my cat keeps losing his collar!

Old January 14th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Maxine G

Default my cat keeps losing his collar!

Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This doesn't
count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of the times he's
come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I suspect he's been
crawling under some brush that's snagged it.

It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we replace
a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.

We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and stretchy.
Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so that he CAN get
out of it in an emergency.

Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?

I've also considered getting some kind of device which would track the
collar, like one of those key rings that beeps. Any suggestions there?

Thanks,
Maxine

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net
Old January 14th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav, rec.pets.cats.misc
[email protected]

On Jan 14, 1:41 pm, Maxine G wrote:
[...]

I have the same problem with those Glo Kitty break away collars that
are supposed to reflect a cars headlights. He loses about one a month
or more. I wish they would make them so they just stretch over a cats
head to get them on, and they would be stretchy enough to protect the
cat should he get caught on something. I'm beginning to think mine
just hates the bell, and has figured out how to get it off. I caught
him on his hind legs trying to turn the door knob a few times, so that
doesn't seem unlikely...LOL!
Old January 14th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
AZ Nomad

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:41:39 GMT, Maxine G wrote:
Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This doesn't
count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of the times he's
come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I suspect he's been
crawling under some brush that's snagged it.

It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we replace
a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.

We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and stretchy.
Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so that he CAN get
out of it in an emergency.

Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?

There's no collar that can be kept on a cat if kitty doesn't want it there.
Choice 1) get a breakaway/stretchy and lose it. 2) get a standard collar
and risk kitty strangling 3) just do without.

Do you really need a magnetic cat door? Are there other cats trying to get
in? Raccoons? Very small children?
Old January 14th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Maxine G

AZ Nomad wrote in
:

[...]

Raccoons getting into cat doors are a big problem around here. Maybe we
just need to accept frequent replacement of collars.

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net
Old January 14th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
cybercat

"Maxine G" wrote
Raccoons getting into cat doors are a big problem around here. Maybe we
just need to accept frequent replacement of collars.

Or you could just let your cat out when you can be there to supervise.

Old January 15th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
blkcatgal

A great stretchy collar that you can try is Beastie Bands. They velcro
together but are made of a stretchy material that you could just slip over
the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light weight too. My cats wear
them and don't seem to mind. Check them out at catconnection.com. (That's
where I bought mine from.)

S.
---

Old January 15th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Maxine G

"blkcatgal" wrote in
:

A great stretchy collar that you can try is Beastie Bands. They
velcro together but are made of a stretchy material that you could
just slip over the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light
weight too. My cats wear them and don't seem to mind. Check them out
at catconnection.com. (That's where I bought mine from.)

S.

Thanks. That's the first one he lost!

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net
Old January 15th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
blkcatgal

Yes, my one cat somehow manages to get his off every once and awhile, too.
But he is strictly an indoor cat so I don't have the same issue as you. My
comment about Beastie Bands was also directed to sheelah who asked about a
type of collar that you could slip over the cat's head.

S.
---

"Maxine G" wrote in message
. 17.102...
"blkcatgal" wrote in
:

Old January 15th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:41:50 +0000, Maxine G wrote:

Raccoons getting into cat doors are a big problem around here. Maybe we
just need to accept frequent replacement of collars.

Been there, solved the problem. I have 15 cats and live in raccoon and
possum teritory. I used to have to chase them out nearly every night - I
even found a possum taking a nap in my computer room. The only varmin
that got inside in the last year was a coon that came in one night I left
the back door open too long. The cats, all but the oldest (very frail)
come and go at will through the new cat flap.

The secret is not the design of the cat flap or some special recognition
device, it's the placement of the flap: if the platform outside the flap
requires a leap of three feet or so to reach, cats have no problem but
raccoons and possums can't leap, and therefore can't reach the platform.
It has to be constructed so that the vermin can't reach it by climbing.

In this picture (http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/cat_flap.jpg),
Tigger is on the platform for the vermin proof version - the hole next to
the bottom of the door is the old one and has been blocked off.

It would be practical to put one in a window - just watch the length of
the leap and provide a reasonable platform for landing in both directions
(mine are the top step and the shelf.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old January 15th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:28:38 -0500, blkcatgal wrote:

A great stretchy collar that you can try is Beastie Bands. They velcro
together but are made of a stretchy material that you could just slip over
the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light weight too. My cats
wear them and don't seem to mind. Check them out at catconnection.com.
(That's where I bought mine from.)

I have to color code three red tabbies that I otherwise can't tell apart
- I make their collars by stapling the ends of a piece of 1/2 inch wide
sewing elastic that I have colored with permanent markers (sewing would be
better than stapling).

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

collar that doesn't come off? kitkat via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 28 October 24th 07 10:09 AM
Cat scratched off fur due to new collar FourCatServant Cat health & behaviour 21 August 1st 07 04:38 PM
Cat collar Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 4 May 31st 06 01:06 AM
Cat collar Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 13 May 23rd 06 11:37 AM
Fitting a collar Mat Overton Cats - misc 10 February 4th 04 03:50 PM