulting, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, if you
don't
want your beliefs chalanged then don't post them online. People have the
right to send cards for whatever reason they like.
--

I refuse to participate in contentious discussion re what goes on near
the end of the

--
Don't worry, hop. Adrian & I will fight it out, we like each other really
but sometimes have differing ideas which we like to defend.

Tweed

Old August 27th 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
So why send cards out at that time ? Ignore it then.

There you go again, telling people what to do. Who do you think you are?

I'll tell you who I am. I am a white British person whose culture is
disappearing in my home town and it concerns me.
Tweed

Old August 27th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
So why send cards out at that time ? Ignore it then.

There you go again, telling people what to do. Who do you think you
are?

I'll tell you who I am. I am a white British person whose culture is
disappearing in my home town and it concerns me.
Tweed

You're begining to sound like a racist bigot.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 27th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article
,
hopitus wrote:

I refuse to participate in contentious discussion re what goes on
near
the end of the
year. I respect everyone's choice of words for all of it and will
merely state that I use
massive amounts of colored lighting at the residence, which is a
PITA
because it must
all be way above the reach of the misguided felines who have the
urge
to attack and bite
the decorative and tempting arrays (electric shock not the least
danger to the short, furry
people).
Hoping to defuse the hostile commentary in this thread....I would
like
the say something
I have been wanting to here for some time, non-related to any
festivities whatsoever. I have
used for many years the finest bath soaps IMHO on
earth...hardmilled
body bars, with
various floral fragrances in varying strengths, all imported from
UK.
None of the soaps in
my country, USA, come close to the superiority of these English
soaps.
The prevailing
ads dominating our consumption of cleansing products for bath and
shower are for liquid
gels and bottled liquid cleansers all promising to do miraculous
thngs
to our skin, hair,
pores, etc.(yeah, right) which you do not see on the boxes
English
soaps are contained in.
Only the ingredients in the soap are listed, and they are not the
strange, exotic plant life
additives which I personally am bigtime allergic to....various
leaves,
roots, extracts, herbs
which cause me various levels of itching and rashes post-bathing.
IMHO
the USA soap
manufacturers don't know when to *quit* with the additives! Thank
God
I can buy these
simple, lovely, long-lasting soap bars from your country at
outlet
stores both in FL and
MileHigh near where I live and at a quite reasonable price. Thank
you,
Brits.
Let us all attempt to regain some semblance of civility here. Or
not.
LOL.

What a glowing tribute to our soaps. I hadn't realised how I take
these
for granted.

Judith

You would be shocked at the soap bars sold in US stores for the
shower. Well, maybe not, I'm sure you have the same ones as an
option. They disappear in a few showers.

I also have my own private stash of hard milled soap. But mine is
from Clinique, not imported.

Jo

Old August 27th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Christina Websell wrote:
So why send cards out at that time ? Ignore it then.

There you go again, telling people what to do. Who do you think you
are?

I'll tell you who I am. I am a white British person whose culture is
disappearing in my home town and it concerns me.
Tweed

You're begining to sound like a racist bigot.
--

Explain how I am an racist bigot for saying my culture is disappearing. It
is and I make no apology for saying so.

Old August 27th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:

I dealt with it by eliminating just about all the excess and eventually
getting back to my roots. I pick and choose what events I want to
participate in and what customs I want to maintain. It helps a lot with
that feeling of obliteration! (Keeping out of malls and away from ads as
much as humanly possible really helps, too.)

Yeah, I agree! I admit to enjoying my share of TV-watching, but the remote
is never far away for when the ads come on. I'm also lucky in that my
cable company has 4 public broadcasting stations and a number of independent
non-commercial stations as well. I watch several shows on commercial stations,
so I can't avoid ads altogether, but when I need a break from that, I have
a lot of choices.

Where I live, we don't really have malls per se. There are strip malls
(a string of connected stores, sharing one large parking lot, but not
housed inside a larger structure), and there are business districts in
different neighborhoods where the street is lined with stores for a few
blocks (your basic, old-fashioned "downtown" area, essentially). They
feel different from an indoor mall to me, but in general I try not to
shop in places where I will be attacked by aggressive Christmas displays.

From my rare ventures to stores during the height of the Christmas
season, I've gathered that modern Christmas music is not to my taste. I
have a couple of boxes of tapes and CDs that are to my taste, so I'm all
set!

That sounds lovely. Now if someone wanted to invite me to their house
for that kind of Christmas celebration, I'd be delighted.

(Not dropping hints, LOL - I live a little far from you for that! )

Joyce
--
The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.