OMG! One more reason to NOT declaw...

Old August 9th 03, 05:58 PM

Sharon wrote:
And sometimes in a very few cases it needs to be an option. VERY FEW CASES.
I understand your views and I sympathize. But a blind attack on my character
is uncalled for.

Yeah, very very few. I've heard of one or two cases where it was
justified. One was a cat that was tearing itself to pieces and nothing,
drugs, therapy, was making it stop (it wuold constantly scratch itself to
bleeding). Declawing made it so the cat could scratch all she wanted
without harming herself.

The other I wouldn't be for a full declawing but the cat had like seven
toes and one of them was inbetween toes with a claw that didn't retract
and obviously would constantly poke at the other toes.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 9th 03, 05:58 PM

Sharon wrote:
And sometimes in a very few cases it needs to be an option. VERY FEW CASES.
I understand your views and I sympathize. But a blind attack on my character
is uncalled for.

Yeah, very very few. I've heard of one or two cases where it was
justified. One was a cat that was tearing itself to pieces and nothing,
drugs, therapy, was making it stop (it wuold constantly scratch itself to
bleeding). Declawing made it so the cat could scratch all she wanted
without harming herself.

The other I wouldn't be for a full declawing but the cat had like seven
toes and one of them was inbetween toes with a claw that didn't retract
and obviously would constantly poke at the other toes.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 9th 03, 06:03 PM

Sharon wrote:
It's the insinuation that vets are in it for the money that gets me. I wish.
Can't even begin to tell you how much we have given away in products and
services. House calls on lunch half hours, calls all night. It certainly

I don't think all vets that declaw are in it for the money, but I do think
there probably is a good amount that do.

I work for a vet and he most definitely is not trying to get the money
from people. He's never suggested it, but he never tells epople it's a bad
option if they ask for it (but he doesn't seem to mind me trying to
convince them to try other options). I wish he would but he is of
different opinion than me. And I'm sure he's not in it for the money when
I see him all time do things that most vets wouldn't (like he will let
people pay in payment plans even though he ends up with people who have
1000 dollars or so of debt that in the end leave him with that debt and
never pay him back, and he doesn't put them in collection as long as they
show him they're trying, even 20 dollars a month when they owe that
thousand dollars of debt).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 9th 03, 06:03 PM

Sharon wrote:
It's the insinuation that vets are in it for the money that gets me. I wish.
Can't even begin to tell you how much we have given away in products and
services. House calls on lunch half hours, calls all night. It certainly

I don't think all vets that declaw are in it for the money, but I do think
there probably is a good amount that do.

I work for a vet and he most definitely is not trying to get the money
from people. He's never suggested it, but he never tells epople it's a bad
option if they ask for it (but he doesn't seem to mind me trying to
convince them to try other options). I wish he would but he is of
different opinion than me. And I'm sure he's not in it for the money when
I see him all time do things that most vets wouldn't (like he will let
people pay in payment plans even though he ends up with people who have
1000 dollars or so of debt that in the end leave him with that debt and
never pay him back, and he doesn't put them in collection as long as they
show him they're trying, even 20 dollars a month when they owe that
thousand dollars of debt).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 9th 03, 10:02 PM
Sherry

-Sharon (vet-wifey who NEVER advocated routine declaws)

So exactly what kind of declawing do you advocate?

*Any* declaw performed for other than medical reasons is a routine declaw.

Sherry