Greetings from under my rock

Old July 16th 11, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Greetings from under my rock

So I've been hearing this song on the radio a lot over the past few
weeks and it just got stuck in my head. Actually, it wasn't the song
itself that I was struck by, but the singing - a super-powerful voice
that would probably knock your socks off in person, but my small monaural
clock radio hardly does it justice.

Since the song had an easy to identify refrain, I went to Google and
typed it in - and got about 50 bazillion hits. The song is called "Rolling
in the Deep", by a singer named Adele, who is apparently well-known by
everyone in the modern world except me. Where have I been?

Well, not listening to pop music I guess. About 99% of the stuff on the
radio sounds like cr*p to me. And believe me, it's not about age - I was
glued to the radio in the 90s, when angry female singers and grunge bands
were all the rage, and I was already over 40. No, current pop music just
sounds like bland mush to me. Even the headbanger rock on the radio,
while loud and percussive, is also essentially bland.

Anyway, it's not like I'm suddenly a big fan of this singer, but it's
kind of amazing that someone could have a huge international following
for over 4 years and I wasn't even aware of her existence.

OK, back under my rock...

Joyce

--
I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
-- Edward Abbey
Old July 16th 11, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/16/2011 12:13 AM, wrote:
[...]

Well, don't feel bad, I *am* a pop fan and I've never heard of her or
the song. Now I'll have to go to youtube and check it out.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 16th 11, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/15/2011 11:13 PM, wrote:
[...]

You won't be under there by yourself. I, too, have never heard of that
singer or that song. n IMHO both radio and TV have lousy sound. I blame
the equipment. I do remember when listening to the radio was enjoyable,
but now it sounds terrible and there seems to be no way to correct it.
Best wishes. MLB
Old July 16th 11, 07:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 16, 12:13*am, wrote:
[...]

No, it's not just you. I had *heard* of Adele, but I couldn't name you
anything she'd ever recorded, or even "hum a few bars." LOL
It seems to me that all the current pop music sounds....*alike*.
Having
a teenager in the house, I could even sing along to pretty much
everything
and even *liked* a lot of it. After about 2000, I didn't have a clue
what
was on the top 40 anymore.
Amazon's mp3 site is a pretty good way to check out what's new and
listen to a short clip of the songs. Then you can usually go to
youtube
and hear the entire song. There are some unknown artists who upload
songs to Amazon and offer the download for free. I've actually
downloaded
a few of those that I really liked. It's one of my favorite late-night
insomniac
time-wasting activities.

Sherry
Old July 16th 11, 09:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 15, 11:13*pm, bast wrote:
[...]

Went to Y.T. No comment on what I saw there. Would you come out from
under your rock tor this?
http://www.adele.tv/live/308/berkeley-ca

Old July 16th 11, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
shirleycatuk[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

You might have heard her sing this it's been used in some tv shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnn9JlqqTE4

--

shirley x
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Old July 16th 11, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

shirleycatuk wrote:

Anyway, it's not like I'm suddenly a big fan of [Adele], but it's
kind of amazing that someone could have a huge international following
for over 4 years and I wasn't even aware of her existence.

You might have heard her sing this it's been used in some tv shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnn9JlqqTE4

Oh, that was one of the ones I watched last night. Nope, I don't now
that song. Apparently it's a Bob Dylan song, but I don't know his version
either.

Joyce

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?
Old July 22nd 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 16, 7:17*pm, nobody wrote:
On 16 Jul 2011 05:13:15 GMT, wrote:

Rolling
in the Deep", by a singer named Adele

She's a VERY good vocalist...no Christie McVie..., but still very good.

But, she uses back up vocals. They're just a distraction.

It would be better to user her OWN voice, in post production. Enya is
the master, at that.

Kind of hard to do in concerts, without using tracks, though.

The lyrics are very powerful.

The music...meh. She doesn't even HAVE a lead guitarist.

But still, head and shoulders above all the 'popular' carp, these days.

I've never heard it before.

I'll have to look into her music, see if any of her other work is as
good.

Thanks!

Snork. At least I know who Enya is.....I wanted to hear/see this but
have a mediaplayer problem at home
with vids on YouTube so went to her website. All I could take in there
was her album cover (pro portrait
closeup shot, cleverly shadowed in exactly the right spots) which told
me nothing about the singing or
that song. Abandoned task.
Now I am at a relatives with killer Bose speakers attached and no
mediaplayer problems here so just
tried again. Was impressed by talent of Adele and yes, she has Celine
Dion volume power as well. I
realize song (sadly unintelligable, as some comments below vid pointed
out, I had to look up "lyrics''
at another link) is a lament, etc. and graphic examples of "broken"
whatever relate to song....but from its
beginning I was giggling at *the settings* as I swear they did Adele
major injustice by using same staircase,
foyer, draped walls, etc. as many, many episodes of Criminal Minds I
watch on tv late at night! Did her
promoters do this to *save money* by using sets from other venues/
media?
I went to all this effort to view/hear Adele per recommendations here,
as I am an incurable heavy metal/
hard rock person and there are tons of pops I never heard of unless
they make a**** of themselves that
go viral....like Spears, Lohan, Rhianna, Aguilera, etc.and make
headlines. Likewise, have no idea what is
selling well in pop vids currently; from what the named offenders here
show on tv looks like bootyworking.