My cat often makes a funny noise when breathing.

Old June 3rd 04, 07:21 PM
Chrissy11

Default My cat often makes a funny noise when breathing.

I adopted a cat from a shelter recently and have noticed that she often
makes a funny noise when she is breathing. It sounds like a creaky
floorboard. I took her to a vet, and he said her chest is ok, and that
maybe she has a narrow windpipe. But I still feel very concerned about it,
as I have had several cats over the years, and none has ever made this
sort of sound before. I also feel that the vet was very vague. I am
unemployed and so am worried about possible high vet bills in future.
Also, if this funny noise does turn out to be a big problem in future, any
pet insurance I may take out wouldn't cover it, as it is a pre-existing
condition. I am seriously wondering if I should return her to the shelter.
Please can someone advise me, as I feel pretty desperate about the
situation.

Old June 3rd 04, 10:42 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:21:16 -0400, "Chrissy11"
wrote:

I adopted a cat from a shelter recently and have noticed that she often
makes a funny noise when she is breathing. It sounds like a creaky
floorboard. I took her to a vet, and he said her chest is ok, and that
maybe she has a narrow windpipe. But I still feel very concerned about it,
as I have had several cats over the years, and none has ever made this
sort of sound before. I also feel that the vet was very vague. I am
unemployed and so am worried about possible high vet bills in future.
Also, if this funny noise does turn out to be a big problem in future, any
pet insurance I may take out wouldn't cover it, as it is a pre-existing
condition. I am seriously wondering if I should return her to the shelter.
Please can someone advise me, as I feel pretty desperate about the
situation.

My cat has done this too. She was a rescued stray so other than being
an obvious mixed tabby, we did not know her background. I have a
hunch there was a persian in her ancestry and she probably inherited
the nasal breathing problem. It seems to occur less and less as she
gets older.
Old June 4th 04, 06:07 AM
Crdamz

I have noticed that both of my cats seem to have developed a sound as they
breathe, too. It seems most prominent when they are sleeping.
I well understand your concern, both for the kitty and for any vet bills
that might mount in the future---I am quite in the same fix as you.
Here are some things to consider: Does her physical activity seem to be
limited or affected by her breathing this way? Is she coughing at all, or does
she seem to experience any or more congestion during a certain time of the day?
Is she 'overweight' for a kitty? Is she lethargic? ( I know this one sounds
like a trick question for a cat :-), but is she not eating and acting as though
she really doesn't want to be bothered with anyone?) If her chest sounds
clear and her behavior and activity are not affected, it probaby isn't anything
to worry about. She may just be slightly overweight or have a little bit of an
allergy---especially if it seems louder at a certain time of the day. The
shelter almost certainly will have done tests for feline leukemia and flu, so
the fact that you got her at all says that it is unlikely she has any sort of
harmful disease. Not knowing what her ancestry is, she may have some part of a
breed in her that has a shortened skull or something and maybe 'wheezing' is a
character trait for her.
If, however, there is congestion in her chest, as opposed to her nose, and
she doesn't eat for a few days, has a temperature, or you definitely notice a
decline in her overall appearance or temperment, then it is time to worry.
Call the vet again and describe the change in her and ask if he could have
missed something.
Definitely call the shelter you got her from and tell them of your
concerns. Ask if they have had any cats that yours was exposed to come up sick
since she left. They can tell you if any have come thru with pneumonia or
anything else that they might have missed with testing.
In the end, if you really feel that there is definitely something wrong,
take her back to the shelter. If she is sick, THEY need to treat her. If she is
not, neither of you is the worse for wear, and she will likely find another
home.
BTW-- after asking myself all the questions I just asked you, I decided
that my cats are fat and they snore. Neither their behavior nor activity has
changed, they just seem to wheeze a little when they lie down to rest. I have
mold in my basement because the spring rains have been coming in through the
foundation. Maybe they are allergic? I have moved their litter box upstairs
just in case they are.
I hope I have been some help to you. Forgive the length of my reply, I
just wanted to be thorough and help you think through your observations.
I hope you and your kitty enjoy many happy years together! Please do let
me know how things turn out.
-cindy